yes, it's a mileage thread

Old January 20th 10, 04:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Default yes, it's a mileage thread

I was wondering what people are seeing as far as real-world MPG for the
NC Miata (2006-2010), with a 5-speed.

I am just curious about what is the best it is capable of on the highway
with the top up as well as top down, and what it gets when driven with a
heavy foot around town.

Thanks,

Pat
Old January 21st 10, 01:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Auto[_3_]

I live in a very rural area and my average is right around 30mpg. If I am
doing a lot of town driving it will drop to 29.7 or 29.8 and then go back up
to over 30 as I drive back home on rural highways. When I first got the MX5
I was getting 34+ from about 2000 miles to 2800. I now have almost 4000 on
it and it has been steady at the 30+/- for the past 1000 or so.

TRCSr

Old January 21st 10, 05:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Auto wrote:
> I live in a very rural area and my average is right around 30mpg. If I
> am doing a lot of town driving it will drop to 29.7 or 29.8 and then go
> back up to over 30 as I drive back home on rural highways. When I first
> got the MX5 I was getting 34+ from about 2000 miles to 2800. I now have
> almost 4000 on it and it has been steady at the 30+/- for the past 1000
> or so.
>
> TRCSr

Is this with the PRHT or a soft top? Also, is the highway MPG with the
top up or down?

I see a pretty large city/highway MPG difference, something like 29 or
30 on the highway and maybe 23 or so in town, even lower if I put my
foot into it.
This is with a boosted 1991 model with a 1.8 liter, but my 1996 Miata
that was fairly stock also had at least a 5 MPG gap between city and
highway driving, and more than that if I left the top up.

The NC has been growing on me and I am doing some research on them. It
seems to take each new Miata model about 4 years to get me. :-)

Thanks,

Pat
Old January 21st 10, 06:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
NetMax

On Jan 21, 11:33*am, pws > wrote:
> Auto wrote:
> > I live in a very rural area and my average is right around 30mpg. If I
> > am doing a lot of town driving it will drop to 29.7 or 29.8 and then go
> > back up to over 30 as I drive back home on rural highways. When I first
> > got the MX5 I was getting 34+ from about 2000 miles to 2800. I now have
> > almost 4000 on it and it has been steady at the 30+/- for the past 1000
> > or so.

> > TRCSr

> Is this with the PRHT or a soft top? Also, is the highway MPG with the
> top up or down?
>
> I see a pretty large city/highway MPG difference, something like 29 or
> 30 on the highway and maybe 23 or so in town, even lower if I put my
> foot into it.
> This is with a boosted 1991 model with a 1.8 liter, but my 1996 Miata
> that was fairly stock also had at least a 5 MPG gap between city and
> highway driving, and more than that if I left the top up.
>
> The NC has been growing on me and I am doing some research on them. It
> seems to take each new Miata model about 4 years to get me. :-)
>
> Thanks,
>
> Pat

From the Miata/MX-5 posts that I read (here but mostly elsewhere), a
new Miata's (NC2) gas mileage drops after a few tanks. It seems
puzzling.
Old January 21st 10, 08:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

NetMax wrote:

> From the Miata/MX-5 posts that I read (here but mostly elsewhere), a
> new Miata's (NC2) gas mileage drops after a few tanks. It seems
> puzzling.

Are there any good ideas on why this happens?
Old January 21st 10, 08:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chuck[_13_]

The magic coating disolved from the gas tank?
Actually, I'd suspect something like the hot wire air flow sensor, or the
drivers foot getting a bit heaver.
If the car was finely tuned as it left the factory, a lot of things can make
a small difference.
My 99 is quite sensative to the engine temperature. As you drop below an
indicated temperature of about 210 (ECU readout)
gas consumption goes up. Naturally, the panel gage doesn't show the small
differences.

Old January 21st 10, 08:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Grant Edwards[_3_]

On 2010-01-21, pws > wrote:
> NetMax wrote:
>
>> From the Miata/MX-5 posts that I read (here but mostly
>> elsewhere), a new Miata's (NC2) gas mileage drops after a few
>> tanks. It seems puzzling.

> Are there any good ideas on why this happens?

My guess is that the engine computer is learning how to provide
more power by adjusting various parameters (e.g. mixture and
timing).

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! BARRY ... That was
at the most HEART-WARMING
Old January 21st 10, 09:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_1_]

Grant Edwards > wrote:

> On 2010-01-21, pws > wrote:
>> NetMax wrote:
>>
>>> From the Miata/MX-5 posts that I read (here but mostly
>>> elsewhere), a new Miata's (NC2) gas mileage drops after a few
>>> tanks. It seems puzzling.

>> Are there any good ideas on why this happens?

> My guess is that the engine computer is learning how to provide
> more power by adjusting various parameters (e.g. mixture and
> timing).

It would be a good guess but it's been happening since the Model "T"!

Chuck is correct, I believe, when he said,"Actually, I'd suspect <snip>
the drivers foot getting a bit heaver."

Becoming familiar with the vehicle allows one to drive faster and many
of us still take it easy for the first few hundred miles even though
"THEY" say breakin isn't necessary anymore.

The Usenet Improvement Project:
Old January 22nd 10, 12:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Auto[_3_]

This is a PRHT and was with the top down for the most part through the first
2500 miles, and with the top up since then due to the cooler weather. It
will be interesting to see what happens when the weather warms up and the
top is down more and the engine temperature may be a little higher, or at
least the incoming air will be warmer.

TRCSr

Old January 22nd 10, 12:47 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lanny Chambers

In article >,
Grant Edwards > wrote:

> My guess is that the engine computer is learning how to provide
> more power by adjusting various parameters (e.g. mixture and
> timing).

Dunno about the NC, but NA and NB computers do not learn. The fuel and
timing maps are fixed.

--
Lanny Chambers
St. Louis, MO

different oil thread... peter Mazda 1 March 10th 09 07:15 PM
AWA [OFFER] Genuine HeliCoil Thread Repair Kit HeliCoil Inserts HeliCoil Gauge & Thread [email protected] General 0 May 3rd 06 11:51 AM
Another mileage thread- 90s Cher-GW? Stupendous Man Jeep 8 April 25th 06 07:01 PM
High Mileage VW Bug Mileage Paul Regal VW air cooled 51 April 5th 05 07:36 AM
Car Wax - 04 Thread Johnny Hashbrowns General 3 May 17th 04 02:05 AM