A lap around "The Ring"

Old March 29th 05, 06:25 PM
MartyU

Steve Smith wrote:
> I'm soooooooo sorry. This is all my fault. I was the one that injected
> politics into an otherwise polite discussion of the virtual world vs.
> reality. We oughtta have a rule like the one at my family's dinner table:
> no POLITICS and no RELIGION. Can we all agree on that?

No. The unwillingness of good people to look greed and corruption in the
face and speak up, as if dirty politics doesn't effect them, is the
American cultural sickness that has got us into a bogus war for oil and
fear, roll back of environmental protection if it stands in the crony
corporate profit, new ways for big government to invade our private
lives, etc., etc., etc.

But I take your point Steve, there is a time and place for everything.
But I'm not sure it is necessarily inappropriate here where the subject
is otherwise about entertainment through a simulated experience, as much
as I love it too.

Besides, how else would we come to know what a right-wing loon Randy is?

Marty
Old March 29th 05, 06:32 PM
MartyU

Stephen F. wrote:
> "John Wallace" > wrote in message
>
>>Steve Smith wrote:
>>
>>>In this country, John, hatchbacks are considered down around the ankles
>>>as
>>>far as style, class, and taste are concerned;

>><splutter>
>>
>>I openly weep for the evolution of our species. So you're telling me that
>>as I sit at the lights in my Lancia Delta Integrale, your average
>>knuckle-scraping, SUV-driving, Bush-voting moron is going to think *he*
>>has the automotive class, and *I* have the "Elvis on velvet"?
>>

> Most would simply shake their head at your "furrin" car.
>
> Then again, those in the know would probably still shake their head and
> wonder why you would put up with such a tempermental car. I had considered
> an Integrale Evo for a while, but couldn't come to grips with the various
> electrical issues, or ultimately with the rather sad image the car has here
> in Switzerland. The Escort Cossie, Sport Quattro and Integrale were all
> awesome rally machines, no doubt, but just too wild for daily use (IMHO) and
> although in a whole different league than the Manta/Camaro/Capri of old
> days, still a modern "mullet-head" car (even if the modern equivalent driver
> doesn't have a mullet). I'm not saying this is a justly deserverd
> reputation, but it seems to be the case - for every driver who appreciates
> the rally heritage and dynamic talents of the Integrale, there are 10
> hooligans who just like to make the wastegate go Whoop-Whoop while eyeing
> the ladies from their slammed-to-the-floor Sparco seat. I prefer more of a
> Q-ship, or a classic roadster. For my tastes, the current generation of
> Subaru STis and Mitsu Evos are also just a little too boy racer for me.
>
> But I diverge. The sad thing is that Americans don't appreciate the
> hatchback anymore...
>
> Stephen

VW Golf R32....

Yum.

Marty
Old March 29th 05, 11:24 PM
JP

"JP" > wrote in message

> "John Wallace" > wrote in message
> > Randy Magruder wrote:
> >
> > > I'm continually baffled that you can't grasp the simple concept of
> > > innocence and guilt. What crime has Terri Schaivo commited that earns
> > > her a death penalty? What crime is an unborn infant guilty of? I'm
> > > not sure why the concept of not punishing the innocent is so baffling
> > > to you...but that will remain one of the mysteries of life.

> > So I presume you stood against Madelaine Albright's view that the
> > killing of half a million children in Iraq was "a price worth paying"?
> > Terri Schiavo, in comparison, is not even worthy of mention.
> >
> > Sometimes Stalin really did say it best

> Cite for the Albright quote ?

Didn't think so. Figures.

Old March 30th 05, 08:03 AM
Stephen F.

"MartyU" > wrote in message

> VW Golf R32....
>
> Yum.
>
> Marty

Wait until you see the next-gen Golf GTI which VW will send to the states in
2006. We already have it here. It's a back-to-basics car (as much as is
possible in an era of airbags, ABS, ESP, crush zones, necessary comfort
etc.) which makes the old R32 really look like the overweight cruiser it
was. A healthy and reliable 200hp from a blown 2.0L, and bags of torque as
early as 1800rpm. Available with the DSG transmission (double clutch,
uninterrupted power on upshifts) and the first decent suspension in a long
time from VW. Very nice machine, and likely to rekindle the North American
interest in hatchbacks to some degree.

Stephen

p.s. A shame you won't see the Ford Focus ST... it will be another killer
car. Not to mention the crazy 180hp Seat *turbodiesel* Ibiza which has more
torque than a locomotive. Or the Civic Type R.

Old March 30th 05, 12:30 PM
Asgeir Nesoen

Oh, so you don't have arguments, thus unable to debate. Very well. I knew that.

You fit perfectly my impression of the vast majority of americans.

---A---

Old March 30th 05, 01:40 PM
Asgeir Nesoen

Now, instead of being blind and deaf, why don't you listen to what John actually
said? He said: "Sometimes Stalin really did say it best".

I am sure Stalin said a lot of good things, and he may even have put it well.
But that doesn't make him a better person, of course, but that was never the
intention of john's either.

Some people hear "Stalin", and their petty minds start shortcutting and sizzle,
and their minds just produce crap and ********.

---Asgeir---

Old March 30th 05, 02:20 PM
Asgeir Nesoen

Albright used this number in a specific question concerning the trade blockade
herself.

People die when they suffer from ground water radiation and don't get medical
care due to no medication available, you know.

The blockade was the most ghastly treatment of the iraqui people, since the only
victims were the ones completely without guilt whatsoever.

---A---

Old March 30th 05, 02:28 PM
Asgeir Nesoen

Try this:
http://www.thirdworldtraveler.com/Hu..._children.html

Or this:
http://www.fff.org/comment/com0311c.asp

Or this:
http://www.fair.org/index.php?page=1084

The only thing you have to do is to open your eyes.

---A---

Old March 30th 05, 02:59 PM
JP

"Asgeir Nesoen" > wrote in message
> Albright used this number in a specific question concerning the trade

blockade
> herself.
>
> People die when they suffer from ground water radiation and don't get

medical
> care due to no medication available, you know.
>
> The blockade was the most ghastly treatment of the iraqui people, since

the only
> victims were the ones completely without guilt whatsoever.
>
> ---A---
>
> rmagruder wrote:
> > Where do you get "half a million children" from?

To bad Iraq invaded Kuwait then, eh ? Never would have happened if not.

Old March 30th 05, 03:07 PM
JP

"Asgeir Nesoen" > wrote in message
> Try this:
> http://www.thirdworldtraveler.com/Hu..._children.html

> Or this:
> http://www.fff.org/comment/com0311c.asp

> Or this:
> http://www.fair.org/index.php?page=1084
>
> The only thing you have to do is to open your eyes.
>
> ---A---

<laughter>

I'd suggest you open yours. But thanks for verifying the quote, with the
second and third link. First one didn't at all.

As to the quote, so ? You read her other remarks, right ? Didn't think
so.

And again, and how did/who's fault was it that the sanction come about ?
Put the tin beenie down, and try a thinking cap.

"Al Qaeda" does not exist Awake BMW 64 March 10th 05 11:25 AM
99 Cobra cracked ring cgun Ford Mustang 10 February 22nd 05 04:33 PM
Anyone heard the new NFL Ring tones? [email protected] Driving 4 January 11th 05 01:40 PM
cause of broken ring gear teeth RLGIRSCH 4x4 0 October 11th 04 09:05 PM