Dodge Dart electrical problems/starting problems

Old January 9th 20, 06:31 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Dodge Dart electrical problems/starting problems

On Monday, March 17, 2003 at 3:42:31 PM UTC-5, pawn wrote:
> Hi:
>
> I have a 1974 Dodge Dart Swinger, straight 6, with a strange starting
> problem:
>
> After driving the car for a random amount of time, then stopping, the
> car won't start. If I leave it sit for a small amount of time (10
> minutes) then play around trying to start it for anywhere between 10 and
> 30 minutes, it will finally start. If I leave it overnight, it will
> start every time. I know this much:
>
> - It's definitely electrically related: the battery is good, there is
> no sound, click, etc., when starting. The headlights are bright white
> and do not flicker even the tiniest amount when trying to start.
> - It's not the neutral safety switch, I replaced that. That is, it's
> not the switch on the transmission itself , but for all I know, there
> are other parts involved that might be faulty.
>
> I'm hesitant to mention, because I really have no idea, but it's
> possible that the starting problem occurs after the car gets wet.
> Certainly the above symptoms are consistent with something drying out
> after getting wet. They also seem consistent with something heating up
> or perhaps a static charge building up, then dissipating.
>
> I'm looking for any starting point here, I don't want to go down blind
> alleys.
>
> How likely are the following?
>
> - That the ignition switch in the steering column itself has stopped
> working properly?
> - That the wiring between the ignition switch and the neutral safety
> switch has gone bad?
> - There is some sort of relay or solenoid that the ignition switch
> wiring goes to, then combines with the battery lead and the ignition
> safety switch, then to the starter and starter solenoid. What can I do
> to check that each lead is getting it's required current/voltage? This
> seems to me to be a good spot to check all wiring.
> - A friend (who used to have a Dart) pointed out a ceramic piece just
> under the hood, near the drivers side passenger area, that he said once
> upon a time had to be replaced a couple of times. This isn't even
> shown on my Haynes manual. What could this be and could it be related?
>
> Sorry for the long story, I just wanted to give all the facts.
>
> Thanks for your time.

its called a ballast resister and it will cause a no start
Old January 9th 20, 11:48 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Paul in Houston TX[_2_]

wrote:
> On Monday, March 17, 2003 at 3:42:31 PM UTC-5, pawn wrote:
>> Hi:
>>
>> I have a 1974 Dodge Dart Swinger, straight 6, with a strange starting
>> problem:
>>
>> After driving the car for a random amount of time, then stopping, the
>> car won't start. If I leave it sit for a small amount of time (10
>> minutes) then play around trying to start it for anywhere between 10 and
>> 30 minutes, it will finally start. If I leave it overnight, it will
>> start every time. I know this much:
>>
>> - It's definitely electrically related: the battery is good, there is
>> no sound, click, etc., when starting. The headlights are bright white
>> and do not flicker even the tiniest amount when trying to start.
>> - It's not the neutral safety switch, I replaced that. That is, it's
>> not the switch on the transmission itself , but for all I know, there
>> are other parts involved that might be faulty.
>>
>> I'm hesitant to mention, because I really have no idea, but it's
>> possible that the starting problem occurs after the car gets wet.
>> Certainly the above symptoms are consistent with something drying out
>> after getting wet. They also seem consistent with something heating up
>> or perhaps a static charge building up, then dissipating.
>>
>> I'm looking for any starting point here, I don't want to go down blind
>> alleys.
>>
>> How likely are the following?
>>
>> - That the ignition switch in the steering column itself has stopped
>> working properly?
>> - That the wiring between the ignition switch and the neutral safety
>> switch has gone bad?
>> - There is some sort of relay or solenoid that the ignition switch
>> wiring goes to, then combines with the battery lead and the ignition
>> safety switch, then to the starter and starter solenoid. What can I do
>> to check that each lead is getting it's required current/voltage? This
>> seems to me to be a good spot to check all wiring.
>> - A friend (who used to have a Dart) pointed out a ceramic piece just
>> under the hood, near the drivers side passenger area, that he said once
>> upon a time had to be replaced a couple of times. This isn't even
>> shown on my Haynes manual. What could this be and could it be related?
>>
>> Sorry for the long story, I just wanted to give all the facts.
>>
>> Thanks for your time.

> its called a ballast resister and it will cause a no start

Finally an answer! 16 years later.

Old January 10th 20, 12:07 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

In article >,
Paul in Houston TX > wrote:
wrote:
>> On Monday, March 17, 2003 at 3:42:31 PM UTC-5, pawn wrote:
>>> Hi:
>>>
>>> I have a 1974 Dodge Dart Swinger, straight 6, with a strange starting
>>> problem:
>>>
>>> After driving the car for a random amount of time, then stopping, the
>>> car won't start. If I leave it sit for a small amount of time (10
>>> minutes) then play around trying to start it for anywhere between 10 and
>>> 30 minutes, it will finally start. If I leave it overnight, it will
>>> start every time. I know this much:
>>>
>>> - It's definitely electrically related: the battery is good, there is
>>> no sound, click, etc., when starting. The headlights are bright white
>>> and do not flicker even the tiniest amount when trying to start.
>>> - It's not the neutral safety switch, I replaced that. That is, it's
>>> not the switch on the transmission itself , but for all I know, there
>>> are other parts involved that might be faulty.
>>>
>>> I'm hesitant to mention, because I really have no idea, but it's
>>> possible that the starting problem occurs after the car gets wet.
>>> Certainly the above symptoms are consistent with something drying out
>>> after getting wet. They also seem consistent with something heating up
>>> or perhaps a static charge building up, then dissipating.
>>>
>>> I'm looking for any starting point here, I don't want to go down blind
>>> alleys.
>>>
>>> How likely are the following?
>>>
>>> - That the ignition switch in the steering column itself has stopped
>>> working properly?
>>> - That the wiring between the ignition switch and the neutral safety
>>> switch has gone bad?
>>> - There is some sort of relay or solenoid that the ignition switch
>>> wiring goes to, then combines with the battery lead and the ignition
>>> safety switch, then to the starter and starter solenoid. What can I do
>>> to check that each lead is getting it's required current/voltage? This
>>> seems to me to be a good spot to check all wiring.
>>> - A friend (who used to have a Dart) pointed out a ceramic piece just
>>> under the hood, near the drivers side passenger area, that he said once
>>> upon a time had to be replaced a couple of times. This isn't even
>>> shown on my Haynes manual. What could this be and could it be related?
>>>
>>> Sorry for the long story, I just wanted to give all the facts.
>>>
>>> Thanks for your time.

>> its called a ballast resister and it will cause a no start

>Finally an answer! 16 years later.

Except it's not the right answer... the ballast resistor will keep the
ignition from firing but it sounds like the original poster had a starter
that wasn't turning. It being a Dodge of That Era, likely the starter
commutator or brushes are bad although a bad ignition switch is very common
too. No doubt the car is long gone, though.
--scott