9 inch gear swap

Old July 9th 08, 03:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Default 9 inch gear swap

I'm performing my first gear swap on a 72 Mustang (9 inch rear end).
Quick question - when I remove the ring gear from the differential (by
removing the 10 bolts), will the differential fall apart, or is there
something else holding it together?
Old July 10th 08, 08:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
goodnigh

> wrote in message
> I'm performing my first gear swap on a 72 Mustang (9 inch rear end).
> Quick question - when I remove the ring gear from the differential (by
> removing the 10 bolts), will the differential fall apart, or is there
> something else holding it together?

Are you sure you should be doing this?
I personally hate surprises like that.

Old July 13th 08, 06:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Big Al[_3_]

"goodnigh" > wrote in message
m...

> > wrote in message
>> I'm performing my first gear swap on a 72 Mustang (9 inch rear end).
>> Quick question - when I remove the ring gear from the differential (by
>> removing the 10 bolts), will the differential fall apart, or is there
>> something else holding it together?

> Are you sure you should be doing this?
> I personally hate surprises like that.

It could fall apart. Just don't let it. It's not a big deal. If you are a
regular "back yard" mechanic, don't try to change the ring and pinion
yourself. Remove the center, take it to a real differential shop and let
them do it. There are videos on how to do it on eBay. But, you need some
special tools, and some luck. Leave it to a professional. Make sure you take
it to some one that specializes in rear end work. Most auto repair shops
don't. And some that say they do, can't. Ask around. Here is the kind of
shop you want: http://www.westerndiff.com/

Al

OME 2.5 inch lift and 32 inch tires nrs Jeep 3 August 30th 07 02:59 PM
E36 M42 Diff Gear Swap Brewer BMW 8 August 26th 07 12:47 PM
BMW Auto box gear select problem (offset drive gear???) Wierd richie BMW 36 May 28th 07 11:17 AM
can feel the gear vibration through my automatic gear selector JOSH13 Audi 0 September 27th 05 12:29 AM
good gear ratio for 40 inch tires Nathan Randell 4x4 4 April 6th 04 12:55 PM