SN65 project

Old November 22nd 04, 05:27 PM
Robert Julian Jr.

Default SN65 project

SNIP...
> Whoa, let me set the record straight. I'm not the guy doing the work, I just
> ran across it. While my wife and _most_ friends will attest to me being nuts, I'm not _that_ nuts!!

Well... Only time will tell just how nuts you really are. Maybe we
will meet one day at bellview. :-)

> Truth be told, that project is WA-A-A-A-A-A-A-Y over my head, not mention way
> out of my budget.

The actual budget for this build is currently at about 40K. We only
need a few more odds and ends and we will be done save some nickle and
dime stuff.

> What I'd truly like to know is if he thinks it's worth it after he's done.

Well...

I have a bit to go before it is done, but right now I'm lovin it. If
the car is anything close to my expectations I will be nothing less
than thrilled. The build itself is turning out to be more fun that I
ever could have hoped for. A once in a lifetime opportunity that I
would not trade for anything.

> Seems to me it'd be easier to beef up the chassis, swap in coil overs and
> rack & pinion, IRS, engine, tranny, etc.... hmm, that's starting to look
> like a lot of work too...

Here is my responce to a similar question on one of the forums...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Forgive me for not spending too much time reading this thread, maybe
you've answered this already, but wouldn't it have been worlds easier
to just shoehorn in the cobra motor?

Hi Brad,

Actually, that was the original plan....

We were going to buy the 65 fastback, 03 cobra engine, R&P mustang II
front, IRS rear, etc, etc etc....

When we totaled the cost of all the parts we suffered a slight sticker
shock. All the specialty buy out items (added to the cost of the car)
totaled close to 60K. And that did not cover any misc / unforseen
expenses.

We realized that it would be much cheeper to buy a 03 Cobra and strip
it for parts.

After we picked up the Cobra, we parked it next to the 65 and were
surprised at how close the cars looked dimensionally. We took some
quick mesurments and realized that the entire 65 body would fit over
the 03 rolling chassis.

After getting into this project I have to say that this is (at least
from my perspective) the best way to completely update a clasic car.
This chassis is going to be lightweight and stiff. We were jacking the
car up the other day with a jack placed at the very front of the
rocker, right behind the front wheel. Well to our surprise, the entire
side of the car went straight up with zero deflection or twist. I knew
that it was going to be stiff, but I was really surprised by how stiff
it is.

On top of that the 65 chassis has places where rust is hidden between
lap joints. Even after blasting or dipping or whatever, this rust will
still be there. I was not about to put a huge amount of time money and
effort into somthing that had trapped rust. I have seen the effects of
this type of rust way to many times. Beautifully restored cars that
start to weep or bubble after 5 years or so.

Anyway... I digress.

That was how the project got started... in a nutshell.

SN65
__________________
SN65
When 65 and 03 collide

If you would like to see other comments and photos from other forums
follow the following links...

http://www.horsepowered.com/forums/s...6&page=1&pp=20
http://www.chicagosvt.com/forums/sho...4&page=1&pp=25
http://forums.stangnet.com/showthrea...8&page=1&pp=25
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...5&page=1&pp=25
http://www.mustangworld.com/forums/s...0&page=1&pp=25

I will be monitering this thread on the newsgroup. If you have any
comments or questions you can post them here or on any of the forums
listed above.

Robert Julian Jr.
SN65
When 65 and 03 collide
Old November 29th 04, 03:43 PM
Robert Julian Jr.

(bill) wrote in message >...
> That's right, SN65. I know many of you are probably still bitter over the
> whole Horsepowered fiasco but, the "SN65 project car" thread is a must read.
> The amount of work going into the project, along with the planning is just
> amazing.

SNIP...

Hi Bill

I have just posted some updates to the misc forums. If you would like
to see other comments and photos follow the following links... The
people on Stangnet have been very helpful and raised some interesting
points.

http://www.horsepowered.com/forums/s...6&page=1&pp=20
http://www.chicagosvt.com/forums/sho...4&page=1&pp=25
http://forums.stangnet.com/showthrea...8&page=1&pp=25
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...5&page=1&pp=25
http://www.mustangworld.com/forums/s...0&page=1&pp=25

A question has come up in regard to "how stiff is it" and "can it be
to stiff". I was always under the assumption that the chassis (we are
talking about the chassis here) could never be to stiff. I have
posted some photos showing that the chassis has zero deflection when
supported at three of the four corners. Also, I have posted some
photos showing the rear torque box reinforcement plates and supporting
braces.

Can I make this chassis to stiff???

Bob
65 Fastback
Old November 29th 04, 11:54 PM
Brent P

In article >, Robert Julian Jr. wrote:
> http://www.horsepowered.com/forums/s...6&page=1&pp=20
> http://www.chicagosvt.com/forums/sho...4&page=1&pp=25
> http://forums.stangnet.com/showthrea...8&page=1&pp=25
> http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...5&page=1&pp=25
> http://www.mustangworld.com/forums/s...0&page=1&pp=25

A simple little question.... how will this car be registered? As the '03
cobra? The '65 mustang? A home built? Just curious how to handle
something like this with the state of IL.

I would guess as the '65 would be the prefered one for emissions testing
and all.

Old November 30th 04, 02:37 PM
Robert Julian Jr.

