A lap around "The Ring"

Old March 28th 05, 10:26 AM
Uwe Schürkamp

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 18:21:58 GMT, Mitch_A wrote:

> Europe has went off the deep end. This kind of thinking was considered the
> lunatic fringe not long ago, what the hell happened to reason and common
> sense over their??

Ironically, the same thing could be said of the other side of the
atlantic, too. Remember: when you're arguing with an idiot, chances
are high he's doing the same! ;-)

All the best,

uwe

--
GPG Fingerprint: 2E 13 20 22 9A 3F 63 7F 67 6F E9 B1 A8 36 A4 61
Old March 28th 05, 10:28 AM
Uwe Schürkamp

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 17:35:42 -0600, Randy Magruder wrote:

> coincidentally, is also where the second shooter on the grassy knoll
> has retired and is living comfortably sipping cocktails with Elvis)

Wrong! We all know Elvis was abducted by Martians. That's why both
Beagle and Mars Observer were shot down when they approached their
home planet ;-)

All the best,

uwe

--
GPG Fingerprint: 2E 13 20 22 9A 3F 63 7F 67 6F E9 B1 A8 36 A4 61
Old March 28th 05, 10:31 AM
Uwe Schürkamp

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 22:07:16 +0100, John Wallace wrote:
> JP wrote:
>> Um, in your post ?
>>
>> But then, this is priceless too, from another post,......"Mitch - this
>> ain't the place for politics, ....."
>>
>> So, you can post political comments, but not others ? Interesting.

> I was apologising for the fact that *I* was about to go off topic.
>
> I made no comment on what others should or should not do. You should try
> it sometime.

C'mon guys, everybody enjoys a good old GWB flamewar in here every
once in a while. This phenomenon is bound to stay with us here for the
next three years or so ;-)

All the best, uwe

--
GPG Fingerprint: 2E 13 20 22 9A 3F 63 7F 67 6F E9 B1 A8 36 A4 61
Old March 28th 05, 02:03 PM
JP

"Uwe Schürkamp" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 22:07:16 +0100, John Wallace wrote:
> > JP wrote:
> >> Um, in your post ?
> >>
> >> But then, this is priceless too, from another post,......"Mitch -

this
> >> ain't the place for politics, ....."
> >>
> >> So, you can post political comments, but not others ? Interesting.

> > I was apologising for the fact that *I* was about to go off topic.
> >
> > I made no comment on what others should or should not do. You should try
> > it sometime.

> C'mon guys, everybody enjoys a good old GWB flamewar in here every
> once in a while. This phenomenon is bound to stay with us here for the
> next three years or so ;-)
>
> All the best, uwe
>

> --
> GPG Fingerprint: 2E 13 20 22 9A 3F 63 7F 67 6F E9 B1 A8 36 A4 61

Hehe, good point. <g>

Old March 28th 05, 03:00 PM
Dave

In article >, "Randy Magruder" > wrote:
[...]

I was looking forward to seeing one of auto sim worlds most
esteemed denizens contributing some welcome insight on the sim
world. Instead ...

Oh well.

Back to rec.autos.simulators.OT.political.opinionated.driv el (from
all sides) ...
Old March 28th 05, 03:52 PM
John Wallace

Randy Magruder wrote:

> LOL! It's really funny how when you don't have an enemy, you can
> create one.

Like the Russians? Like Al Quaeda? Like "The War On Terror"?

Should it be any surprise that Dick Cheney stated the war on terror
could last fifty years or more? It's the perfect "non enemy" to justify
any spending, any rolling back of civil liberties, the bill of liberties
in the US, trial by jury over here.

Vastly greater numbers of people die on the roads each year than have
ever been killed by all terrorists in history. Our own corporations kill
more every year in the name of profit, peddling tobacco and fat/sugar
laden crap for the populace to later die from. Compared to 9/11, twice
as many children die every day from the effects of poverty, but our
efforts to do anything about that are pitiful.

