'93 brakes?

Old November 29th 08, 10:54 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
CardsFan

Default '93 brakes?

Drove the car for some time today on light errands with a lot of stop and
go. Eventually I started getting a repetitive noise that I thought was
driveline related, but when I put it in neutral it continued. When I barely
tapped the brake pedal the noise instantly stopped.

Ideas?

AJM
'93 40th Anniversary coupe, 6 sp (both tops)

Old November 30th 08, 12:21 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"CardsFan" > wrote in message
> Drove the car for some time today on light errands with a lot of
> stop and go. Eventually I started getting a repetitive noise that I
> thought was driveline related, but when I put it in neutral it
> continued. When I barely tapped the brake pedal the noise instantly
> stopped.
>
> Ideas?
>
> AJM
> '93 40th Anniversary coupe, 6 sp (both tops)

Still could be U joints. What is the noise like and at what speeds?

Old November 30th 08, 04:43 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Fixitman[_2_]

The brake pads have a tiny wear indicator tab on them. This tab is situated so
that it will contact the rotor at a right-angle when the pad gets below about
10%. If this is the source of your noise, it should sound like a high-pitched
squeal or chirping. Applying the brakes flexes the pad slightly, pulling the
wear indicator away from the rotor. Once the pads wear enough, applying the
brakes won't stop the noise. Sound familiar? If so, it's just time for new
brakes.

btw, the wear indicator is a much softer metal than the rotor. It won't cause
any damage. Ignoring the symptoms can result in the metal backing on the pad
contacting the rotor. That will cause severe damage to the rotor.

Fixitman

Old November 30th 08, 11:14 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
CardsFan

"Dad" > wrote in message
.. .

> "CardsFan" > wrote in message
>> Drove the car for some time today on light errands with a lot of stop and
>> go. Eventually I started getting a repetitive noise that I thought was
>> driveline related, but when I put it in neutral it continued. When I
>> barely tapped the brake pedal the noise instantly stopped.
>>
>> Ideas?
>>
>> AJM
>> '93 40th Anniversary coupe, 6 sp (both tops)

> Still could be U joints. What is the noise like and at what speeds?

It's not a continuous noise, kind of a bop-bop-bop-bop, the frequency seemed
to correspond to the car's speed. After I tapped the brakes and it
immediately quit I thought maybe something is sticking in the right rear.
That's kind of where it sounded like it was coming from. When I released
the brakes the noise was back.

Didn't take it out today. We got an inch or two of white stuff overnight
and they went nuts salting. Amazingly a city plow came around this
afternoon even though the temps got above freezing and everything was
melting. About all they did was spread the leaves that were piled at the
curbs all over the place.

Old November 30th 08, 11:25 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
CardsFan

"Fixitman" > wrote in message
. ..
> The brake pads have a tiny wear indicator tab on them. This tab is
> situated so that it will contact the rotor at a right-angle when the pad
> gets below about 10%. If this is the source of your noise, it should sound
> like a high-pitched squeal or chirping. Applying the brakes flexes the pad
> slightly, pulling the wear indicator away from the rotor. Once the pads
> wear enough, applying the brakes won't stop the noise. Sound familiar? If
> so, it's just time for new brakes.
>
> btw, the wear indicator is a much softer metal than the rotor. It won't
> cause any damage. Ignoring the symptoms can result in the metal backing on
> the pad contacting the rotor. That will cause severe damage to the rotor.
>
> Fixitman

Thanks for the information. It's not a chirping noise, but it is staccato
or cyclical and the frequency seems to correspond to the speed of the car.
I have redone the front brakes in the last 8000 miles, but not the rears.
Maybe it's time to look at those. I hope that's it.

As I mentioned to Dad, I didn't take it out today. Too sloppy.

Off topic, I put a new battery in the TSX. After I put in the radio code I
was pleased to see it remembered the AM/FM presets. But for whatever
reason, it did not remember the XM presets, nor did it remember what time it
was. Go figure.

DOH brakes! DougW[_2_] Jeep 24 September 8th 07 06:13 PM
99 XLT brakes squeal w/o applying brakes Mikepier Ford Explorer 4 May 15th 07 02:52 PM
Are brakes simply brakes? Julie P. Technology 8 January 9th 07 12:12 AM
Drum Brakes and Disc Brakes, A Historical Question phaeton Technology 39 November 19th 06 10:12 AM
Bad brakes 97 dodg ram 4x4 360 RWAL brakes paulsblog Chrysler 0 July 27th 06 05:02 PM