Battery Disconnect Switch for C-4??

Old February 8th 06, 01:55 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette

Default Battery Disconnect Switch for C-4??

Purchased a battery disconnect switch for my '94 coupe. (You known the one
with the dial to turn the battery on or off.) I hooked it to the
negative(-) post since I was told it doesn't make a difference and this is
easier to reach. Everything seemed OK until I tried to start the car. Then
everything went dead. Reconnected original battery cable and everything was
fine. Rehooked switch, same results. Any suggestions??

Old February 8th 06, 07:09 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

Forgot how those thing worked..but it is NOT a good idea to keep
disconnecting the Vette battery..each time you power on again the computer
has to learn you driving habits..takes about 20 miles of driving for the
computer to reestablish it's memory..and the constant power on power off is
hell on the computer...that's why many home computer users NEVER turn their
computers off.....its the initial power surge that kills them....like when a
light bulb blows..most always when you turn it on. Just my humble opinion
but ditch the switch...buy a battery maintainer instead.

Old February 9th 06, 04:28 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 19:09:05 GMT, "grayfox" >
wrote:

>Forgot how those thing worked..but it is NOT a good idea to keep
>disconnecting the Vette battery..each time you power on again the computer
>has to learn you driving habits..takes about 20 miles of driving for the
>computer to reestablish it's memory..and the constant power on power off is
>hell on the computer...that's why many home computer users NEVER turn their
>computers off.....its the initial power surge that kills them....like when a
>light bulb blows..most always when you turn it on. Just my humble opinion
>but ditch the switch...buy a battery maintainer instead.

===============
I agree on the Battery Tenders...all of my Corvettes have them
blinking away RIGHT NOW

However they do sell a connector that uses a regular 9 Volt battery
that you connect to your cigar lighter that will keep power on to the
cars Computer while the cars battery is disconnected...Ecklers, Mid
Amer etc all sell them...

More a pain to use however then just hooking up a Battery Tender..

But they do make it...

Bob G.
Old February 9th 06, 09:51 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

Thanks and I agree....I wanted the disconnect switch for a major car show in
our area. (Fire Regulation) I believe my initial problem was caused by a
defective battery cable.

Old February 10th 06, 07:47 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

On Thu, 9 Feb 2006 13:51:21 -0800, "Don Hardesty" >
wrote:

>Thanks and I agree....I wanted the disconnect switch for a major car show in
>our area. (Fire Regulation) I believe my initial problem was caused by a
>defective battery cable.

==================
Ok I now understand completely....

One of the common requirements for an indoor shows is that the gas cap
be taped shut with duct tape...

Did it the first time..(and not a sole even asked or checked) since
then I have taped the cap closed exactly zero times...

I have done a couple of dozzn indeoor shows...
The Battery Disconnect really never entered my mind since I have never
shown my C4 ...and disconecting the battery is an everyday occurance
for me in all of my older Corvettes...

Bob G.
Old February 11th 06, 02:22 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette

Yes, Bob........"All vehicles must have less than 1/8 of a tank of fuel (No
Exceptions). Vehicles must have locking or taped gas caps. Batteries must
be disconnected with a visible cut-off switch or removed cables that are
taped to prevent any sparking. All particicpants must have sign-off slip
filled out by floor spotter........etc, etc. " Yikes!!! Sort of takes the
fun out of it.

Old February 11th 06, 07:56 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette

blue87 wrote:
> In article >
> Bob G. > wrote:
>
> A poster above mentioned the power on/off/computer/surge potential
> problem. Have you ever had to replace any of the microprocessors maybe
> due to the powering up and down or are you not worried about it? I do
> know that computers don't like surges but don't know how this relates to
> this. Thoughts?

I ceased "worrying" by the late '80s -- solid state devices were well
protected by then. Any designer worth his or her salt will place
limiting devices on every input to a car computer. Hooking an
old-fashioned quick-charger up to a car without a battery might be a bit
much though.

My only self-inflicted wound -- pulling the battery on my '92 GMC
without a "keepalive." The stereo had Delco's early try at theft
prevention (I didn't know that the first owner had set the passcode).
Dealer wanted $ 35 to reset it so I got a nice Pioneer.

--
…PJ
Wheeled, black-on-black Sampsonite w/Corvette emblem