1990 Miata

Old August 18th 05, 04:22 AM
SABRA TAGGART

Default 1990 Miata

Hi, my husband has a 1990 Miata the needs a new top and new struts. The
original top have finally sprung a leak. Does anyone know of a good shop for
the top in the DFW area? Thinking about taking it to Freeman Mazda for the
struts. Any other suggestions?

Thanks Sabes

Old August 19th 05, 12:49 AM
Lisa

My husband and I just put a new top on our 1990..... for your sanity, please
(even if your husband is mechanically inclined & usually a great DIY), go
pay someone else to install it! I know it's rated as an 8 hour job, but it
took us at least three times that (24 hours) to actually get finished.
Good luck.
BTW: I love my new top. It's a Robbins black vinyl with glass window & is
beautiful.

Old August 22nd 05, 02:52 PM
Alan

When I got my '90 Miata the top needed replacement. The car came with a
cheap brand top that did not include the rain rail. I installed that top in
an afternoon with no major problems. It would have gone much faster had the
top included the rain rail installed. I have installed many tops on my
British cars over the years, but this was my first Miata top. I think with
the instructions on Miata.net and a top with the rain rail pre installed
anyone with average DIY skills could do this job and save some chash.
Alan

Old August 23rd 05, 12:11 AM
Leon van Dommelen

"Alan" > wrote:

>When I got my '90 Miata the top needed replacement. The car came with a
>cheap brand top that did not include the rain rail. I installed that top in
>an afternoon with no major problems. It would have gone much faster had the
>top included the rain rail installed.

Actually, in my opinion it is easier if the rain rail is *not* installed
(attached) to the top, since in that case you can the first put in the rain
rail and then the top itself. (There is no reason to rivet or otherwise
attach the rain rail to the top.)

> I have installed many tops on my
>British cars over the years, but this was my first Miata top. I think with
>the instructions on Miata.net and a top with the rain rail pre installed
>anyone with average DIY skills could do this job and save some chash.

I agree, but it *is* quite a job, even if not unusual skills are needed
beyond a special ability to use colorful language.

There is a DFW Miata Club web page listed on miata.net, but they do not
seem to look much at those things. You could try e-mailing them anyway
for shop recommendations; it cannot hurt.

Leon

>Alan
>"SABRA TAGGART" > wrote in message
>> Hi, my husband has a 1990 Miata the needs a new top and new struts. The
>> original top have finally sprung a leak. Does anyone know of a good shop
>> for the top in the DFW area? Thinking about taking it to Freeman Mazda for
>> the struts. Any other suggestions?
>>
>> Thanks Sabes

http://www.dommelen.net/miata
EXIT THE INTERSTATES (Jamie Jensen)