Wiring Harness

Old August 4th 08, 12:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
help-slip-franklin

Default Wiring Harness

All,
Well I finally re-started the work on my '73 Super after taking over a year
off! My question is: should I replace the wiring harness while I have
everything taken out of the car? It is everything except a body off
restoration. My wife thinks I should just in case something is wrong
somewhere. It was torn down when we bought it so I have no idea if there are
any problems with it or not. Thanks in advance.
H-S-F

Old August 4th 08, 02:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
pepsifreek

I'd pull the old harness to inspect it for damage before you decide. A new
harness will probably only cost you a couple hundred bucks but you may not
need it.

Old August 4th 08, 05:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Speedy Jim[_2_]

Help-Slip-Franklin wrote:
> All,
> Well I finally re-started the work on my '73 Super after taking over a year
> off! My question is: should I replace the wiring harness while I have
> everything taken out of the car? It is everything except a body off
> restoration. My wife thinks I should just in case something is wrong
> somewhere. It was torn down when we bought it so I have no idea if there are
> any problems with it or not. Thanks in advance.
> H-S-F

Tread carefully!

A new "harness" will likely only get you the
Main section from engine bay to dash.

'73 Super uses a very special harness for the
dash wiring and the underhood wiring.

If you do decide to replace any part of the
wiring, make meticulous sketches of all connections first.

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/
Old August 4th 08, 06:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Joey Tribiani

"Help-Slip-Franklin" > wrote in message
> All,
> Well I finally re-started the work on my '73 Super after taking over a
> year off! My question is: should I replace the wiring harness while I have
> everything taken out of the car? It is everything except a body off
> restoration. My wife thinks I should just in case something is wrong
> somewhere. It was torn down when we bought it so I have no idea if there
> are any problems with it or not. Thanks in advance.
> H-S-F

there is a stalker...um, i mean member of this group that is an expert at 73
super restoration(self-proclaimed), if he can stop humping my leg long
enough he might find time to offer you some advice... me personally, i say
if it isn't broke, don't break it.

Old August 6th 08, 12:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
help-slip-franklin

My main concern is I have no idea if the harness works at all or even in
part. Everything was stripped out of the body when I got it. My biggest fear
is that I have less than a working understanding of electrical systems.
H-S-F

Old August 6th 08, 02:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

http://www.vw-resource.com/wiring.html#harness

http://www.bugmevideo.com/
Volume #9 Wiring

I got that video.
Replacing the wiring harness on the Super Beetle is more complex than
on the non Super Beetle but they walk you through it.

This also would be a good time to replace the long center brake line
if it needs it.

---------------------------

Old August 6th 08, 09:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

I found a main harness for a 1973 Super Beetle.
It goes from the fuse box back to the tail lights.
It does not say if it is for a Super B. with a generator or with an
original factory alternator.
If yours has an alternator now that may not necessarily mean that it
originally came from the factory that way.
It would be best to call them.

http://www.bfyobsoleteparts.com/1953...1-pr-1650.html
That first price you see, $674.99, is for a 1949--1952 Sedan.
Yours is $107.99 for a main harness. Whoosh!
This is something you could put off, but they are getting hard to
find.
Another place to try would be aircooled.net but I think they are out
of stock right now.
I do not recommend J.C. Whitney.

Old August 7th 08, 01:48 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
george taylor

You can always just get a continuity tester and trace out each wire. Having
a small multy-meter is always a good idea.
George

Old August 7th 08, 05:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

> part. Everything was stripped out of the body when I got it. My biggest fear
> is that I have less than a working understanding of electrical systems.
> H-S-F

By 'everything was stripped out' do you also mean that all of the
wires in front of the dash in the trunk have been ripped out or
removed?
Old August 7th 08, 09:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

You will learn!!!! 8^)
It is not that hard to do. I have built a wiring harness in my ex-GF's
living room. The harness was for a kit car I was rebuilding. Not that hard
at all!

Nowadays you can just purchase a color-coded and correct wiring harness for
most Beetles. Makes it much easier.

wiring harness (need help) T.E.O. Jeep 3 November 21st 07 09:04 AM
wiring harness (need help) L.W. \(Bill\) Hughes III[_8693_] Auto Photos 0 November 21st 07 09:04 AM
Wiring Harness Help Spdloader Jeep 5 January 16th 07 04:11 PM
wiring harness for a '61 FC-170 designo Jeep 3 August 31st 05 05:18 PM