mod 20 transfer case

Old April 9th 06, 10:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default mod 20 transfer case

anything obvious to make a mod20 easier to shift out of 4lo? mine seems to
be a pain sometimes. Is there a procedure like slow rolling forward/reverse
or somthing im not aware of?

76model CJ if that helps

Old April 9th 06, 11:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

When my Dana 300 jams in 4x4, I need to stop and goose it in reverse
spinning the tires to unwind it.

Fresh grease on the linkages does wonders for them too.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old April 12th 06, 01:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

"Steve G" > wrote in message
> anything obvious to make a mod20 easier to shift out of 4lo? mine seems to
> be a pain sometimes. Is there a procedure like slow rolling
> forward/reverse or somthing im not aware of?
>

> 76model CJ if that helps

try keeping a steady pull on the shifter while backing up.

Old April 16th 06, 02:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

The Model 20, actually the AMC 20, is a differential not a transfer case.
The AMC20 is behind the D300 transfer case. Yes, the D300 can be a pain to
get out of 4LO, and going slowly in reverse can help.

Old April 16th 06, 04:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

The owners manual for my D300 says 'use a firm hand when shifting', LOL!

I have had to even get the passenger out of the way to use the 'firm'
hand and I weigh in at 200 lb.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old April 16th 06, 04:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

That is better than having one that pops out of gear. The wrecker driver
here, used to use an assistant for mountain vehicle rescues, just to hold
the transfer case in four wheel drive when going down hill.

Earle

Old April 18th 06, 04:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Ok I should have made it clear i was speaking of the "Dana 20 transfer case"

"Jeff Strickland" > wrote in message
> The Model 20, actually the AMC 20, is a differential not a transfer case.
> The AMC20 is behind the D300 transfer case. Yes, the D300 can be a pain to
> get out of 4LO, and going slowly in reverse can help.
>

> "Steve G" > wrote in message
>> anything obvious to make a mod20 easier to shift out of 4lo? mine seems
>> to be a pain sometimes. Is there a procedure like slow rolling
>> forward/reverse or somthing im not aware of?
>>

>> 76model CJ if that helps

Quick transfer case question JD Adams Jeep 4 April 1st 06 06:04 PM
Need trouble shooting for 92 YJ transfer case please Horse Jeep 1 March 22nd 06 04:16 AM
chevy 350 transfer case redneckboarder Jeep 2 January 11th 06 11:33 PM
Electronic transfer case. Growl 4x4 2 June 23rd 05 12:13 AM
2001 sport trac transfer case question Jon Hutchinson Ford Explorer 0 January 20th 05 01:23 PM