Newbie

Old July 28th 09, 05:50 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default Newbie

On Mon, 27 Jul 2009 15:04:17 -0400, Davoud > wrote:

>Grant Edwards:
>> Well, geez, nobody wants to be judged on the way they really
>> are. Thats the whole point of having publicists, PR people,
>> and diplomats.

>You are correct to the extremely narrow limit of your knowledge of the
>subject....

My god, you're either a pompous ass, or you're playing one on the Internet.

And yes, we do count among our friends a significant number of senior people in
State and AID.

-- Larry (in Alexandria)
Old July 28th 09, 05:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Davoud[_2_]

Grant Edwards:
> >> Well, geez, nobody wants to be judged on the way they really
> >> are. Thats the whole point of having publicists, PR people,
> >> and diplomats.

> >You are correct to the extremely narrow limit of your knowledge of the
> >subject....

Larry (in Alexandria)
> My god, you're either a pompous ass, or you're playing one on the Internet.
>
> And yes, we do count among our friends a significant number of senior people
> in
> State and AID.

I beg your pardon? I think you have made an error. My remarks were not
addressed to you, but to a person who made a pronouncement on a subject
he knows nothing about.

In addition, I have learned that knowing a diplomat or a neurosurgeon
or a tinker does not make one a diplomat, a neurosurgeon, or a tinker.
Some people spend sufficient time with persons in professions other
than their own to pick up a bit of the jargon, and then they begin to
imagine that they know about that profession. Mr. Edwards did not claim
even to have ever met a Foreign Service Officer or to have visited
State or a U.S. Mission abroad, yet he still felt he needed to make
himself look foolish by making a pronouncement on the subject.

I also don't believe that living in a certain place--Alexandria, let us
say--in and of itself qualifies one to know anything beyond a bit of
local geography. I live in Gambrills, where the "Town Centre" (which we
don't call that because we are /not/ pompous asses) consists of a post
office, a feed store, a dairy farm, a corn field, and a thoroughbred
horse farm. I advocate that people ask more questions, and make fewer
pronouncements, when dealing with things they know nothing about. Thus
I never pretend to know about animal husbandry, or farming in general.
I also don't have much to say on the subjects of surgery or rocket
science, even though my late sister-in-law was a surgeon and I count
numerous rocket scientists among my friends and acquaintances.

Get over it. Stick to what you know. Alexandria is a nice town, marred
by profoundly traumatized Northern Virginia drivers and redeemed by the
availability of the Blue Line. I've lived there on and off myself.
Never thought I was George Washington, however.

Davoud

--
usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm
Old July 28th 09, 06:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Default This new guy

pws wrote:

> I actually kind of like this Davoud guy, and I can easily handle pompous.

Is it too late to retract this statement? ;-)

I have a lot of respect for Grant and Larry, but I don't know who the
hell Davoud is, yet.
This newsgroup has very few subscribers, especially those who post, and
most of the long-timers are pretty tight-nit even when we argue.

If you are just here to talk ****, fine, it will be ignored quickly and
you will get bored and leave.

If you want to talk Miatas with fellow owners and enthusiasts, it might
be a good idea to at least include something vaguely related to these
Mazda roadsters in one of your posts instead of just talking about what
people do or do not know.

Failing to do that will get you tossed into the kill-files of what is
not a very long list of people posting to start with.
Your choice, because the pattern repeats itself every time.

Of course, that's just my take on the subject. ;-)

Pat
Old July 28th 09, 06:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Davoud[_2_]

Default This new guy (was: Newbie) NMC

pws wrote:
> He HAS made a number of very true observations of our country. This
> place has lots of problems, and having the people who live here just
> keep repeating that it is the greatest country in the world isn't going
> to solve any of them.

Telling the truth in the Delusional States of America has historically
not been the key to popularity. It worked for Obama last November,
however, and it's working for him now, as demonstrated by the fact that
his opponents are becoming more and more shrill and the neocon lie
machine is having to work overtime, and still losing, as their audience
dwindles.

> So Davoud, what year model is your Miata? :-)

I have a white '92 that I bought new 17 years ago next month. You may
see it here <http://www.davidillig.com/miata.shtml> and here
<http://www.primordial-light.com/observatory.html#miata>. There were
only two "models" in '92; one was called the "Deluxe," and had a tan
top and tan leather, and, in an apparent nod to Henry Ford, was
available only with black paint. I don't like leather in any car, much
less an open car, and I do not buy black cars, so my choice of models
was made for me. I bought a hardtop with the car. I made a hangar for
it in the garage, sealed it in plastic, and there it has hung for 17
years.

