Lucas c40 generator substitute (yes generator - ancient!)

Old September 30th 06, 06:35 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
jj

Default Lucas c40 generator substitute (yes generator - ancient!)

Hello,

Any suggestions for a more modern substitute for the Lucas C40
generator? This is for a 1960 Series II 109" I'm up for fabing a new
mounting bracket/arm and fooling with wiring, voltage regulators, etc.

Or is there a source for reasonably priced rebuilt C40s?
I can live with the 22 Amps.
I'm in the States.

Thanks

Jay
Old October 1st 06, 02:23 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Dan Beaton

Lucas being British, you might try the one of the forums at
Classic and Sports Car magazine www.classicandsportscar.com.
I am sure someone there has done what you are trying to do.
Dan

(This account is not used for email.)

Old October 1st 06, 02:33 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
*

jj > wrote in article >...
> Hello,
>
> Any suggestions for a more modern substitute for the Lucas C40
> generator? This is for a 1960 Series II 109" I'm up for fabing a new
> mounting bracket/arm and fooling with wiring, voltage regulators, etc.
>
> Or is there a source for reasonably priced rebuilt C40s?
> I can live with the 22 Amps.
> I'm in the States.
>
> Thanks
>
> Jay

Are you locked into the idea of keeping a generator for aesthetic purposes,
or would a one-wire, GM alternator work for you?

Still have to make up bracketry, and do a bit of wiring, but it would be a
massive improvement.

Old October 1st 06, 04:07 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Mike Romain

I am partial to the 'GM' Delco 'one wire' units. They are easy to work
with and have a lot of different brackets already available. These are
the ones AMC used in their cars and Jeeps. The one I am thinking of, a
10SI or 12, 15 and 17SI can just have one wire to the battery and one
'switched' 12 volt source to trigger it or turn it on so it charges good
at idle.

You can get them from 42 to 85 amp.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's