Trouble with Sat Nav CD-ROM drive in a 1998 Audi A8

Old April 26th 05, 10:44 PM
Descore

Default Trouble with Sat Nav CD-ROM drive in a 1998 Audi A8

Hi,

Car: Audi A8 2.8 1998 model (UK) S-Reg.

My Sat-Nav system seems to be bust. It was working fine but after I
changed the CD it no longer works, even if I switch back to the
original CD

My guess is that the drive was close to bust due to excessive wear/dust
or whatever, and changing the CD just worsened the probelm beyond
workability. I have been looking for a replacement unit at breakers but
to no avail.

The error message in the display is invariably: "System error: Please
check CD-ROM".

I tried using one of those CD-ROM cleaning CD's with tiny brushes, but
that didn't make any difference.

Now I'm wondering what the most common type of fault in this sort of
unit is, and if a hobby guy like me stands a chance of repairing it
myself. I read the faq at http://www.deinmeister.de/cdrep_e.htm and
browsed http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/sam/cdfaq.htm as well, but I'd
like to know what my odds are before I start trying to take the unit
apart.

Also the unit is mounted in the boot (trunk) of the car and the surface
of it shows some signs of corrosion which would indicate it has been
exposed to humidity (not surprising). So I wonder maybe some corrosion
on the rails where the head move might prevent it from moving correctly
and I guess that could be fixed with some graphite or teflon oil.

Basically I'm just hoping someone has some experience with a unit
mounted in a car over a number of years in a medium to cold climate,
and can give me some idea of what to expect and whether it's worth it
for me to try and repair it myself - otherwise pointers to someone who
might be able to help, either with repairing the unit or sourcing a
replacement, would also be greatly appreciated

BR,
Descore

Old April 27th 05, 11:57 AM
Bob Fisk

Hi,

When you say you changed the cd, do you mean that you put a different Sat
Nav cd in. The reason being it may have uploaded some software and possibly
not completed properly. Problem then arises that the older (original) cd
then won't read either. This is certainly the case with Navtech, (not sure
what yours is) as if you upgrade to a later year then all earlier years
apparently don't work anymore.

I'm sure someone will correct me if this isn't the case.
Other than that, as you suspect, it's probably the unit that's bust.

Good luck
Bob

ups.com...

Old April 27th 05, 09:26 PM
Descore

Hi Bob,

Yes - I changed the CD from the 1998 version to a later one for a
different region. And after that it didn't work with the other CD's.

I found out that you are right - the unit doesn't work with the older
CD's anymore. I tried with a cleaning CD and it didn't make any
difference. When I later tried with the latest edition of my local one,
it worked - but only after a couple of other goes with the cleaning CD.
So I am very happy now since I won't have to buy a new unit

I just wonder if there is a way to reset the software so you can use
the older CD's .. This is because my CD's for some other European
countries are older than the one I'm using here, and it would still be
nice to be able to use them if I travel.

In any case thanks for your help and suggestions.

BR,
Descore

Old April 28th 05, 12:40 PM
Bob Fisk

I don't know. I've not seen any articles from anyone who's found a way of
doing it.
You could try asking the Sat nav company but I suspect all they will do is
try to get you to upgrade all your other disks, at a huge price.
I think this is a lousy business practice (unless you're the vendor) as they
don't give any warnings on updated disks that it'll make all your old disks
useless.
Oh, and if your disk gets corrupted they'll only supply you with the latest
for the full price of course.

I won't be buying another one that's for sure.

Bob
"Descore" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Hi Bob,
>
> Yes - I changed the CD from the 1998 version to a later one for a
> different region. And after that it didn't work with the other CD's.
>
> I found out that you are right - the unit doesn't work with the older
> CD's anymore. I tried with a cleaning CD and it didn't make any
> difference. When I later tried with the latest edition of my local one,
> it worked - but only after a couple of other goes with the cleaning CD.
> So I am very happy now since I won't have to buy a new unit
>
> I just wonder if there is a way to reset the software so you can use
> the older CD's .. This is because my CD's for some other European
> countries are older than the one I'm using here, and it would still be
> nice to be able to use them if I travel.
>
> In any case thanks for your help and suggestions.
>
> BR,
> Descore
>
> Bob Fisk wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > When you say you changed the cd, do you mean that you put a different

> Sat
> > Nav cd in. The reason being it may have uploaded some software and

> possibly
> > not completed properly. Problem then arises that the older (original)

> cd
> > then won't read either. This is certainly the case with Navtech, (not

> sure
> > what yours is) as if you upgrade to a later year then all earlier

> years
> > apparently don't work anymore.
> >
> > I'm sure someone will correct me if this isn't the case.
> > Other than that, as you suspect, it's probably the unit that's bust.
> >
> > Good luck
> > Bob

FYI: Audi radio reception problems? Steve Sears Audi 0 December 15th 04 04:32 PM
Drive Clean, old A2s, and NOx emissions Garry Tarr VW water cooled 1 November 9th 04 01:18 PM
audi facts may be of interest news.blueyonder.co.uk Audi 0 October 28th 04 01:35 PM
Audi owner experiences Subba Rao Audi 33 October 27th 04 06:53 PM
audi cd for pc news.blueyonder.co.uk Audi 1 October 7th 04 09:51 PM