Rough Idle, Easy to Overheat along with different SES codes 97 SC1

Old July 5th 05, 04:14 PM
Weezay

Default Rough Idle, Easy to Overheat along with different SES codes 97 SC1

Please help!

6/01/05 I had a loud screeching while driving to work, so I pulled into
the dealer.
Front pads are worn to sensor and need to be replaced along with the
rotors.
They noted rear wheel cylinders were leaking (I made them show me) and
to replace.
I also asked them to put a new battery into my key fob in which they
told me they couldn't and had to replace with a new one ($54).
I held off on the rotors/calipers.
6/02/05 - Returned because I was worried and had them replace rotors
in front and rear calipers - $300 with 'free' rotors since they
shouldnt be wearing so soon (14K).
6/07/05 - I notice all of a sudden that the car shakes badly
especially around 60MPH. They balance and say it is fine.
It is NOT fine, so I bring back 6/10/05 - they say they are unable to
duplicate.
I also told them I had the SES light go on a few months back but it
went off when I replaced gas cap, but now it is back on and off
sporadically and that the car has trouble starting every other day or
so on the first try.
The car codes found we P0171, P0300, P0341 and P0656.
Replaced fuel pump ($460) and cleared codes.
Told them that car has had rough idle pas few months, so they did a
tune-up ($160 - I didn't realize I had had one a year before). They
say codes are cleared.
6/13/05 - Told them I still have shaking when driving especially
around 60mph and that it did not happen before the rotors were changed
on 6/2/05. They told me there were four flat spots and possible right
front wheel is bent. Free oil change thrown in per my request.
They also replaced the rotors with another pair when they duplicated
vibration.
6/30/05 - SES light on AGAIN!!!!! Some of the same codes as before
came up - P0300 and P0341 - I'm told I have to replace the
ignition module per Dave the mechanic and Eddy the Service Assistant
and that that should take care of the rough idle!!
$300+ later and it still has a rough idle and I also noticed when
accelerating, the car is rough as if it were a congested person, jerky
in a way, lurches.....
I also told them car goes into overheat range VERY easily and this
concerns me as it never used to do that before. They checked temp
sensor and temp gauge and for any leaks - all good. Also told them
I'm hearing a squeaking and they can't replicate.

7/02/05 - Oh yes, I went out and got FOUR NEW TIRES due to Saturn
telling me the shaking is probably caused by the flat spots and after
being told my Avis guys that they looked bad - another $300+!

The car still runs rough and when accelerating, still is rough and
jerky and congested like. I even put premium gas in. I have paid
roughly $2000 on this car in the last month!!!

Old July 6th 05, 11:11 PM
The Real Tom

On 5 Jul 2005 08:14:27 -0700, "Weezay" > wrote:

>Please help!

No offense, but 97 was a BAD Saturn year(had a 96 Saturn and have a 97
Saturn, they were night and day with reliablity). They had to extend
warrenties on compoents of the their cars, since they were flawed. I
really hate saying this, but next time check ConsumerReports before
purchasing your next car.

later,

tom @ www.CarFleaMarket.com

Old July 8th 05, 06:43 PM
Weezay

Believe me, I never wouldve gotten an American Car, but that someone I
worked with was turning in the lease after 3 years with only 18K and in
mint condition. My car was about to die, so I jumped at the
opportunity, but I will research for sure next time I purchase!

Old July 12th 05, 01:50 PM
The Real Tom

On 8 Jul 2005 10:43:53 -0700, "Weezay" > wrote:

>Believe me, I never wouldve gotten an American Car, but that someone I
>worked with was turning in the lease after 3 years with only 18K and in
>mint condition. My car was about to die, so I jumped at the
>opportunity, but I will research for sure next time I purchase!

Let me comfort you about something, whenever I do work on my car and
pull a part out, it's stamped "Canada" so I think only final assemly
of parts was in the US, and the Vin plate was made in the US.
Everything else seems to be imported. So you don't have an American
Car.

Good luck with the problems, I've had an issue that I've been trying
to chase down for 5 years in my saturn 97sl2. Intermitent rough
starts, rough idles, and stalls. Especially during very hot, or very
cold days. Get proficent at doing your own Coolant Temperature
Changes. Even after doing one, it only reduces the number of
problems, not the original one.

To Saturn's defense my 96SL2 Ran great. That car took to 100k miles
like nothing. Good luck.

later,

tom @ www.Mesothelioma-Poll.com

Old August 3rd 05, 01:56 PM

well my 97 sl2 is fantastic, has over 142K on it and runs great .
The error codes your getting sound more like bad plug or plug wires..
probably wires.
If wires weren't replaced I would start there.
For $18 I would also definetly replace the coolant temp sensor or you
can buy the $9 from napa and in any case replace it yourself.
The codes you are getting are pointing to cyclinder number 4 BTW