Dodge caravan ground points?

Old April 9th 08, 09:45 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected][_2_]

Default Dodge caravan ground points?

I am getting wierd things happening on a 2001 dodge caravan - all
electrical related.

I suspect grounding issues. Can anyone advise of the main ground
points on this vehicle?

- Battery
- I guess cable from engine to body.
- I am aware of one in the rear tail lamp assembly (left rear I
think).

Any others to check before I itemize the issues?

Also - does anyone know how difficult it is to remove the main fuse/
relay block near the battery in order to 'flip' it over and clean and
check things?

tia for your patience and assistance.
Old April 10th 08, 12:32 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected][_2_]

I found this that I am going to start with. It may be of use to
others:

This is a tuffy. My Chrysler service manual from Detroit only shows
how to remove the dash, headlight switch etc. in ref. to a ground
location. It doesn't show exactly where the ground is or how to get to
it. The Body Control Module (over your left leg under dash) has a
junction block in front of it that is separate and may contain ground
points. The connectors for both should be cleaned and checked. The
connectors on the PCM that is located up against the driver side
fender behind the power distribution box should also be cleaned along
with both ends of the battery cables. Also the Instrument Panel "leg"
supports are grounds that apparently initiate in the printed circuit.
I doubt that this is a problem but who knows. They show four ground
points at the Instrument Panel "legs". As for the cowl you may have to
remove the glove box or pillar trim to get to it. Here is the ground
points inside the car as listed.
G200---Inst. Panel Center Support (4)
G201 "
G202 "
G203 "
G300---Left Side Cowl
G301---Right Cowl Panel
G302---Left Rear Quarter Panel
G400---In Liftgate (rear door) This looks like a
grounding strip with several wires run to it)
Here is the ground locations elsewhere. You might also look under the
right rear tail light for a ground associated for a trailer wiring
configuration.
G100---Under Battery Tray
G101---Left side of engine
G102---Under Battery Tray (listed twice?)
G103---Left Rear of Engine
I think Chrysler made a retro wiring harness repair kit for the engine
to alleviate a wiring problem. I was also told that there are grounds
close to the radiator but I have yet to locate them. Hope this helps!
Old April 10th 08, 01:17 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Mike

> wrote in message
>I am getting wierd things happening on a 2001 dodge caravan - all
> electrical related.
>
> I suspect grounding issues. Can anyone advise of the main ground
> points on this vehicle?
>
> - Battery
> - I guess cable from engine to body.
> - I am aware of one in the rear tail lamp assembly (left rear I
> think).
>
> Any others to check before I itemize the issues?
>
> Also - does anyone know how difficult it is to remove the main fuse/
> relay block near the battery in order to 'flip' it over and clean and
> check things?
>
> tia for your patience and assistance.

What type of problems are you having ?

Old April 12th 08, 12:41 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Woody[_1_]

The first thing to do is have the battery checked. If it is the original
just replace it, it is well past it's life cycle. When they get old they do
not filter all the electrical noise and that plays havoc with the
electronics in the vehicle. Cars today are mobile computers and cannot
withstand any electrical noise in the system.

Old April 12th 08, 05:40 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected][_2_]

On Apr 11, 7:41*pm, "Woody" > wrote:
> The first thing to do is have the battery checked. If it is the original
> just replace it, it is well past it's life cycle. When they get old they do
> not filter all the electrical noise and that plays havoc with the
> electronics in the vehicle. Cars today are mobile computers and cannot
> withstand any electrical noise in the system.
>
> > wrote in message

> >I am getting wierd things happening on a 2001 dodge caravan - all
> > electrical related.

> > I suspect grounding issues. Can anyone advise of the main ground
> > points on this vehicle?

> > - Battery
> > - I guess cable from engine to body.
> > - I am aware of one in the rear tail lamp assembly (left rear I
> > think).

> > Any others to check before I itemize the issues?

> > Also - does anyone know how difficult it is to remove the main fuse/
> > relay block near the battery in order to 'flip' it over and clean and
> > check things?

> > tia for your patience and assistance.- Hide quoted text -

It is a brand new battery. I hope to get my mitts on the vehicle this
weekend to take a peek. Problem is it is always in use.

Rear tail lights out, rear wiper out, sometimes the dash lights up and
will not start - funny thing is the latter only occurred after the
battery was changed...
Old April 13th 08, 08:02 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected][_2_]

Well - I had a chance to check things out for a bit this weekend. I
was preparing myself for the worst, but so far so good.....

- It turned out the rear tail lights was a relay issue. I swapped
relays and they function ok , but now the horn does not - so obviously
the relay. I'll get a new one tomorrow.

- The heater I think turned out to be low coolant level and associated
vapour locks. I filled it up, ran it with the cap off for a bit, and
it seemed ok to me. Time will tell. (shhesh women - now I know why she
is soo exasperated with me and the way I do laundry....) lol.

- The issue was that the dash lights would come on and it would not
start or even crank. She said if she wiggled the gear shift a bit it
would start. I redid the battery connections and found an 'iffy' power
+ take off connection, so cleaned and tightened and it seems to be ok,
but she'll have to drive it for a bit and see if it re-occurs.

- The rear wiper motor I am sure is a relay and a gummed motor. I ran
out of time to try to find the relay. I did not see it marked, so it
must be in conjunction with another one. I'll have to check that
further another day...

I have had a bit of an issue with the caravan since new - it seems ot
eat relays at the rate of several every few years it seems. Usually
swapping them fixes the problem and causes something else to go
haywire, so I have just been replacing them. When I was checking it
out, I examined the large fuse/relay panel under the hood. It appears
(but not sure on that one) to be secured by plastic snaps on on the
bottom somehow. I am afraid to mess to much lest I break them.

Has anyone ever had one of those fuse/relay panels out? I'd like to
examine the underneath for any so-so or corroded contacts.

thanks and regards.

Old February 5th 20, 05:18 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Dodge Dan

replying to Mike, Dodge Dan wrote:
Wipers going off , light flashing on dash bell ringing , fuel gauge jumping
from full to empy , front windows wont work

--
for full context, visit https://www.motorsforum.com/tech/dod...nts-68801-.htm

Old July 3rd 20, 08:00 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
07T&C

I have seen this issue when some of the wires in the bundle that crossed from drivers door to body break. Take off the door panel and bull back the wires from both the door side and the body side to inspect for breakage

--
For full context, visit https://www.motorsforum.com/tech/dod...nts-68801-.htm

Old March 11th 21, 02:01 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Bruce G vanhorn

Car is hesitating

--
For full context, visit https://www.motorsforum.com/tech/dod...nts-68801-.htm

Winged Warrior Tribute: 1969 Dodge Charger Daytona at Chrysler Proving Ground Test Track Bronze fvl.jpg 282382 bytes HEMI-Powered @ [email protected] Auto Photos 0 April 16th 07 06:19 PM
pulled over with no lisence - 5 points + fine - where do the points go? [email protected] Driving 8 December 2nd 05 05:15 PM
Z4 - bad points? tim BMW 17 September 1st 05 12:21 PM
Positive ground or Negative ground 2.3Sleeper Dodge 27 February 28th 05 05:23 AM