A Cars forum. AutoBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AutoBanter forum » Auto newsgroups » Technology
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

'86 Ford 2.9 litre hwy stumble

Old January 28th 20, 03:38 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default '86 Ford 2.9 litre hwy stumble

My 87 Ford Ranger has a continual issue with stumbling, bucking, power loss while driving at any speed, when its cold it doesn't seem to do it, although at startup there seems to be a rough and erratic idle most of the time and trying to accelerate doesn't work when its cold. After it warms up during driving trying to accelerate will oftentimes result in the bucking, power loss, acting like it isn't getting any fuel. I'm leaning towards a Throttle Position Sensor (TPS), or the computer (EEC).
Ads
Old January 28th 20, 05:27 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_11_]
external usenet poster

Default '86 Ford 2.9 litre hwy stumble

On Monday, January 27, 2020 at 4:38:38 PM UTC-10, wrote:
> My 87 Ford Ranger has a continual issue with stumbling, bucking, power loss while driving at any speed, when its cold it doesn't seem to do it, although at startup there seems to be a rough and erratic idle most of the time and trying to accelerate doesn't work when its cold. After it warms up during driving trying to accelerate will oftentimes result in the bucking, power loss, acting like it isn't getting any fuel. I'm leaning towards a Throttle Position Sensor (TPS), or the computer (EEC).

I just replaced a TPS on my 99 Jeep with the 4.0L 6. It would stumble at idle and when accelerating until it warmed up. I had replaced the TPS previously so didn't suspect it. I replace the part again because it set the check engine light when I gave it a little more throttle than usual. The code was that the sensor was outside of its expected range. It's my fault because I used a 15 buck TPS from eBay. I like to buy cheap parts on eBay. In the case of a TPS, that's probably inadvisable.

I got one at the NAPA down the street. The XJ works just sweet now.