> > http://www.horsepowered.com/forums/s...6&page=1&pp=20
> > http://www.chicagosvt.com/forums/sho...4&page=1&pp=25
> > http://forums.stangnet.com/showthrea...8&page=1&pp=25
> > http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...5&page=1&pp=25
> > http://www.mustangworld.com/forums/s...0&page=1&pp=25

> A simple little question.... how will this car be registered? As the '03
> cobra? The '65 mustang? A home built? Just curious how to handle
> something like this with the state of IL.
>
> I would guess as the '65 would be the prefered one for emissions testing
> and all.

I will be registering it as a 65 for a number of reasons.

1) no emission testing (even though the car will pass all current
standards)
2) Vehical tax puroses. Taxes on older cars are much less than newer
modles, that is if I ever move to California.
3) If I am ever pulled over by the federalies, at least the car will
look like a 65. I would not like to spend the night in jail as they
try and figure out what the hell happened to the 03 Cobra. :-)
4) Antique car insurance and registaration are much cheeper for a 65
than regular insurance and registration for the 03.
5) It is much easier to retag a 65 than an 03. The 65 really does not
have a VIN plate, so there is no need to have the state come in and
retag the car along with all the explanations (these people are kind
of hard to reason with especially on special vehicals that fall
outside the normal couse of their daily grind).

Add on top of that, that it is much cooler owning a 65 fastback than
an 03 Cobra (nothing against the 03, but really...)

I really can't wait to hit the car shows next year and see the
expressions of passerbys as they try and figure out exacly what we
have done.

Bob
65 Fastback
SN65 Project car
Old December 13th 04, 05:16 PM

Hi All,

Got a bit more finished ove the past week.

Follow the links for photos and details.

Bob

Old January 11th 05, 07:01 PM

Robert Julian Jr. wrote:
> (bill) wrote in message

> > That's right, SN65. I know many of you are probably still bitter

over the
> > whole Horsepowered fiasco but, the "SN65 project car" thread is a

must read.
> > The amount of work going into the project, along with the planning

is just
> > amazing.

> SNIP...
>
> Hi Bill
>
> I have just posted some updates to the misc forums. If you would

like
> to see other comments and photos follow the following links... The
> people on Stangnet have been very helpful and raised some interesting
> points.

http://www.horsepowered.com/forums/s...6&page=1&pp=20
> http://www.chicagosvt.com/forums/sho...4&page=1&pp=25
> http://forums.stangnet.com/showthrea...8&page=1&pp=25

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...5&page=1&pp=25

http://www.mustangworld.com/forums/s...0&page=1&pp=25

> A question has come up in regard to "how stiff is it" and "can it be
> to stiff". I was always under the assumption that the chassis (we

are
> talking about the chassis here) could never be to stiff. I have
> posted some photos showing that the chassis has zero deflection when
> supported at three of the four corners. Also, I have posted some
> photos showing the rear torque box reinforcement plates and

supporting
> braces.
>
> Can I make this chassis to stiff???
>
> Bob
> 65 Fastback

Hi Bill

I have just posted some updates to the misc forums. If you would like
to see comments and photos follow the following links... The project
is comming along nicely.

Old January 28th 05, 09:13 PM

Hi Bill

I have just posted some updates to the misc forums. If you would like
to see comments and photos follow the following links... The project
is comming along nicely.

We have photos of the trial fit of the dash.

How do you like the look of the 03 dash in the 65 fastback? I think it
looks right at home there.

http://forums.stangnet.com/showthrea...8&page=1&pp=25
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...34855&page=1&p...
Bob

Old January 31st 05, 08:08 PM
bill

Bob,

Hopefully you don't think I'm "one of those typical AOHell A-holes."
I've been following your progress I'm just more of a lurker than a
poster. Believe it or not, I'm one of the last computer/internet
holdouts and only have access at work. Hell, it wasn't until a month
ago that those cell phone *******s finally convinced me to sign my life
away..... ;-P

Anyway, just finished checking out the updated threads at Horsepowered
and once again I am awed. The project is really coming along and the
interior is really gonna shock people when they open they door!

It amazes me that you've done an infinitely more complicated project
than the mild resto-mod paint and body work I paid for, and yet MY
project dragged on for 3 years and you haven't celebrated your first
anniversary yet. It should also be noted that even though my guy did
good, quality work it was nowhere near the quality you've been putting
into your car.

If you and the car ever go on the road on any kind of tour you've got
to let us know what the schedule is!

bill

Old February 8th 05, 09:29 PM

Hi Bill,

We are shooting for the "big un-veiling" at this years Hot Rod Power
Tour. We should have the car on the road in May and tuned up & ready
to go on the first leg of the week long PT on June 4th.

Maybe we will see you there.

For a better choice than HP, check out the threads on the following
links

http://eleanor.pro3i.com/showthread....8&page=1&pp=25
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...5&page=1&pp=25

Bob

Nreed some help for a project I am working on...1963 Chrysler Turbine Scott A. Bregi AKA The Model Hobbit Chrysler 0 December 31st 04 11:25 PM
1972 Blazer Project CS112_agj 4x4 0 March 1st 04 04:08 PM
Searching for project car - but what about rust??? Alex Antique cars 2 September 9th 03 10:41 AM