Which Weight Oil To Use In My Beelte?

Old September 24th 08, 03:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Default Which Weight Oil To Use In My Beelte?

Which weight oil to use in my '73 Beetle?

I have been using Castrol 40HD in hot weather, 30HD in mild weather,
and 10 W30 in cold weather.

Most seem to like 20 W50, but after reading Ed Hackett's article on
multi -grade oil I am trending towards Bob Hoover's opinion of 40HD in
Hot weather and 30HD all other times.

More Than You Ever Wanted to Know About Motor Oil by Ed Hacket
http://micapeak.com/info/oiled.html

And another thing, a day or so before Thanksgiving '96, my oil filter
imploded.
I had a filter pump on my Type I upright engine and was using 20 W50
oil.
It was cold that morning and the thick oil somehow imploded the oil
filter and caused a big oily mess on the driveway.
Old September 24th 08, 04:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

Hope it was not a Fram filter!
But how can the implosion create an external oily mess?

Old September 25th 08, 01:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

On Sep 24, 10:25 am, "dave AKA vwdoc1"
> wrote:
> Hope it was not a Fram filter!
> But how can the implosion create an external oily mess?

Yes, it was a Fram filter.

That was before I read negative views concerning Fram filters.
http://people.msoe.edu/~yoderw/oilfi...lterstudy.html

Imagine crushing a pop can in the middle and how the ends move.
The oil squirted out at a high rate. The oil filter pump had 26mm
gears.
A couple of years later the engine was still running, but I had a
chance to get a new engine with a new case so I went for it.

Old September 25th 08, 09:59 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
John[_28_]

I,ve been using a 40 grade 'light diesel" oil for a while now . Engine
definitely seems less noisy. Was reading on some website ( it,s on the
internet so it must be true!!!) that oils intended for petrol use have had a
lot of the minerals that used to lubricate the solid lifters etc removed.
Simply not needed on modern engines so the yarn went but are still in old
intended for diesels . Havnt heard any negative comments about using diesel
oil in VW donks though.
John

Old September 25th 08, 04:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Bob Hoover

> Most seem to like 20 W50, but after reading Ed Hackett's article on
> multi -grade oil I am trending towards Bob Hoover's opinion of 40HD in
> Hot weather and 30HD all other times.

I live in southern California; 30W does fine 99% of the time. I've
had occasion to use 50W (warm day in Baja) and 20W (Cherry Valley,
CA., in the winter time (temp was close to zero!)) But those were
exceptions.

-Bob Hoover

bus weight? D&LBusch VW air cooled 2 June 17th 07 01:30 AM
Car weight goodnigh Ford Mustang 9 March 15th 07 01:16 AM
Best weight of oil? Gary Mazda 15 March 28th 06 03:20 AM
Wheel weight? Christopher Muto Mazda 21 January 12th 06 05:44 AM
E34 Weight Rob Munach BMW 1 November 16th 04 04:17 PM