outdoor storage - development of corrosion worse than damp garage ?

Old May 21st 06, 02:56 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default outdoor storage - development of corrosion worse than damp garage ?

Hi all,

I will look into this with google, just in case someone has some experience
to share, I post this anyway.

I had to let a car outside this winter, and regretted seeing it covered with
snow and rain. This spring I had the windows open a bit, just to have it
vented all the time.

I don't know if this was wise. And whether it is worse having it outside
rather than in a damp garage where it used to stand. In the garage it
developed the usual vegetation, especially on the seats and steering wheel.
THAT did not appear during the past periode outside... ?

It is a Vauxhall Astra 86, rusty, but with new side plating underneath
(1997 ) and with a lot of new plating underneath the pedals, in front of the
driver's seat ( 2000 ).

I finished the remaining corrosion as far as I could in 2001, applying Rutex
protection to the underside the car, and red anto-corrosion paint everywhere
I could. I used corrosion converter fluid where it was needed. It stood in
the garage from december 2001 until november 2005.

Now I really wonder how this affects corrosion, having it in a damp garage
all this time and then outside getting wet all the time.

Can you save a car which has corrosion everywhere, protected where it needed
it though ?

Any experience and insight is appreciated intensely !

Regards,

Peter

Old May 21st 06, 07:11 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

peter wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I will look into this with google, just in case someone has some experience
> to share, I post this anyway.
>
> I had to let a car outside this winter, and regretted seeing it covered with
> snow and rain. This spring I had the windows open a bit, just to have it
> vented all the time.
>
> I don't know if this was wise. And whether it is worse having it outside
> rather than in a damp garage where it used to stand. In the garage it
> developed the usual vegetation, especially on the seats and steering wheel.
> THAT did not appear during the past periode outside... ?

Vegetation? Plants growing up through the floor

> It is a Vauxhall Astra 86, rusty, but with new side plating underneath
> (1997 ) and with a lot of new plating underneath the pedals, in front of the
> driver's seat ( 2000 ).
>
> I finished the remaining corrosion as far as I could in 2001, applying Rutex
> protection to the underside the car, and red anto-corrosion paint everywhere
> I could. I used corrosion converter fluid where it was needed. It stood in
> the garage from december 2001 until november 2005.

It has been stored unused for a very long time in rust promoting
environments. I suspect that in addition to rust damage that many of
the seals and hoses will leak from not having been used in 5 or more
years,

> Now I really wonder how this affects corrosion, having it in a damp garage
> all this time and then outside getting wet all the time.

If effects corrosion a lot.

> Can you save a car which has corrosion everywhere, protected where it needed
> it though ?

As noted above you have visible corrosion problems and problems with
the mechanical systems on the car to contend with. You may also have a
substantial amount of corrosion in hidden areas.

Old May 21st 06, 07:36 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Hi John, and thanks

here it used to stand. In the garage it
> > developed the usual vegetation, especially on the seats and steering

wheel.
> > THAT did not appear during the past periode outside... ?

> Vegetation? Plants growing up through the floor

No, I mean the vegetation you find on old bread as well ...

how this affects corrosion, having it in a damp garage
> > all this time and then outside getting wet all the time.

> If effects corrosion a lot.

I wonder which environment is worse. Since no vegetation grew when it was
outdoors, I hoped it would mean having it vented all the time is betterthan
a damp garage.

> > Can you save a car which has corrosion everywhere, protected where it

needed
> > it though ?

> As noted above you have visible corrosion problems and problems with
> the mechanical systems on the car to contend with. You may also have a
> substantial amount of corrosion in hidden areas.

I put paint and all on corroding areas, and I can see that at least it
reduced all out corrosion substantially. The hidden areas ( in the doors,
especially in the inaccessible areas under the doors ) I fear are in real
danger indeed.

I intend to replace the engine with a newly rebuilt one. And I had new seals
put in the gearbox 5 years ago.

Do these electronic corrosion inhibiting devices really work, and would they
work to slow down corrosion here ?
http://www.rust.bizland.com/Auto_Rus...ion/index.html
It appears not : http://www.counteractrust.com/electronics%20methods.htm

Cheers,

Peter

Old May 22nd 06, 09:35 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

"peter" > wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I will look into this with google, just in case someone has some

experience
> to share, I post this anyway.
>
> I had to let a car outside this winter, and regretted seeing it covered

with
> snow and rain. This spring I had the windows open a bit, just to have it
> vented all the time.

This is the best way. I myself have a 68 Ford Torino that I store
outside. (no garage space) It rains a lot in the climate here. The
Torino is a 2 door and the chrome/rubber strip that is spot welded
to the window that covers a 1 inch gap from the front window to the
back window, broke off back in 1988 and I've never tried getting it
rewelded since. This happened on both doors. As a result the
car is -extremely- vented. I have zero mildew problem with this
car, and the only rust is 1 spot in the floorboards where there is a
front window seal leak, and when it rains water drips into the carpet
at that spot and just sits there. I also have no rust proofing undercoat
and
the underside looks like the car came off the assembly line about 4
years ago. I start this car up and run it until the coolant is hot about
every month to two months.

I also have a 84 Chevy Celebrity that I drove as a daily commuter until
late last year and then parked it with the windows closed. Within 5
months the interior of the car was starting to mildew on the fabric of
the seats.

Mildew likes cool damp environments that have little fresh air. So
does rust. If your storing a car outside, open the windows an inch
or so to vent the car.

Ted

Old May 22nd 06, 08:44 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Hi,
> > snow and rain. This spring I had the windows open a bit, just to have it
> > vented all the time.

> This is the best way. I myself have a 68 Ford Torino that I store
> outside. (no garage space) It rains a lot in the climate here. The

.. I have zero mildew problem with this
> car, and the only rust is 1 spot in the floorboards where there is a
> front window seal leak, and when it rains water drips into the carpet
> at that spot and just sits there. I also have no rust proofing undercoat
> and
> the underside looks like the car came off the assembly line about 4
> years ago. I start this car up and run it until the coolant is hot about
> every month to two months.

I gather this experience is not universal, my car is 86 instead of 68 and it
is in a worse shape.
But it confirmed what I thought, and it is actually from a friend who said
in Sweden cars are kept outside in the winter to prevent warming up in the
garage when wet and covered with salt.

> Ted

Cheers Ted,

Peter