2001 Beetle won't start

Old August 27th 07, 09:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Grant[_2_]

Default 2001 Beetle won't start

My 1.8T Beetle began having starting problems last week. This is how
it starts. The instrument panel lights up. Then everything dims,
there's dead silence and then it catches. Sometimes.

Wile driving the car odd warning lights come on -- electronic
immobilization, speed spoiler deployed (at 40 mph).

I live in an area where there is packrat damage to engine wiring.
There is evidence of packrats in the engine.

I took the car to the dealer. No packrat damage, but their engine
computer scan showed 3 faulty parts : mass air flow sensor, overboost
valve and kombi valve.

I asked why the instrument panel lights up like a Christmas tree --
faulty VW key, speed spoiler deployed at 5 mph. They had no idea. The
problems they found wouldn't cause that. "Maybe there's an
intermittent electrical fault."

I had them replace the overboost valve and MAF. I have ordered a kombi
valve

Now the car will not start without a jump.

What could be the problem here?
Old August 28th 07, 12:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Lost In Space/Woodchuck[_2_]

Test the battery, alternator and report findings back.

Old August 28th 07, 12:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 13:06:36 -0700, Grant > wrote:

>My 1.8T Beetle began having starting problems last week. This is how
>it starts. The instrument panel lights up. Then everything dims,
>there's dead silence and then it catches. Sometimes.
>
>Wile driving the car odd warning lights come on -- electronic
>immobilization, speed spoiler deployed (at 40 mph).
>
>I live in an area where there is packrat damage to engine wiring.
>There is evidence of packrats in the engine.
>
>I took the car to the dealer. No packrat damage, but their engine
>computer scan showed 3 faulty parts : mass air flow sensor, overboost
>valve and kombi valve.
>
>I asked why the instrument panel lights up like a Christmas tree --
>faulty VW key, speed spoiler deployed at 5 mph. They had no idea. The
>problems they found wouldn't cause that. "Maybe there's an
>intermittent electrical fault."
>

>I had them replace the overboost valve and MAF. I have ordered a kombi
>valve
>
>Now the car will not start without a jump.
>
>What could be the problem here?

poor connection of the battery terminals or bad cables/ends

Old August 28th 07, 04:55 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Matt B.

"Grant" > wrote in message
> My 1.8T Beetle began having starting problems last week. This is how
> it starts. The instrument panel lights up. Then everything dims,
> there's dead silence and then it catches. Sometimes.

Sounds like bad connections or a weak/dying battery. Is this the original
battery? If so, it's very suspect. Low voltage in a car that has a lot of
sensors and electronic controls can cause things to go weird too so see if
you can eliminate the battery or not as a variable and go from there.

Old August 28th 07, 10:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Grant[_2_]

On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 20:55:35 -0700, "Matt B." >
wrote:

>"Grant" > wrote in message
.. .
>> My 1.8T Beetle began having starting problems last week. This is how
>> it starts. The instrument panel lights up. Then everything dims,
>> there's dead silence and then it catches. Sometimes.

>Sounds like bad connections or a weak/dying battery. Is this the original
>battery? If so, it's very suspect. Low voltage in a car that has a lot of
>sensors and electronic controls can cause things to go weird too so see if
>you can eliminate the battery or not as a variable and go from there.

It is not the original battery, but the extreme heat in Arizona and
the constant AC use is tough on batteries here.

I went to another mechanic. Needs a new battery and battery tie-down.
(The tie-down ay be packrat damage . They will chew anything.)

Thanks for the help.

I guess my local dealer is weak on VW service!
Old August 29th 07, 01:50 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Lost In Space/Woodchuck[_2_]

What part of Arizona you live in? We were there 3 years ago in Phoenix for
vacation. Great place...

"Grant" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 20:55:35 -0700, "Matt B." >
> wrote:
>
>>"Grant" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> My 1.8T Beetle began having starting problems last week. This is how
>>> it starts. The instrument panel lights up. Then everything dims,
>>> there's dead silence and then it catches. Sometimes.

>>Sounds like bad connections or a weak/dying battery. Is this the original
>>battery? If so, it's very suspect. Low voltage in a car that has a lot
>>of
>>sensors and electronic controls can cause things to go weird too so see if
>>you can eliminate the battery or not as a variable and go from there.
>>

> It is not the original battery, but the extreme heat in Arizona and
> the constant AC use is tough on batteries here.
>
> I went to another mechanic. Needs a new battery and battery tie-down.
> (The tie-down ay be packrat damage . They will chew anything.)
>
> Thanks for the help.
>
> I guess my local dealer is weak on VW service!

Warm start problem with 99 TDI Beetle Ben VW water cooled 1 September 14th 06 06:48 PM
2001 VW Beetle SwtPea VW water cooled 1 June 5th 06 12:30 AM
2001 VW Beetle No Warning Bells SwtPea Technology 0 June 4th 06 11:27 PM
2001 Beetle brake light qslim VW water cooled 3 June 28th 05 11:50 PM