yes, it's a mileage thread

Old January 25th 10, 04:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Default yes, it's a mileage thread

XS11E wrote:

> You're very surprised, unfortunately. I've never got to 30mpg, ever.
>
> Problem with an NA is it's straining to stay with traffic, 80+ mph is
> too fast for good economy in that car but below 80 mph is instant rear
> end accident.
>
> NOTE: What IS reasonable highway speed? I've followed a guy in a 18
> wheeler running 90mph between Indio and Blythe on I-10, a guy in a
> Surburban at around 108 mph (I was almost 7 years younger and much more
> reckless then.)
>
> That was on the bike, of course, I don't know if the Miata will go 105
> nor can I afford the cost if the CHP decides that's too fast!

I am talking about what the car can do, not what it can do with you at
the wheel. :-)

If I bought your Miata from you, I am sure that I could squeeze better
mileage out of it than I did out of my heavier '96M with a larger
engine, unless you have something adversely affecting the fuel economy.

I typically drive 70-ish in a 65, almost never 80. No problems so far
with being rear-ended at 70MPH, even in heavy traffic, but tickets are a
guaranteed thing at 80MPH around here, and I can't really afford even 10
or 15 over.

Just one speeding ticket in the last 15 years, and two warnings, (one
was for 65 in a 60, sheesh), knock on sheet metal.......

Pat
Old January 25th 10, 04:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

TRCSr wrote:
> As far as measuring mileage, heretofor I have kept a record of every
> fill up and noted whether it was highway or city driving, or towing a
> trailer, or in the mountains. That way I could get an idea of the effect
> of different conditions. Not perfect, but the main reason for this
> is/was to see if the mileage starts to go down under similar conditions
> I can find out why and correct it before it gets too serious. I still do
> that with my Ford F-150 and Ford E-350 Class B motorhome. I don't do it
> for my wife's Toyota as it has a mileage meter built in as does my
> Miata. Both can be reset at anytime and I do this if I am changing the
> type of driving; I.e. going on a trip that will involve mostly highway
> driving.
>
> What good does lying about your mileage do? Is this just some form of
> macho ****ing contest?
>
> For the most part I don't use the mileage readings as absolute, but
> mostly for comparative reasons, as I mentioned before. It gives me a
> ball park idea of how I compare with others and that is all. As an
> example, I had a Chevy Tracker that got 27 to 28 mpg for most of the
> time. It was always driven under the same mixed conditions of city and
> highway driving. The mileage started dropping and when it got down to
> the 24 mpg range I started doing some investigating and found the EGR
> valve was malfunctioning and the block passages were blocked. Cleaning
> everything then probably saved me much more extensive and expensive
> repairs later on.
>
> TRCSr

That makes sense, and seems like a good idea, I am just not ever that
organized. What mileage do you get out of the motorhome?

****ing contest? Here? Never.......Actually there is not a lot of that
here.

If your foot is heavy and you hit redline a lot then the mileage can get
pretty low.
Try hard enough to drive with a light foot and it is very economical.
Not a lot of fun to drive it that way, maybe, but possible for most
people. BTW, I know I am just stating the obvious. :-)

My current Miata, with a turbo, 550CC fuel injectors/upgraded fuel rail
and a high-flow fuel pump, is just an exaggerated version of this.

On the highway it does pretty well, very close to stock. Lay into it
with a lot of stop and go and that number drops to less than half of
what it was on the open highway.

I remember that Lanny did a club contest long ago for the best mileage
and his numbers were pretty impressive.

Pat
Old January 25th 10, 04:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Stephen Toth wrote:

> The '93 averaged 30-31 mpg while I drove it.
> That was a mixed driving environment In its early days: Daily commute
> was about 44 mi. one way - 2 mi. local small town - 24 mi. non-divided
> hwy (traffic lights - avg 50 mpg) - 14 mi. interstate (70-75 mpg) - 4
> mi. in city (Philly). Even stop and go because of traffic and accidents
> did not change it much. Biggest difference was winter when it would
> drop to 29-29 mpg.
> My son claims to still get about 30 mpg now with mixed small town and
> hwy driving.
>
> With the '06 I get 26-29 mpg mixed, And have gotten 35-36 on longer
> trips that were nearly all interstate (70-80 mph - top up).
> The mileage with the '06 seems to vary much more, but I haven't figured
> out anything I can attribute it to. I tend to drive the same style on
> most of the roads I travel, and always use the same brand and grade of
> gas. As with the '93 it is a little worse in the winter, but varies
> much more tank to tank

Just curious what type of driving this generally was. My city mileage
was never that good in my near-stock Miata, but I was not trying for
good mileage except on long highway trips.

I forget why the mileage is better in the summer than winter. Gas additives?

