91 Explorer, broken seat back pull lever, anyone else?

Old November 9th 04, 06:01 AM
Kevin DeAngelis

Default 91 Explorer, broken seat back pull lever, anyone else?

Mine hasn't broken yet, but it will someday. My driver's seat is sagging a
bit, and my 215 pound bulk causes the lever to bend downward. I pulled it
back up a couple of times, only to have it bend again. Now I leave it alone
except for when I want to change the seatback rake angle, but it's fatigued
and will eventually snap.

So they're not available? I find that hard to believe...if I were you, I'd
check with another dealer. Failing that, I'd peruse the junkyards before
getting it welded.

Good luck!

Old November 9th 04, 07:54 AM
Jim Warman

IIRC, it is a federal (US federal, that is) requirement that parts be
available for 10 years... that there are no OEM parts available for
something over 10 years old should hardly be a reason for disbelief.

I often comment about failures that I find hard to believe to my
workmates..... the general concensus is that people put off repairs until
the failure is catastrophic. Many of these failures involve foodstuffs,
softdrinks, pocketchange, window scrapers, tools (usually visegrips and
crescent wrenches), sundry articles and 'expired' disposible diapers. And
you think your job is tough...

When problems are first noticed is the time to address them...... there is
no satisfaction to be gained from waiting until the damned thing wont work
at all since the bad part(s) will eventually take good parts to the grave
with them.

After several years in the 200+ range, I'm finally back to a more manageable
190ish...... I have yet to experience sagged seats, pooched recliners or
sundry other problems commonly associated with being large. I do see simple
fixes left until they are spendy fxes.

FWIW, anything that has to do with seat positioning is indeed a safety
related item..... when things go terribly wrong (motor vehicle mortality
rates suggest this happens a lot) is the wrong time to be fighting both car
AND driving position...

Old November 9th 04, 03:34 PM
Big Bill

On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 00:05:35 GMT, RikiTikiTavi >
wrote:

>I gave it a yank the other day to move the seat back more straight and crack!
>It broke.
>
>I looked at the broken part under a magnifying glass and one side of the
>crack was rusted, meaning a defective part from Ford. Grrrr.

Not really.
That truck is 13 years old. The rust only means that the piece was
cracked long enough for rust to form. That could have been only a few
months depending on where you are.

>Ford Parts say they no longer stock that braket part.

Ten years is the norm; you could try a wrecking yard.

>Has anyone else come across this? I'm thinking of getting a spot weld at
>some muffler shop.
>Sound good?

That should work.
Good luck!

>-- Riki
>--Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"
Old November 9th 04, 05:09 PM
Gerald Riggs

Mine broke on my 97 EB driver side too. Took it all off, and welded in a
stiffiner and all is well now. Better than ever. Can be done.

Old November 10th 04, 06:18 PM
Searcher

My 97 recline lever broke as well, but the dealer fixed it for free last
year. Nothing was said about it but it may have been a silent recall.
Searcher 1

"RikiTikiTavi" > wrote in message
>I gave it a yank the other day to move the seat back more straight and
>crack!
> It broke.
>
> I looked at the broken part under a magnifying glass and one side of the
> crack was rusted, meaning a defective part from Ford. Grrrr.
>
> Ford Parts say they no longer stock that braket part.
>
> Has anyone else come across this? I'm thinking of getting a spot weld at
> some muffler shop.
> Sound good?
>
> -- Riki
> --Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

just loving against a tree in back of the lane is too pretty for Roberta to pull it Lloyd General 0 January 10th 05 11:51 PM
convertible back seat Bob VW air cooled 2 December 11th 04 05:50 AM
Seat Broken - Warranty? ?? Honda 2 December 4th 04 04:56 PM
156 driver's seat - lumbar adjust broken?? fmt Alfa Romeo 1 October 13th 04 02:08 PM
Ford Explorer Drivers Seat James Hunt 4x4 2 April 7th 04 03:05 AM