A/C causes fuse to blow

Old July 30th 07, 07:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Fred[_12_]

Default A/C causes fuse to blow

1994 Ford Mustang GT 5.0. Had it for 12 years and in GREAT shape! A/C has
always been wonderful until this hot summer it started acting intermitant.
Cold for 10 min, no cooling for 10 min, cold again... weird... Today it
just QUIT, but I noticed my console clock was out! AHA! A FUSE! Sure
enough my #6 AC Clutch coil fuse was blowing out. replaced and clock comes
on, but when I switch on the AC I hear the compresor kick in and after 2
seconds the fuse blows again, and again and again. tried a 20 amp fuse
also but blew that too....

Any ideas on what's up? I am not a car guy and don't want to get rippedoff
from the local AC shop or even worse the dreaded DEALER... Think it's a
simple fix, or....? THANKS all for any ideas!

Fred
Old July 30th 07, 03:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Dear Leader

"Fred" > wrote in message
> 1994 Ford Mustang GT 5.0. Had it for 12 years and in GREAT shape! A/C
> has
> always been wonderful until this hot summer it started acting intermitant.
> Cold for 10 min, no cooling for 10 min, cold again... weird... Today it
> just QUIT, but I noticed my console clock was out! AHA! A FUSE! Sure
> enough my #6 AC Clutch coil fuse was blowing out. replaced and clock comes
> on, but when I switch on the AC I hear the compresor kick in and after 2
> seconds the fuse blows again, and again and again. tried a 20 amp fuse
> also but blew that too....
>
> Any ideas on what's up? I am not a car guy and don't want to get
> rippedoff
> from the local AC shop or even worse the dreaded DEALER... Think it's a
> simple fix, or....? THANKS all for any ideas!
>
> Fred

you probably need a new compressor, the seals ware out over time, put metal
crap into the freon, pull more on the fan clutch etc.
If this is the orgional compressor, you did fine! Time for another one, it
could be lifetime guarentee on it.
You can replace the fan clutch yourself, it is a bolt on. But the part is
too simple to fail in such a fashion I think.

But you can find the electrical diagrams online and see what else goes
through the fuse too

Good luck

93 5.0 8# rebuilt engine and fast
89 5.0

Old July 30th 07, 11:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
WindsorFox

Fred wrote:
> 1994 Ford Mustang GT 5.0. Had it for 12 years and in GREAT shape! A/C has
> always been wonderful until this hot summer it started acting intermitant.
> Cold for 10 min, no cooling for 10 min, cold again... weird... Today it
> just QUIT, but I noticed my console clock was out! AHA! A FUSE! Sure
> enough my #6 AC Clutch coil fuse was blowing out. replaced and clock comes
> on, but when I switch on the AC I hear the compresor kick in and after 2
> seconds the fuse blows again, and again and again. tried a 20 amp fuse
> also but blew that too....
>
> Any ideas on what's up? I am not a car guy and don't want to get rippedoff
> from the local AC shop or even worse the dreaded DEALER... Think it's a
> simple fix, or....? THANKS all for any ideas!
>
> Fred

Hell, why didn't you try a 60 amp fuse?? Sooner or later you gotta
find one that will not blow.

--
"....a couple of belts of .50 BMG individually
Old July 30th 07, 11:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
GILL[_2_]

WindsorFox wrote:
> Fred wrote:
>> 1994 Ford Mustang GT 5.0. Had it for 12 years and in GREAT shape!
>> A/C has always been wonderful until this hot summer it started acting
>> intermitant. Cold for 10 min, no cooling for 10 min, cold again...
>> weird... Today it just QUIT, but I noticed my console clock was out!
>> AHA! A FUSE! Sure enough my #6 AC Clutch coil fuse was blowing out.
>> replaced and clock comes on, but when I switch on the AC I hear the
>> compresor kick in and after 2 seconds the fuse blows again, and again
>> and again. tried a 20 amp fuse also but blew that too....
>>
>> Any ideas on what's up? I am not a car guy and don't want to get
>> rippedoff from the local AC shop or even worse the dreaded DEALER...
>> Think it's a simple fix, or....? THANKS all for any ideas!
>>
>> Fred

> Hell, why didn't you try a 60 amp fuse?? Sooner or later you gotta
> find one that will not blow.

Is a 22cal. the same?

--
Tropic Green Y2K Mustang GT
W/bits & pieces
Old July 31st 07, 12:08 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Joe Pfeiffer

Fred > writes:

> 1994 Ford Mustang GT 5.0. Had it for 12 years and in GREAT shape! A/C has
> always been wonderful until this hot summer it started acting intermitant.
> Cold for 10 min, no cooling for 10 min, cold again... weird... Today it
> just QUIT, but I noticed my console clock was out! AHA! A FUSE! Sure
> enough my #6 AC Clutch coil fuse was blowing out. replaced and clock comes
> on, but when I switch on the AC I hear the compresor kick in and after 2
> seconds the fuse blows again, and again and again. tried a 20 amp fuse
> also but blew that too....
>
> Any ideas on what's up? I am not a car guy and don't want to get rippedoff
> from the local AC shop or even worse the dreaded DEALER... Think it's a
> simple fix, or....? THANKS all for any ideas!

My guess would be failed (shorted) compressor clutch coil. If you're
not a car guy, take it in for fixing.

Note: if a fuse suddenly starts blowing, don't put in a bigger fuse.
Figure out what's broken, because something has, and tha fuse is
trying to protect your wiring.