I have a 15-year-old niece and I have promised her that the Miata will
be hers when she gets her drivers' license, if her father approves.

I grew up in more modest circumstances, some would say poor, where many
families had no car at all, and certainly none of my cohort had cars of
their own. If someone had given me a sports car two years older than
myself and in showroom condition for my 16th birthday, I would have,
well, I don't know what--it's just inconceivable. Whether an
overprivileged child of this century will feel that way remains to be
seen.

My niece has had a bit of driving practice on a back road, and she is
doing a creditable job with the 5-speed. I suspect she'll be the only
kid on her block who knows how to use a clutch! I haven't decided what
to buy next.

Davoud

--
usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm
Old July 28th 09, 06:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Davoud wrote:

> Telling the truth in the Delusional States of America has historically
> not been the key to popularity. It worked for Obama last November,
> however, and it's working for him now, as demonstrated by the fact that
> his opponents are becoming more and more shrill and the neocon lie
> machine is having to work overtime, and still losing, as their audience
> dwindles.

I wish that I could argue with that. :-)

>> So Davoud, what year model is your Miata? :-)

> I have a white '92 that I bought new 17 years ago next month. You may
> see it here <http://www.davidillig.com/miata.shtml> and here
> <http://www.primordial-light.com/observatory.html#miata>. There were
> only two "models" in '92; one was called the "Deluxe," and had a tan
> top and tan leather, and, in an apparent nod to Henry Ford, was
> available only with black paint. I don't like leather in any car, much
> less an open car, and I do not buy black cars, so my choice of models
> was made for me. I bought a hardtop with the car. I made a hangar for
> it in the garage, sealed it in plastic, and there it has hung for 17
> years.
>
> I have a 15-year-old niece and I have promised her that the Miata will
> be hers when she gets her drivers' license, if her father approves.

Nice gift, I agree.

> I grew up in more modest circumstances, some would say poor, where many
> families had no car at all, and certainly none of my cohort had cars of
> their own. If someone had given me a sports car two years older than
> myself and in showroom condition for my 16th birthday, I would have,
> well, I don't know what--it's just inconceivable. Whether an
> overprivileged child of this century will feel that way remains to be
> seen.

Cool, I like black cars and will take either leather or cloth, but that
white and black looks very nice and well taken care of.

The observatory looks cool too.

> My niece has had a bit of driving practice on a back road, and she is
> doing a creditable job with the 5-speed. I suspect she'll be the only
> kid on her block who knows how to use a clutch! I haven't decided what
> to buy next.
>
> Davoud

It's possible, I am kind of scared by how many kids I see demanding auto
over manual because they do not know how to drive it.
Even if they are getting an automatic, it is really good to learn how, imho.

Laters,

Pat

Old July 28th 09, 07:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Stuart H.[_2_]

SNIP

>> My niece has had a bit of driving practice on a back road, and she is
>> doing a creditable job with the 5-speed. I suspect she'll be the only
>> kid on her block who knows how to use a clutch! I haven't decided what
>> to buy next.
>>
>> Davoud

> It's possible, I am kind of scared by how many kids I see demanding auto
> over manual because they do not know how to drive it.
> Even if they are getting an automatic, it is really good to learn how,
> imho.
>
> Laters,
>
> Pat

I am on my third Miata. First was a 1990 red with hardtop. We towed a
tent trailer for vacation with it, one trip of over 5,000kms (3,000
archaic miles). We turbocharged it and did quite a number of upgrades,
then hit the recession of the '90s and we had to sell it.
Next was a '91 silver, which I kept bone stock. Had to sell it when we
had another downturn in our business.
Spring of 2008 I acquired a '91 BRG Eunos Roadster (JDM) with tan
leather and hardtop, and only 69,000kms on it. Right hand drive and 5
speed is much more fun than any automatic could ever be! Now we have
another bloody recession, but I am hanging on to it as long as I can.

I never could figure out why Mazda detuned the 1.6 on all the automatics
so they produced even less power than the standards.

Stuart H.
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada

p.s. Thank god for our health care system. My Doctor ordered some
non-urgent tests last week, and I had them all done today. NO COSTS
INVOLVED!
Old July 29th 09, 01:52 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
johnny p.