Pat
Old January 26th 10, 05:53 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lanny Chambers

In article >,
pws > wrote:

> I remember that Lanny did a club contest long ago for the best mileage
> and his numbers were pretty impressive.

37.4 mpg for my 1.8, not bad for near sea level. One clubber in a 1.6
got 42, but I suspect he'd aired up his tires and other tricky prep
stuff. All I did was bore myself silly.

Now, high elevation is a different story. I got 34-36 in the mountains,
no matter how hard I flogged it (which was hard indeed). Less air = less
fuel...and less power.

--
Lanny Chambers
St. Louis, MO
Old January 26th 10, 03:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Stephen Toth[_3_]

In article >, pws
> wrote:

> Stephen Toth wrote:
>
> > The '93 averaged 30-31 mpg while I drove it.
> > That was a mixed driving environment In its early days: Daily commute
> > was about 44 mi. one way - 2 mi. local small town - 24 mi. non-divided
> > hwy (traffic lights - avg 50 mpg) - 14 mi. interstate (70-75 mpg) - 4
> > mi. in city (Philly). Even stop and go because of traffic and accidents
> > did not change it much. Biggest difference was winter when it would
> > drop to 29-29 mpg.
> > My son claims to still get about 30 mpg now with mixed small town and
> > hwy driving.
> >
> > With the '06 I get 26-29 mpg mixed, And have gotten 35-36 on longer
> > trips that were nearly all interstate (70-80 mph - top up).
> > The mileage with the '06 seems to vary much more, but I haven't figured
> > out anything I can attribute it to. I tend to drive the same style on
> > most of the roads I travel, and always use the same brand and grade of
> > gas. As with the '93 it is a little worse in the winter, but varies
> > much more tank to tank

> Just curious what type of driving this generally was. My city mileage
> was never that good in my near-stock Miata, but I was not trying for
> good mileage except on long highway trips.
>
> I forget why the mileage is better in the summer than winter. Gas additives?
>
> Pat

Don't know how I would qualify my driving style. I can only describe my
general driving habits.
First rule which I have passed to my children is to be very
conservative with the throttle until the engine and oil is up to temp.
That generally means no more than 3-3.5k rpm for the first mile or 2.
After that redline is fine.
I live in a country setting so most of the near roads are 2 lane
blacktop with twisties and not that many stop signs, although the stops
are increasing as the population in the area is increasing.
Once warmed up, I accelerate moderately from a stop (keeping pace with
general traffic). Only occasionally does the urge hit me to push it
hard from a stop to make a statement to someone - probably only I
appreciate that statement.
In general conservative driving, I tend to shift early 3-4k and just
try to maintain momentum, and will hold in a high gear down to 2-2.5k
when just rolling the flats. I also drive well ahead of myself, so get
off the gas well before a stop, and seldom brake aggressively.
But don't get me wrong, when playing or finding a fun entrance or exit
ramp, I will use everything the car can offer, and push the tach to the
redline for shifts, and will keep the rpm in the 4-5k range. That
probably only accounts for about 10% of the time, but I haven't found
it to affect gas mileage to any extent.
For interstate driving, I tend to accelerate faster to get to speed as
quick as possible, and will keep with the flow of traffic. I used to
follow a 5% rule (make sure there a a few cars going a little faster
than you), but now tend too go more to 10-20% especially when my wife
is with me. For interstate driving, my rule is to drive well ahead of
myself to maintain a fixed speed as much as possible. Try not to get
caught behind slower traffic and have to accelerate back up to speed.
Around here, interstate speed can be anywhere from 65 - 80 mph
depending on the particular section, and time of day.

Having been a passenger in the car with my son, and also followed him a
few times, he generally accelerates harder from a stop, and will run
higher rpm for the most part. He will staty in 4th in places where I
would have shifted into 5th. Yet, he is still getting almost the same
mileage that I would get. Go figure.

The only other thing I could note, is that I have always used mid grade
gas in the car (89 octane around here), and the timing (14-15 BTDC) and
tune is set for that. At the last timing belt change (around 200k),
compression still showing very good (can't remember exact, and lost the
paper it was written on but remember around 165 psi cold and less than
8 psi difference overall.)

So, don't know if that tells you anything or not, but that is a general
overview.
Old January 26th 10, 04:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Lanny Chambers wrote:
>> I remember that Lanny did a club contest long ago for the best mileage
>> and his numbers were pretty impressive.

> 37.4 mpg for my 1.8, not bad for near sea level. One clubber in a 1.6
> got 42, but I suspect he'd aired up his tires and other tricky prep
> stuff. All I did was bore myself silly.
>
> Now, high elevation is a different story. I got 34-36 in the mountains,
> no matter how hard I flogged it (which was hard indeed). Less air = less
> fuel...and less power.