Old July 31st 07, 12:26 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Dear Leader

"WindsorFox" > wrote in message
> Fred wrote:
>> 1994 Ford Mustang GT 5.0. Had it for 12 years and in GREAT shape! A/C
>> has always been wonderful until this hot summer it started acting
>> intermitant. Cold for 10 min, no cooling for 10 min, cold again...
>> weird... Today it just QUIT, but I noticed my console clock was out!
>> AHA! A FUSE! Sure enough my #6 AC Clutch coil fuse was blowing out.
>> replaced and clock comes on, but when I switch on the AC I hear the
>> compresor kick in and after 2 seconds the fuse blows again, and again and
>> again. tried a 20 amp fuse also but blew that too....
>>
>> Any ideas on what's up? I am not a car guy and don't want to get
>> rippedoff from the local AC shop or even worse the dreaded DEALER...
>> Think it's a simple fix, or....? THANKS all for any ideas!
>>
>> Fred

> Hell, why didn't you try a 60 amp fuse?? Sooner or later you gotta find
> one that will not blow.

+burn out your wiring, man.

Old July 31st 07, 04:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Fred[_12_]

Ok, Ok, OK, no bigger fuses, I got it, no problem. It got everyone all
excited though! hahahaha. Thank you all for the actual suggestions. Can
anyone tell me what a reasonable compressor repair/replacement would cost?
The guy could tell me some huge amount and I wouldn't know any better.
Thanks for the guidance!

Fred

Fred > wrote in
:

Old July 31st 07, 12:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
akheel

You likely do NOT need a new compressor. I have an 88 GT with 140K on it
and the compressor is still going strong. What you need is a new A/C
clutch coil coil and maybe a new A/C clutch pully and A/C clutch hub. I'm
doing the same replacement on my 2002 Explorer. On that car it's a pain
in the ass to replace because the compressor is mounted on the bottom of
the car. I don't know where it is on your 94 GT. On my 88 GT the
compressor is on the top of the engine and it wouldn't take more than an
hour to change out all three of these parts leaving the compressor on the
car, if the shop knows what they are doing. Add another hour for
diagnosis and general b.s. All three of these parts are about $150 total
(do some web searchs to get an idea of the cost.)

If your compressor is on the bottom of the engine, it will be cheaper and
faster for the shop to remove the whole compressor. Once you crack open
the system, it has to be completely evacuated and recharged. At that
point, on a car that old, I'd replace the compressor as long as your
paying for the labor to remove and replace it, evacuate and recharge the
system. And a little more bad news: When you replace the compressor, you
MUST replace the accumulator, otherwise the crap in the old one will
contaminate your new compressor, killing it and the warranty. A
replacement compressor with clutch assembly is about $300-$700 depending
on if's a rebuilt, new, OEM or aftermarket etc. All told, if you can get
away with just replacing the clutch because it's accessible, I'd expect
to pay $200-$400 at a shop. If you need to get a new compressor your
looking at around $1,000. These are big city prices (Los Angeles). It
could be less in a reasonable area.

Fred > wrote in
:

Old July 31st 07, 03:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Dear Leader

"akheel" > wrote in message
> You likely do NOT need a new compressor. I have an 88 GT with 140K on it
> and the compressor is still going strong. What you need is a new A/C
> clutch coil coil and maybe a new A/C clutch pully and A/C clutch hub. I'm
> doing the same replacement on my 2002 Explorer. On that car it's a pain
> in the ass to replace because the compressor is mounted on the bottom of
> the car. I don't know where it is on your 94 GT. On my 88 GT the
> compressor is on the top of the engine and it wouldn't take more than an
> hour to change out all three of these parts leaving the compressor on the
> car, if the shop knows what they are doing. Add another hour for
> diagnosis and general b.s. All three of these parts are about $150 total
> (do some web searchs to get an idea of the cost.)

so you get to choose, buy a clutch and put it on, if it fixes it, done!
If not, then you need new compressor and you are out the $150.

bad clutches do not hold at higher rpm, or just do not hold at all.
you can start engine open hood, watch clutch front, turn on AC and see it
spin as it grabs on
If it is flaky it may stop holding,

Old July 31st 07, 10:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
WindsorFox

GILL wrote:
> WindsorFox wrote:
>> Fred wrote:
>>> 1994 Ford Mustang GT 5.0. Had it for 12 years and in GREAT shape!
>>> A/C has always been wonderful until this hot summer it started acting
>>> intermitant. Cold for 10 min, no cooling for 10 min, cold again...
>>> weird... Today it just QUIT, but I noticed my console clock was
>>> out! AHA! A FUSE! Sure enough my #6 AC Clutch coil fuse was
>>> blowing out. replaced and clock comes on, but when I switch on the AC
>>> I hear the compresor kick in and after 2 seconds the fuse blows
>>> again, and again and again. tried a 20 amp fuse also but blew that
>>> too....
>>>
>>> Any ideas on what's up? I am not a car guy and don't want to get
>>> rippedoff from the local AC shop or even worse the dreaded DEALER...
>>> Think it's a simple fix, or....? THANKS all for any ideas!
>>>
>>> Fred

>> Hell, why didn't you try a 60 amp fuse?? Sooner or later you gotta
>> find one that will not blow.
>>

> Is a 22cal. the same?

Yeah, 22 long.

--
"....a couple of belts of .50 BMG individually