Dodge Dart electrical problems/starting problems

Old January 25th 20, 06:43 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
The Real Bev[_5_]

Default Dodge Dart electrical problems/starting problems

On 01/23/2020 05:23 PM, AMuzi wrote:
> On 1/23/2020 12:40 AM, The Real Bev wrote:
>> On 01/20/2020 10:54 AM, dsi1 wrote:

>>> It used to be when a more valuable, purer, resource back in the
>>> old days when the posters were mostly from educational
>>> institutions, government agencies, and science labs. There used
>>> to be more decorum and civility, less gossip and name calling.
>>> That's the breaks.

>> But there was the Green Card Lottery...
>>
>> The tech groups seem to be alive and well, although sadly
>> diminished. Hobby groups are nearly invisible. My motorcycle and
>> skiing 'friends' (some of whom I've 'known' since 1995) have moved
>> to facebook, so I did too, but it's no substitute. You just don't
>> meet new people unless they're friends of friends. And you never
>> get ALL the posts; you get different ones depending on which
>> browser and/or device you're using. I wish I knew why Zuckerberg
>> thinks that's a good idea.
>>
>>> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/rec....I/fD3k2Z7MjgIJ

But using Thunderbird is SOOOOO much better than the
>> website. There were real advantages to using tin as a newsreader,
>> though...
>>
>> And I really wish I knew what happened to Scott en Aztlan and his
>> yellow Corvette.

He must have been using x-no-archive; I can't find any of his posts.
That's just wrong. Usenet is our history.

> And death has taken her toll of usenet as well. Young people don't
> know about it at all.

Not just young people. I used to ask the strangers I rode on the ski
lifts with about it. Never found anyone who knew. Charter (our ISP)
used to provide a usenet (maybe still does, I haven't checked for a long
time) feed. Once it was down for over a day so I called Charter
customer service. Elevated twice. NOBODY knew what usenet was. The
top level (he claimed there was no higher) guy thought it was that
satellite thing and they didn't support that.

Ultimately I uncovered the fact that usenet was provided by Highwinds,
so I emailed them. They said I had to contact my ISP. I explained. No
response. Eventually the problem cleared up.

Eternal September is SOOOO much better.

--
Cheers, Bev
"I don't think they could put him in a mental hospital.

Old January 25th 20, 07:37 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

The Real Bev > wrote:
>On 01/23/2020 05:23 PM, AMuzi wrote:
>>>
>>> And I really wish I knew what happened to Scott en Aztlan and his
>>> yellow Corvette.

>He must have been using x-no-archive; I can't find any of his posts.
>That's just wrong. Usenet is our history.

The Google Groups indices are pretty much broken. There are a lot of
messages that are in their database which cannot be found by subject
or author searches. It has been like this for many years and nobody at
Google cares.
--scott
Old January 25th 20, 08:13 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_11_]

On Saturday, January 25, 2020 at 7:43:39 AM UTC-10, The Real Bev wrote:
> On 01/23/2020 05:23 PM, AMuzi wrote:

> >> But there was the Green Card Lottery...
> >>
> >> The tech groups seem to be alive and well, although sadly
> >> diminished. Hobby groups are nearly invisible. My motorcycle and
> >> skiing 'friends' (some of whom I've 'known' since 1995) have moved
> >> to facebook, so I did too, but it's no substitute. You just don't
> >> meet new people unless they're friends of friends. And you never
> >> get ALL the posts; you get different ones depending on which
> >> browser and/or device you're using. I wish I knew why Zuckerberg
> >> thinks that's a good idea.

> But using Thunderbird is SOOOOO much better than the
> >> website. There were real advantages to using tin as a newsreader,
> >> though...
> >>
> >> And I really wish I knew what happened to Scott en Aztlan and his
> >> yellow Corvette.

> He must have been using x-no-archive; I can't find any of his posts.
> That's just wrong. Usenet is our history.
>
> > And death has taken her toll of usenet as well. Young people don't
> > know about it at all.

> Not just young people. I used to ask the strangers I rode on the ski
> lifts with about it. Never found anyone who knew. Charter (our ISP)
> used to provide a usenet (maybe still does, I haven't checked for a long
> time) feed. Once it was down for over a day so I called Charter
> customer service. Elevated twice. NOBODY knew what usenet was. The
> top level (he claimed there was no higher) guy thought it was that
> satellite thing and they didn't support that.
>
> Ultimately I uncovered the fact that usenet was provided by Highwinds,
> so I emailed them. They said I had to contact my ISP. I explained. No
> response. Eventually the problem cleared up.
>
> Eternal September is SOOOO much better.
>

> --
> Cheers, Bev
> "I don't think they could put him in a mental hospital.
> On the other hand, if he were already in, I don't think
> they'd let him out." -- Greek Geek

Google Groups will honor the x-no-archive flag. My guess is that the posts are still around in their non-public archives forever. You can still find people's x-no-archive posts if they were quoted in a responses to them.

My guess is that Google will also delete all posts from posters that have violated their policies or have used x-no-archive way too much. Again, you can probably find their posts from other posts that have quoted them.
Old January 26th 20, 09:23 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_11_]

On Saturday, January 25, 2020 at 7:43:39 AM UTC-10, The Real Bev wrote:
> On 01/23/2020 05:23 PM, AMuzi wrote:

> >> But there was the Green Card Lottery...
> >>
> >> The tech groups seem to be alive and well, although sadly
> >> diminished. Hobby groups are nearly invisible. My motorcycle and
> >> skiing 'friends' (some of whom I've 'known' since 1995) have moved
> >> to facebook, so I did too, but it's no substitute. You just don't
> >> meet new people unless they're friends of friends. And you never
> >> get ALL the posts; you get different ones depending on which
> >> browser and/or device you're using. I wish I knew why Zuckerberg
> >> thinks that's a good idea.

> But using Thunderbird is SOOOOO much better than the
> >> website. There were real advantages to using tin as a newsreader,
> >> though...
> >>
> >> And I really wish I knew what happened to Scott en Aztlan and his
> >> yellow Corvette.

> He must have been using x-no-archive; I can't find any of his posts.
> That's just wrong. Usenet is our history.
>
> > And death has taken her toll of usenet as well. Young people don't
> > know about it at all.

> Not just young people. I used to ask the strangers I rode on the ski
> lifts with about it. Never found anyone who knew. Charter (our ISP)
> used to provide a usenet (maybe still does, I haven't checked for a long
> time) feed. Once it was down for over a day so I called Charter
> customer service. Elevated twice. NOBODY knew what usenet was. The
> top level (he claimed there was no higher) guy thought it was that
> satellite thing and they didn't support that.
>
> Ultimately I uncovered the fact that usenet was provided by Highwinds,
> so I emailed them. They said I had to contact my ISP. I explained. No
> response. Eventually the problem cleared up.
>
> Eternal September is SOOOO much better.
>

> --
> Cheers, Bev
> "I don't think they could put him in a mental hospital.
> On the other hand, if he were already in, I don't think
> they'd let him out." -- Greek Geek

Eternal September and other NNTP service providers work just spiffy these days. At one time, they were just awful. It's probably because most of these services are now using cloud servers instead of a basement of rickety, old, machines.