Davoud wrote:

> ...Do you think we go around bragging about bogus
> wars and the fact that we are the only country
> in the civilized world without national health
> care!? These things have to have a bit of spin
> on them. We may say, for example that the U.S. is
> making progress in reducing our infant mortality
> rate, but we we're not going to blurt out that
> we're only #37 in the world in infant mortality,
> two steps behind Cuba. Likewise, life expectancy
> at birth. Do you expect me, as an advocate for
> the American Way, to go bragging that we're 45th,
> behind Bosnia and Jordan, and more than six years
> behind the leaders!? etc., etc., etc., etc.

In my opinion all this you're saying is certainly both genuinely
important and unarguable, but what I would like to ask is, what has it
got to do with the Mazda Miata?

Now that there's a car! I love my Miata.

yrs jp
Old July 29th 09, 02:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
johnny p.

TRCSr wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I just purchased a 2009 Miata MX-5 with retractable hardtop. This is
> the first roadster I have had since the 70's when I had an Austin
> Healy 3000. I have been a member of the Chev Tracker group for many
> years, but as soon as I sell that little gem I will be dropping out of
> the group. I hope I can get as much useful information from this
> group.

Where are you at? And what color is that baby? I went to look at the
PRHT at a dealership but all they had on the lot was a couple of
automatics so I passed on the test drive, but that robo-top was a ton of
fun to fiddle with. Zoop! up, zoop! down, zoop! up, you could play all
day. It looks great too.

A guy who bought a new one last year told me that the tires that came
from the factory on the '08s (the 16 inch ones on the base model) suck
and you won't really appreciate how well it handles until you get your
first set of replacement tires. By that he meant, if you're used to
ordinary cars you'll be knocked out by the handling of a new MX-5, and
when you put good rubber on it it will blow you away again.

Also, get a hat, watch out driving wearing shorts with the top down (the
front of your legs will get sunburned) and definitely don't leave a pile
of valuable paperwork unanchored on the front seat like I did the second
day I drove mine. That's all the useful Miata-oriented information I
can think of right now. Happy driving!

yrs jp
Old July 29th 09, 10:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
NetMax

On Jul 28, 9:14*pm, "johnny p." > wrote:
> TRCSr wrote:
>
> > Hello All,

> > I just purchased a 2009 Miata MX-5 with retractable hardtop. This is
> > the first roadster I have had since the 70's when I had an Austin
> > Healy 3000. I have been a member of the Chev Tracker group for many
> > years, but as soon as I sell that little gem I will be dropping out of
> > the group. I hope I can get as much useful information from this
> > group.

> Where are you at? *And what color is that baby? *I went to look at the
> PRHT at a dealership but all they had on the lot was a couple of
> automatics so I passed on the test drive, but that robo-top was a ton of
> fun to fiddle with. *Zoop! up, zoop! down, zoop! up, you could play all
> day. *It looks great too.
>
> A guy who bought a new one last year told me that the tires that came
> from the factory on the '08s (the 16 inch ones on the base model) suck
> and you won't really appreciate how well it handles until you get your
> first set of replacement tires. *By that he meant, if you're used to
> ordinary cars you'll be knocked out by the handling of a new MX-5, and
> when you put good rubber on it it will blow you away again.
>
> Also, get a hat, watch out driving wearing shorts with the top down (the
> front of your legs will get sunburned) and definitely don't leave a pile
> of valuable paperwork unanchored on the front seat like I did the second
> day I drove mine. *That's all the useful Miata-oriented information I
> can think of right now. *Happy driving!
>
> yrs jp

As the other newbie in this thread with a new 09 MX-5 PRHT, I went and
checked my stock tires.
Bridgestone Potenza RE050A
205/45R17
It handles the corners better than a go-cart : )

I did test drive the automatic to try out the paddle shifters. The
drive feel and performace were too similar to tell the difference,
though I know the horespower is lower and the shocks are softer on the
automatic. The shifting experience was ... interesting. If I was
going to be stuck in bumper to bumper traffic every day, the automatic
has merit, but why would I buy an MX-5 to be stuck in traffic every
day?

The roof is a beauty. I chose the mica red because it's a cross
between black & red (I like them both but didn't want either) and it
had a black interior (the beige interior is not attractive imho).

Thanks for your advice jp
NetMax

A Newbie Just Saying Hello! alalhp6d[_3_] Chrysler 2 August 12th 08 12:19 AM
Newbie [email protected] Simulators 2 July 6th 07 03:00 PM
newbie in need duffy VW air cooled 5 January 18th 06 05:51 PM
newbie crzybus VW air cooled 29 May 2nd 05 12:13 PM
newbie 4x4 Eddy Long 4x4 3 February 4th 05 04:36 AM