2004 Xterra Will Not Communicate With Ca Smog Machine.......?

Old February 15th 20, 03:22 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Randall Shimizu

Default 2004 Xterra Will Not Communicate With Ca Smog Machine.......?

Went to have a smog test done today and the smog place told me that that their smog machine cannot communicate with my 2004 Nissan Xterra XE 2.4L 4 cyl.....? Now the really odd thing is that the OBD2 scanners are able to analyze see and and diagnose the OBD2 system......? This really bizarre and aggravating grrr....!!!
Old February 17th 20, 12:59 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Randall Shimizu

Talked to the Nissan dealer and a mechanic they think it's the computer.

Old February 17th 20, 01:37 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

Randall Shimizu > wrote:
>Talked to the Nissan dealer and a mechanic they think it's the computer.=20

Is this a state where the dealer can do the smog test, or only a state station
can do it?

And do you have ANY idea what the error message from the analyzer was?
It might just be a case of the computer having got inadvertently reset
recently, and the analyzer refusing to accept such a short log... but you
don't know until you see the messages.
--scott
Old March 8th 20, 03:21 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Randall Shimizu

I went back to smog place and the technician told me that they were able read the OBD2 system and check for code. But the problem was that the smog machine was unable to transfer data. I went through and checked all the ground and performed voltage tests as well. So this leads me to believe that something is wrong with the ECU. I ordered another used ECU. I need to find out their is a way to check for ECU/ OBD data transfer.

Old March 8th 20, 01:36 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

Randall Shimizu > wrote:
>I went back to smog place and the technician told me that they were able re=
>ad the OBD2 system and check for code. But the problem was that the smog ma=
>chine was unable to transfer data. I went through and checked all the groun=
>d and performed voltage tests as well. So this leads me to believe that so=
>mething is wrong with the ECU. I ordered another used ECU. I need to find =
>out their is a way to check for ECU/ OBD data transfer.

What does "unable to transfer data" mean? Checking for error codes requires
some data being transferred. Are they trying to check the logs? Are they
looking to see if tables have been altered? Clearly the physical interface
is good, otherwise they would not have been able to check for error codes.
--scott