Route recommendations - Austin to Seattle

Old March 23rd 07, 11:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Default Route recommendations - Austin to Seattle

BRUCE HASKIN wrote:
> No, not much room at my place. Only 2 bedrooms and our pet Mountain Lion
> sleeps in one of them. "Jasper" is a good boy and he walks on a leash.
> He keeps most of the local dogs ont of the yard. :-) The good thing is,
> our "pet control" lady likes him so she doesn't tell too many people we
> have him ! :-) I don't think he would go along with a guy from Texas
> wanting to move him over. ( Oh yes, buy the way he snoors. It's not too
> bad now that we sound proofed the room. )
>
> Bruce Bing '03 LS

Jeez! First a gun-toting husband and now Jasper the Mountain Lion. A guy
can't catch a break on here.

Pat

Old March 23rd 07, 11:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

XS11E wrote:

> Are you out of your %#$@% mind?

Many people have told me so.

> You've got the critter exactly the way
> you want it, KEEP IT!

Actually, most of it was done by the PO. It is fun, but I often wonder
what I am doing driving a near-race car on the street. It is very rare
that I am using all of the power even at 10 psi.
She also wants premium gas and synthetic oil, plus bigger tires. She is
a more demanding mistress than the last one. Curb-surfing on $1400.00
rims also makes me nervous.

> You'll never own another car that's exactly what you want. I sold a
> car years back that I shouldn't have and have never stopped regretting
> it...

I modified my last miata to the way that I wanted it, though I did want
forced induction of some sort.
I don't like the color of this one or the fact that you can't use a
glass window top or a hardtop on it. I could always swap the rollbar.

A/C has been a big factor as well, this should not be a primary daily
driver in Texas, but up north it will obviously be better.

Anyway, I bought this one because he was forced to sell it for a very
low amount of money because of a sudden overseas job offer, right after
dumping an absurd amount of money and time into it. He started at
$9500.00 and came way down as the departure deadline approached.

His plan was to turn it into a full racer with the dash removed, racing
seats, etc. It was obviously not his only vehicle.
I guess that he was not planning on any mandatory-hardtop racing with
the rollbar that he chose.

Pat
Old March 24th 07, 01:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Leon van Dommelen

pws > wrote:

>She also wants premium gas

My experience is that 93/92 octane is impossible to find over most of
the US, area wise. With Bozo, my approach was to disable the
SC, but it is likely more difficult with a turbo. Though I guess
you can play games with the waste gate.

Just a thought in case you do decide to drive it up north.

Leon
--
Leon van Dommelen Bess, the Miata Bozo, the Miata
http://www.dommelen.net/miata
Old March 24th 07, 01:48 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Leon van Dommelen

pws > wrote:

>Lanny Chambers wrote:
>
>> Nah. Remember, though: high-altitude gas is lower octane, so don't fill
>> up just before you drop back down below 5000'.

>Thanks, I had not thought about that. This here flatlander has only been
>above 5,000 feet a few times.

And don't forget the words of wisdom from Flying Miata: a turbo will
"correct" for higher altitude by compressing the air more by volume,
meaning much higher knock potential than you would expect for that
altitude for nonturbo (including SC) cars.

Leon
Old March 24th 07, 05:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
BRUCE HASKIN

Pat, in the past we let him out at night, but the next door neighbor
complained about the big paw tracks on the top of his cars. We don't let
him out off the leash now. I kept telling him that it was his other cars
that were doing it , but he said he didn't think so! (He has 3 "Jag's, a
XKE, a 140 and a '87 4 door. ) I still think it was his Jag's, my
Jasper wouldn't jump on a "Jag U ware" ! :-)

Bruce Bing '03 LS

Old March 24th 07, 05:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Eric Baber

Default Ode to Pat (was: Route recommendations)

Pat Sheldon's leavin' Austin
A trail of broken parts behind
Some of 'em he sold on ebay,
Though others were a waste of time.

Pat Sheldon's leavin' Austin
Lookin' for a room to hire
But without a penny in his pocket
Looks like he'll have to sell his tires.

Next verse please, someone.

Old March 24th 07, 06:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lanny Chambers

In article >,
"Eric Baber" > wrote:

> Next verse please, someone.

Our Pat's leaving soon for Seattle;
As for lodging, his brain's in a battle.
He really oughta
Sleep in his Miata--
If the trip doesn't kill him, a cat'll.
Old March 24th 07, 07:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo

> Jeez! First a gun-toting husband and now Jasper the Mountain Lion. A guy
> can't catch a break on here.
>
> Pat

You're killin' me Pat!
Carol dumped you?

Chris
99BBB

Which route is this? Carl Rogers Driving 1 February 1st 07 09:23 AM
Good mechanic in the Seattle / north of Seattle area? Jacqueline Passey Honda 0 November 15th 06 10:40 PM
Following old Route 66 bessie Driving 13 July 28th 06 06:43 PM
STL to ATL alternate route [email protected] Driving 3 February 21st 06 03:48 PM
Route 23 Honda - NJ - Where is the SERVICE??? [email protected] Honda 2 September 20th 05 05:43 AM