VW Bus Camper Top

Old May 21st 07, 12:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Default VW Bus Camper Top

I have a 76 Westy. It's been a long and rainy spring - and the top
has collected lots of dark looking mold. Probably has not been
cleaned in years. I have two questions:

1) What's the best product to by to clean the top (and technic)
2) Has any one had expierence painting these tops?

Exactly what are the tops made of, fiberglass? Maybe I need to head to
a boat store.

Thanks!

Old May 21st 07, 02:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
[email protected][_1_]

On May 20, 7:03�pm, wrote:
> I have a 76 Westy. *It's been a long and rainy spring - and the top
> has collected lots of dark looking mold. *Probably has not been
> cleaned in years. *I have two questions:
>
> 1) What's the best product to by to clean the top (and technic)
> 2) Has any one had expierence painting these tops?
>
> Exactly what are the tops made of, fiberglass? Maybe I need to head to
> a boat store.
>
> Thanks!

I have had very good luck cleaning with non abrasive comit and also
have painted with basecoat/clear coat paints but sure you can use
marine paint.

Mario
Vintage Werks resto

Old May 21st 07, 02:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
TrailBlazer

Wow, good call on the Comet. Nice and cheap solution. And probably
just as well as some fancy expensive cleaner I suspect. More
specifically, which type did you use. I guess I am only familiar with
the powder type, which seems abrasive.
Here is there site:
http://www.cometcleanser.com/cleansers.htm
http://www.cometcleanser.com/bath.htm

Any additional info would be great!

Thanks Mario.

Old May 21st 07, 10:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Erik Dillenkofer

When I cleaned/detailed fiberglass boats for a living we used soft scrub
with bleach. Doesn't scratch the glass and gets it nice and bright. Followed
up with hand rubbed caranuba. By the way, there's a lot of fiberglass on a
42 ft sportfisherman!

ups.com...

Old May 22nd 07, 02:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
[email protected][_1_]

On May 21, 5:35�pm, "Erik Dillenkofer" >
wrote:
> When I cleaned/detailed fiberglass boats for a living we used soft scrub
> with bleach. Doesn't scratch the glass and gets it nice and bright. Followed
> up with hand rubbed caranuba. By the way, there's a lot of fiberglass on a
> 42 ft sportfisherman!
>
> "TrailBlazer" > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...
>

> > Wow, good call on the Comet. Nice and cheap solution. And probably
> > just as well as some fancy expensive cleaner I suspect. *More
> > specifically, which type did you use. *I guess I am only familiar with
> > the powder type, which seems abrasive.
> > Here is there site:
> >http://www.cometcleanser.com/cleansers.htm
> >http://www.cometcleanser.com/bath.htm

> > Any additional info would be great!

> > Thanks Mario.- Hide quoted text -

I use the comet soft cleaner with bleach.

If you have a buffer you can wet sand with 1000 grit sand paper then
buff l.

Mario
Vintage Werks resto

Old May 22nd 07, 06:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
PML

I'd never try the comet, having a boat I know that it is too abrasive on
fiberglass, even the non abrasive stuff. The thing I found that works
great is a solution of equal parts Simple Green, Chlorine and water.

Most of the residue on the fiberglass is organic so the chlorine kills
the mildew, simple green cleans and water helps simple green work
better! I also use a stiff and soft bristle boat scrubbing brush,
available for $25 at a boat store. I just did the to my 76 camper before
I sold it, it went from black to white in 30 minutes after 2 years of
not cleaning it.

Phil
http://www.CtVwA.com

4x4 Camper Van Tyler Durden 4x4 0 December 15th 04 12:30 AM
4x4 Camper Van Tyler Durden 4x4 0 December 15th 04 12:29 AM
4x4 Camper Van Tyler Durden 4x4 0 December 15th 04 12:29 AM
4x4 Camper Van Tyler Durden 4x4 0 December 15th 04 12:19 AM
Big VW Camper dave VW water cooled 2 November 22nd 04 06:40 PM