Where to buy jet fuel?

Old February 20th 07, 04:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Gordon McGrew[_1_]

Default Where to buy jet fuel?

On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 17:28:57 -0800, jim beam
> wrote:

>Tegger wrote:
>> jim beam > wrote in
>> t:

>>> try it and see what happens - i don't think you'll be impressed with the
>>> results. and make sure you know where the drain plug on the tank is -
>>> just a hint.
>>>

>> I wonder if our daring OP is confusing Avgas with JP...
>>

>if he is, it's not necessarily his fault. the radio pundits were all
>using the words "jet fuel", even the alleged transgressor, when
>interviewed, called it "jet fuel". that's why i think it's media hype.
> no professional driver that knows a wheel from a wrench would call
>avgas "jet fuel". "jet fuel" is great for sound bites though.

I wouldn't think Avgas would be better than what they are running in
NASCAR.

Old February 20th 07, 05:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

Gordon McGrew wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 17:28:57 -0800, jim beam
> > wrote:
>
>> Tegger wrote:
>>> jim beam > wrote in
>>> t:

>>> I wonder if our daring OP is confusing Avgas with JP...
>>>

>> if he is, it's not necessarily his fault. the radio pundits were all
>> using the words "jet fuel", even the alleged transgressor, when
>> interviewed, called it "jet fuel". that's why i think it's media hype.
>> no professional driver that knows a wheel from a wrench would call
>> avgas "jet fuel". "jet fuel" is great for sound bites though.

> I wouldn't think Avgas would be better than what they are running in
> NASCAR.

it is.
Old February 20th 07, 05:31 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

jim beam wrote:
> Gordon McGrew wrote:
>> On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 17:28:57 -0800, jim beam
>> > wrote:

>>> if he is, it's not necessarily his fault. the radio pundits were all
>>> using the words "jet fuel", even the alleged transgressor, when
>>> interviewed, called it "jet fuel". that's why i think it's media
>>> hype. no professional driver that knows a wheel from a wrench would
>>> call avgas "jet fuel". "jet fuel" is great for sound bites though.

>> I wouldn't think Avgas would be better than what they are running in
>> NASCAR.
>>

> it is.

and it's still not "jet fuel".
Old February 20th 07, 05:50 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Matt Ion

wrote:

>>>Just out of curiousity...why would it be illegal to use jet fuel in
>>>nascar?

>>Not "illegal", just against the rules.

> Same thing. "Illegal" means "against the rules".

Well, literally, it means "against the law"...
Old February 20th 07, 07:50 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

On Feb 19, 1:08?pm, Matt Ion > wrote:
> wrote:

> >>it's just a "sheep herd" question. ?allegedly there's some nascar
> >>kerfuffle going on at the moment due to "illegal" use of "jet fuel" by
> >>one of the competitors. ?i personally think it much more likely to be a
> >>"made for media" story designed to stir general public attention [read:
> >>ANY EXPOSURE IS GOOD EXPOSURE] since "jet fuel" is kerosene, and not
> >>very friendly to piston engines.

> > Just out of curiousity...why would it be illegal to use jet fuel in
> > nascar?

> Not "illegal", just against the rules.- Hide quoted text -

I know...but why not just let people use whatever kind of fuel they
want to?

Old February 20th 07, 08:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Joe LaVigne

On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 23:50:30 -0800, iwhtcimtlfmwmaomopw wrote:

> I know...but why not just let people use whatever kind of fuel they
> want to?

NASCAR's goal is to make every car as equal as possible, and have the
outcome of the races be based on the talent of the driver and crew...

Not that it is always the case, but it is the intention...
Old February 20th 07, 11:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

On Feb 20, 3:02?am, Joe LaVigne > wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 23:50:30 -0800, iwhtcimtlfmwmaomopw wrote:
>
> > I know...but why not just let people use whatever kind of fuel they
> > want to?

> NASCAR's goal is to make every car as equal as possible, and have the
> outcome of the races be based on the talent of the driver and crew...
>
> Not that it is always the case, but it is the intention...

I don't see what the big deal is...unless the jet fuel is dangerous.
Everyone would just start using jet fuel.

Old February 20th 07, 01:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

Joe LaVigne wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 23:50:30 -0800, iwhtcimtlfmwmaomopw wrote:
>
>> I know...but why not just let people use whatever kind of fuel they
>> want to?

> NASCAR's goal is to make every car as equal as possible,

that's dumb. name a single vehicle innovation or invention that's
benefited normal cars that's come from nascar. f1 otoh, where cars are
/not/ equal, is the #1 breeding ground for vehicle technology in the
world today. it's ancient now, but the fuel injection technology honda
sold with its mainstream vehicles in the late 80's was straight off the
f1 race track. nascar's a joke.

Old February 20th 07, 09:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Mike Smith

jim beam wrote:
> Joe LaVigne wrote:
>> On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 23:50:30 -0800, iwhtcimtlfmwmaomopw wrote:
>>
>>> I know...but why not just let people use whatever kind of fuel they
>>> want to?

>> NASCAR's goal is to make every car as equal as possible,

> that's dumb. name a single vehicle innovation or invention that's
> benefited normal cars that's come from nascar. f1 otoh, where cars are
> /not/ equal, is the #1 breeding ground for vehicle technology in the
> world today. it's ancient now, but the fuel injection technology honda
> sold with its mainstream vehicles in the late 80's was straight off the
> f1 race track. nascar's a joke.

Who says NASCAR has to run its races to suit *you*? NASCAR is a
business, whose interest is putting butts in seats, not developing
tomorrow's technology. And they're pretty damn good at it.

--
Mike Smith
Old February 20th 07, 09:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Joe LaVigne

On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 05:55:24 -0800, jim beam wrote:

> Joe LaVigne wrote:
>> On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 23:50:30 -0800, iwhtcimtlfmwmaomopw wrote:
>>
>>> I know...but why not just let people use whatever kind of fuel they
>>> want to?

>> NASCAR's goal is to make every car as equal as possible,

> that's dumb. name a single vehicle innovation or invention that's
> benefited normal cars that's come from nascar. f1 otoh, where cars are
> /not/ equal, is the #1 breeding ground for vehicle technology in the
> world today. it's ancient now, but the fuel injection technology honda
> sold with its mainstream vehicles in the late 80's was straight off the
> f1 race track. nascar's a joke.

Where did I say that NASCAR innovated anything? They simply want to have
the cars be as equal as possible on the track.

Their goal is not (nor should it be) to do a damn thing for your car.
Their job is to pack the track with fans, and get TV ratings. They
accomplish both tasks.

As for F1, they can innovate all they like. Their races are boring follow
the leader festivals. The only interesting part is qualifying. Once that
is set, there is almost never a serious race...

For all of it's flaws, NASCAR is competitive on the track...