Cool, do you know what you typically get? Chris? I am curious about what
differences we are seeing.

Pat
Old January 26th 10, 04:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Stephen Toth wrote:

> Don't know how I would qualify my driving style. I can only describe my
> general driving habits.
> First rule which I have passed to my children is to be very
> conservative with the throttle until the engine and oil is up to temp.
> That generally means no more than 3-3.5k rpm for the first mile or 2.
> After that redline is fine.
> I live in a country setting so most of the near roads are 2 lane
> blacktop with twisties and not that many stop signs, although the stops
> are increasing as the population in the area is increasing.
> Once warmed up, I accelerate moderately from a stop (keeping pace with
> general traffic). Only occasionally does the urge hit me to push it
> hard from a stop to make a statement to someone - probably only I
> appreciate that statement.
> In general conservative driving, I tend to shift early 3-4k and just
> try to maintain momentum, and will hold in a high gear down to 2-2.5k
> when just rolling the flats. I also drive well ahead of myself, so get
> off the gas well before a stop, and seldom brake aggressively.
> But don't get me wrong, when playing or finding a fun entrance or exit
> ramp, I will use everything the car can offer, and push the tach to the
> redline for shifts, and will keep the rpm in the 4-5k range. That
> probably only accounts for about 10% of the time, but I haven't found
> it to affect gas mileage to any extent.
> For interstate driving, I tend to accelerate faster to get to speed as
> quick as possible, and will keep with the flow of traffic. I used to
> follow a 5% rule (make sure there a a few cars going a little faster
> than you), but now tend too go more to 10-20% especially when my wife
> is with me. For interstate driving, my rule is to drive well ahead of
> myself to maintain a fixed speed as much as possible. Try not to get
> caught behind slower traffic and have to accelerate back up to speed.
> Around here, interstate speed can be anywhere from 65 - 80 mph
> depending on the particular section, and time of day.
>
> Having been a passenger in the car with my son, and also followed him a
> few times, he generally accelerates harder from a stop, and will run
> higher rpm for the most part. He will staty in 4th in places where I
> would have shifted into 5th. Yet, he is still getting almost the same
> mileage that I would get. Go figure.
>
> The only other thing I could note, is that I have always used mid grade
> gas in the car (89 octane around here), and the timing (14-15 BTDC) and
> tune is set for that. At the last timing belt change (around 200k),
> compression still showing very good (can't remember exact, and lost the
> paper it was written on but remember around 165 psi cold and less than
> 8 psi difference overall.)
>
> So, don't know if that tells you anything or not, but that is a general
> overview.

Yes, it is all being absorbed and hopefully grokked.

Thanks!

Pat
Old January 28th 10, 05:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

Pat, don't know if you're referring to 'this' Chris but I can say that
neither my 92NA nor my 99NB have gotten what I consider decent fuel mileage
for the size / power of the car! They simply run too many RPM's on the
highway but, don't get me started on that again! What I DO love is that no
matter how hard you flog these (normally aspirated) little beasts, it
doesn't hamper the mileage much from simple (shifting at 3500~5000 rpms)
normal driving! My 99 can be pretty much be counted on for about 25mpg. I
think my '92 was pretty much the same.

Chris
99BBB

Old January 28th 10, 05:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

I have heard that the Automatic does drop to more reasonable rpm's (in the
NC at least) at cruising speeds and that seems to pay off quite well.

Chris
99BBB

Old January 28th 10, 12:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Chris D'Agnolo wrote:
> Pat, don't know if you're referring to 'this' Chris but I can say that
> neither my 92NA nor my 99NB have gotten what I consider decent fuel
> mileage for the size / power of the car! They simply run too many RPM's
> on the highway but, don't get me started on that again! What I DO love
> is that no matter how hard you flog these (normally aspirated) little
> beasts, it doesn't hamper the mileage much from simple (shifting at
> 3500~5000 rpms) normal driving! My 99 can be pretty much be counted on
> for about 25mpg. I think my '92 was pretty much the same.
>
> Chris
> 99BBB

I haven't seen Chris M. in a while, so I guess I meant you if that's all
that is available. ;-)

Thanks,

Pat

different oil thread... peter Mazda 1 March 10th 09 07:15 PM
AWA [OFFER] Genuine HeliCoil Thread Repair Kit HeliCoil Inserts HeliCoil Gauge & Thread [email protected] General 0 May 3rd 06 11:51 AM
Another mileage thread- 90s Cher-GW? Stupendous Man Jeep 8 April 25th 06 07:01 PM
High Mileage VW Bug Mileage Paul Regal VW air cooled 51 April 5th 05 07:36 AM
Car Wax - 04 Thread Johnny Hashbrowns General 3 May 17th 04 02:05 AM