What a Great New Law!!

Old September 1st 05, 05:53 AM
Scott en Aztlán

Default What a Great New Law!!

In Arizona, if you get into a collision and don't have insurance, the
cops impound your car.

http://www.dailystar.com/dailystar/metro/91125.php

Tucson police have impounded around 30 vehicles in the past 20 days
under a strict new state law that requires police to seize crashed
vehicles if the driver isn't insured.

Police also have received a lot of phone calls from people wanting to
know how to get their cars back, said Capt. George Stoner of the
Tucson Police Department. The explanation is long, and online
instructions cover five pages.

Based on violation numbers from past years, TPD expects to impound up
to 2,500 vehicles in the law's first year, Stoner said. In past years,
officers impounded vehicles only for evidence purposes and probably
seized fewer than 100 a year.

Old September 1st 05, 07:06 AM
Pooh Bear

"Scott en Aztlán" wrote:

> In Arizona, if you get into a collision and don't have insurance, the
> cops impound your car.
>
> http://www.dailystar.com/dailystar/metro/91125.php
>
> Tucson police have impounded around 30 vehicles in the past 20 days
> under a strict new state law that requires police to seize crashed
> vehicles if the driver isn't insured.

In Europe it's illegal to drive an insured car. Damd good reasoning ! I
have nothing but contempt for uninsured drivers.

Graham

Old September 1st 05, 07:08 AM
Pooh Bear

Pooh Bear wrote:

> In Europe it's illegal to drive an insured car.

Sorry about that !

Graham

Old September 1st 05, 07:31 AM
brink

"Scott en Aztlán" > wrote in message
> In Arizona, if you get into a collision and don't have insurance, the
> cops impound your car.
>
> http://www.dailystar.com/dailystar/metro/91125.php
>
> Tucson police have impounded around 30 vehicles in the past 20 days
> under a strict new state law that requires police to seize crashed
> vehicles if the driver isn't insured.
>
> Police also have received a lot of phone calls from people wanting to
> know how to get their cars back, said Capt. George Stoner of the
> Tucson Police Department. The explanation is long, and online
> instructions cover five pages.
>
> Based on violation numbers from past years, TPD expects to impound up
> to 2,500 vehicles in the law's first year, Stoner said. In past years,
> officers impounded vehicles only for evidence purposes and probably
> seized fewer than 100 a year.

hey, i like this law, too. are you listening, cali?

i wonder though if an unintended consequence might be an increase in
hit-n-run once word of the law really gets out.

brink

Old September 1st 05, 02:51 PM
Ted B.

>> Based on violation numbers from past years, TPD expects to impound up
>> to 2,500 vehicles in the law's first year, Stoner said. In past years,
>> officers impounded vehicles only for evidence purposes and probably
>> seized fewer than 100 a year.

> hey, i like this law, too. are you listening, cali?
>
> i wonder though if an unintended consequence might be an increase in
> hit-n-run once word of the law really gets out.
>
> brink

I was wondering what would happen in the case of a clerical error. For
example, you go out and pay cash for a $25,000 vehicle. You call your
insurance agent, have it added to your insurance policy. Now what you don't
know is that there is a typo on the form, the insurance agent got the VIN
number wrong. You don't have the actual insurance card yet, and you somehow
manage to lose the temporary one. On the way home, someone rear-ends you.
The cops show up, you explain that you can't find your insurance card. The
VIN number doesn't match records of ANY vehicle that has car insurance. The
vehicle is impounded. -Dave

Old September 1st 05, 03:09 PM
Scott en Aztlán

On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 07:08:11 +0100, Pooh Bear
> wrote:

>Pooh Bear wrote:
>
>> In Europe it's illegal to drive an insured car.

>Sorry about that !

It's illegal here, too, but that doesn't stop people (many of them
illegal immigrants) from doing it. Of course, it's pretty tough to
drive without a license or insurance when your car is sitting in the
police impound lot - which is why this is such a great law.

Old September 1st 05, 04:21 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Thu, 1 Sep 2005, Pooh Bear wrote:

> In Europe it's illegal to drive an uninsured car.

Same for most places in North America. That doesn't stop people doing it.
Old September 1st 05, 04:55 PM
Jim Yanik

Scott en Aztlán > wrote in
:

> In Arizona, if you get into a collision and don't have insurance, the
> cops impound your car.
>
> http://www.dailystar.com/dailystar/metro/91125.php
>
> Tucson police have impounded around 30 vehicles in the past 20 days
> under a strict new state law that requires police to seize crashed
> vehicles if the driver isn't insured.
>
> Police also have received a lot of phone calls from people wanting to
> know how to get their cars back, said Capt. George Stoner of the
> Tucson Police Department. The explanation is long, and online
> instructions cover five pages.
>
> Based on violation numbers from past years, TPD expects to impound up
> to 2,500 vehicles in the law's first year, Stoner said. In past years,
> officers impounded vehicles only for evidence purposes and probably
> seized fewer than 100 a year.

Do they impound cars if you have a long-expired or revoked driver's
license?
(crash or not)

I hope so.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old September 1st 05, 08:56 PM
brink

"Scott en Aztlán" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 07:08:11 +0100, Pooh Bear
> > wrote:
>

>>Pooh Bear wrote:
>>
>>> In Europe it's illegal to drive an insured car.

>>Sorry about that !

> It's illegal here, too, but that doesn't stop people (many of them
> illegal immigrants) from doing it. Of course, it's pretty tough to
> drive without a license or insurance when your car is sitting in the
> police impound lot - which is why this is such a great law.

couldn't agree more. it's easy for jerks to drive around on suspended/no
license. practically impossible for these louts to drive with no car of
their own.

that's called treating the problem at its source.

brink

Old September 2nd 05, 03:04 AM
Harry K

Jim Yanik wrote:
> Scott en Aztl=E1n > wrote in
> :
>
> > In Arizona, if you get into a collision and don't have insurance, the
> > cops impound your car.
> >
> > http://www.dailystar.com/dailystar/metro/91125.php
> >
> > Tucson police have impounded around 30 vehicles in the past 20 days
> > under a strict new state law that requires police to seize crashed
> > vehicles if the driver isn't insured.
> >
> > Police also have received a lot of phone calls from people wanting to
> > know how to get their cars back, said Capt. George Stoner of the
> > Tucson Police Department. The explanation is long, and online
> > instructions cover five pages.
> >
> > Based on violation numbers from past years, TPD expects to impound up
> > to 2,500 vehicles in the law's first year, Stoner said. In past years,
> > officers impounded vehicles only for evidence purposes and probably
> > seized fewer than 100 a year.
> >

> Do they impound cars if you have a long-expired or revoked driver's
> license?
> (crash or not)
>
> I hope so.
>
> --
> Jim Yanik
> jyanik
> at
> kua.net

They do, or rather did, in WA. Became the law in IIRC about 2000.
They had a field day for a short period and then stopped enforceing it.
I never heard a good explanation of why they stopped other than
overloading the impound lots and the vehicles mostly not being worth
the impound fee.

Harry K

KRETP - Works great in KY Larry Scholnick Driving 3 June 27th 05 05:13 PM
My wife's headaches, ( a real sad story, and a great frustrating mystery) [email protected] Technology 20 May 11th 05 01:17 PM
A Great Day George Graves Alfa Romeo 7 December 21st 04 10:36 AM
GREAT AVIATION READS Cribsheet General 0 September 11th 04 06:20 PM