Battery Charging...

Old July 13th 07, 09:18 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
LoneStar

Default Battery Charging...

At what setting should I charge (with a Sears battery charger) a moderately
discharged 12 volt car battery? My battery charger has a 2-amp and 10-amp
12 volt setting. My battery discharges quite a lot on one of my very old
cars (don't ask!!) and I recharge after every 2 or 3 times driven.

If I should use the 2-amp option, then what is the 10-amp setting ever used
for? Comments? Thanks.

EW

Old July 13th 07, 11:37 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
MCL

Use the 10 amp setting for your car battery. The 2 amp is good for
motorcycle, ATV or electric start lawn mowers.
reenews.net...

Old July 14th 07, 12:44 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
LoneStar

"MCL" > wrote in message
> Use the 10 amp setting for your car battery. The 2 amp is good for
> motorcycle, ATV or electric start lawn mowers.

OK, will do. I thought the 2-amp setting would suffice, but will use the
10-amp option from now on. However, the 2-amp setting DOES fully charge the
battery after several hours. Thanks.

EW

Old July 14th 07, 01:37 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
PauL

LoneStar wrote:

> At what setting should I charge (with a Sears battery charger) a moderately
> discharged 12 volt car battery? My battery charger has a 2-amp and 10-amp
> 12 volt setting. My battery discharges quite a lot on one of my very old
> cars (don't ask!!) and I recharge after every 2 or 3 times driven.
>
> If I should use the 2-amp option, then what is the 10-amp setting ever used
> for? Comments? Thanks.
>
> EW

Use 10 amps. Most battery chargers are self regulating and will taper
down
the amps as the battery gets full.
Old July 14th 07, 02:24 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

LoneStar > wrote:
>"MCL" > wrote in message
>> Use the 10 amp setting for your car battery. The 2 amp is good for
>> motorcycle, ATV or electric start lawn mowers.

>OK, will do. I thought the 2-amp setting would suffice, but will use the
>10-amp option from now on. However, the 2-amp setting DOES fully charge the
>battery after several hours. Thanks.

It will. It will just take longer. A 100 mA solar charger also will fully
charge the battery, it will just take 100 times longer than the 10A charger
to get the same charge on the batter.
--scott
Old July 14th 07, 01:58 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
larry moe 'n curly

LoneStar wrote:

> At what setting should I charge (with a Sears battery charger) a moderately
> discharged 12 volt car battery? My battery charger has a 2-amp and 10-amp
> 12 volt setting. My battery discharges quite a lot on one of my very old
> cars (don't ask!!) and I recharge after every 2 or 3 times driven.

Is it an automatic or manual charger? Because with a manual charger
the 10A setting could damage the battery after 1-2 days of use because
the current will usually stay above 1-2A, even at full charge. OTOH
automatic chargers contain an electronic regulator (you may be able to
see a circuit board through the vent openings) that makes the current
taper down to 1/2 A or less at full charge.

If the battery discharges a lot, it might be better to recharge it
after every trip, not after every 2-3.

Battery Charging Voltage Dave Milne Jeep 50 February 26th 05 06:59 AM
Battery not charging on 91 CRX Larry Technology 5 February 8th 05 02:21 PM
Battery charging Peter Technology 30 January 28th 05 05:37 PM
battery charging question William R. Watt Technology 5 January 10th 05 12:08 PM
Battery Charging tech27 BMW 65 December 1st 04 02:08 AM