93 Geo Prizm - replacement alternator

Old February 1st 07, 02:13 PM posted to rec.autos.misc
*

Default 93 Geo Prizm - replacement alternator

MG > wrote in article <qrcwh.7046$eH.4038@trnddc05>...
> Back in 2003 the original Delco alternator failed on my 93 Geo Prizm. I
> replaced it with a remanufactured Delco from Advance that came with a
> lifetime warranty. The part failed about a year later, I got a
> replacement, and the replacement is now starting to fail.
>
> I've read good things about the Nippondenso alternators that come with
> Corollas. I'm tempted to switch to one of those but the folks in the
> store aren't convinced that it will fit the Prizm. (Although a
> make/model search on their website brings up the part.) My questions:
>

> - Will the Nippondenso fit?

With the fabrication of a few brackets and gimcraws, there is a definite
"probably" that it can be made to fit.

Even if it was OEM on some Geos, it might require a different harness.

Also, you might be talking about a Delco alternator trhat was rebuilt by
ND.

There are too many possibilities to give a solid answer.

> Will it require any adapters?

Depends on your definition of "adapters". You MAY need to do some
re-wiring, and purchase a ND regulator to control the ND alternator.

Depending upon the setup, you may need to add/delete a wire to your GM
factory wiring harness.

> - If Advance will let me switch to a ND, should I take another chance
> with them?

I, personally, would not buy a pine tree air freshener from
Advance.....but, I'm fussy that way.

If you don't mind changing your alternator once-a-year, and they keep on
providing the new alternators under warrantee, then go for it!

> - If not, how do I tell a reliable reman. alternator from the rest?

By not buying it from the price-oriented, retail chains - Advance,
AutoZone, Manny, Moe 'n' Jack, etc. - that target the DIY market.

You have a better chance at quality if you stick with NAPA, Carquest, or
other local independent parts outlets that cater to professional shops.

Professional shops do not like to change customer alternators every year
for free. It costs them time and money and hurts their image. So you don't
see them buying the cheap crap at the DIY stores.

Old February 9th 07, 06:30 AM posted to rec.autos.misc

93 Prizm still going...proof that these cars do last.