Asking as a human being, why should that be? Iraqi children are dying
from cancers caused by OUR depleted uranium shells (WMDs? No, because we
used them), and the hospital facilities treat them with....a bottle of
aspirin. Why, because that's all that Britain and the US allowed in
under the embargo, despite the UN resolution specifically allowing such
drugs.

I think everyone can agree that's a tragedy, yes? But look at the media
clamour over Terri Shiavo (a person) compared to the media silence over
thousands of Iraqi children dying of cancer and preventible diseases.

Please don't read into this that I'm knocking your beliefs, I'm not. I'm
just stating mine. I find it fascinating that two people, albeit from
different perspetives and with differently "apun" information can arrive
at such different opinions on the same topic. It's fine as long as both
are open for discussion.

However, we need to recognise truly who and where the enemies are, and
have some sense of proportion.
Old March 28th 05, 03:53 PM
John Wallace

JP wrote:

>>By the way, it's "allusion".

> Gee, thanks Mom.
>
> But at the same time, to be expected.

Yes, I'd imagined you would by now have become accustomed to people
correcting you.
Old March 28th 05, 03:55 PM
John Wallace

Randy Magruder wrote:
> John Wallace wrote:
>

>>You have to admit though, the French guy has a shred of a point. I'm
>>far from saying he's right, but I've never seen a plane disappear
>>into a hole smaller than itself, nor leave any trace of wreckage,
>>bodies, seats, luggage, or any of the other debris we've all seen in
>>every other plane crash.
>>
>>It is wierd

> Okay, John, you win -- 9/11 was cooked up by Bush in Area 51 (which
> coincidentally, is also where the second shooter on the grassy knoll
> has retired and is living comfortably sipping cocktails with Elvis)

Oh come on Randy, that is the lamest non-argument. FFS at least deal
with the question - if you can't answer it, are you yourself not curious
as to why?!

I thought such questioning was an innate part of humanity.
Old March 28th 05, 04:08 PM
John Wallace

Randy Magruder wrote:

> Saddam Hussein's "views" didn't gas the kurds and the Iranians, my
> friend, nor did they invade a neighboring country and turn it into a
> miniature 3rd reich, complete with secret police.

There isn't the time to go into how wrong you are about the above
statements, not I suspect the willingness on your side to open your mind
to it. I used to believe what you did, was challenged on it, and
researched for myself. I urge you to do the same.

>>If he wanted to make the world better, stopping his world bank
>>buddies raping the third world, and his arms manufacturing other
>>buddies selling even more weapons to them, would have been a far
>>better place to start.

> You and Marty must be reading the same web sites!

Do you disagree? Sufficient weapons exist to kill everyone on the planet
four times over. Do you think the world will be a better place when we
spend further trillions on making that five or six, or could the effort
be used more profitably?

I have as much fight with the average Iraqi as I do with you, my next
door neighbour, or indeed the average Chinese or any other person in the
world. Why do we feel the need to pigeon-hole them, correction, to have
them pigeon-holed for us into "like" and "hate"? Or live and die? Saddam
was the US' best buddy back in the 80's, and again in the 90's, as was
Suharto in days gone by, as was Noriega, etc etc - the list is endless.
Old March 28th 05, 04:11 PM
John Wallace

Randy Magruder wrote:

> I'm continually baffled that you can't grasp the simple concept of
> innocence and guilt. What crime has Terri Schaivo commited that earns
> her a death penalty? What crime is an unborn infant guilty of? I'm
> not sure why the concept of not punishing the innocent is so baffling
> to you...but that will remain one of the mysteries of life.

So I presume you stood against Madelaine Albright's view that the
killing of half a million children in Iraq was "a price worth paying"?
Terri Schiavo, in comparison, is not even worthy of mention.

Sometimes Stalin really did say it best.

"Al Qaeda" does not exist Awake BMW 64 March 10th 05 11:25 AM
99 Cobra cracked ring cgun Ford Mustang 10 February 22nd 05 04:33 PM
Anyone heard the new NFL Ring tones? [email protected] Driving 4 January 11th 05 01:40 PM
cause of broken ring gear teeth RLGIRSCH 4x4 0 October 11th 04 09:05 PM