crackling speakers

Old December 4th 06, 03:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
tigerweeds

Default crackling speakers

94 XLT, speakers are crackling even after changing unit. Can this be a
built in amp that is causing problem,. If so,, can a backyard mechanic
like myself fix it by getting one from the wreckers, please help, my
teenage daughter is going to bonk me if I don't fix it lol. thanks.

Old December 4th 06, 08:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Captain Coleman

If you replaced the head unit, you don't need your factory amp any more.
You will need a wiring harness to bypass the factory amp unless you really
want to splice or solder, not worth the trouble IMHO. I know cutchfield.com
sells the wiring harness you need.

ps.com...

Old December 5th 06, 02:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Randy Johnson

If all of speakers are crackling, it is probably an Amp issue. If it is
only one speaker - the wiring from the speaker through the door jamb to the
interior probably has a bad spot from the opening of the door.

.. .

Old December 8th 06, 02:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

i have same problem on right speaker and all i did was remove door
panel and clean contact then plug back in that should work or replace
speker unit.

Old December 20th 06, 05:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
tigerweeds

thanks yarrrrgh for that highly informative wiring blueprint. I have
had my xlt in the pro. stereo shop for installation of my jvc unit.
When I was there I told them about the crackling, so they sold me the
wiring harness that goes behind the unit(I guess). $80 something
dollars later still crackling. I went back and he said for another $80
they will fix crackling by bypassing the amp like you said . So for
$160 or more I can have good sound, (why didn't he say this at the
beggining), well anyways thanks for the advice, maybe next summer(it's
freezing here in Canada now) I will try your project.

Old December 21st 06, 02:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Randy Johnson

Hi there -

You sound like you have a couple of things going on.

There are three different wiring harnesses available -

The first one is a pigtail unit that allows you to wire your head unit
to connector plugs that plug directly into the factory dash wiring.

The second one is that you can wire in to decrease the output from your
head unit and is wired between the head unit and the pigtail unit mentioned
above.

The third one is the amp bypass unit. This allows you to unplug both of
the connectors that plug into the factory amp and bypass it. No wiring is
necessary. The amp is located in the side panel in the right rear of the
the truck.

I tracked down a JBL amp/subwoofer unit and added this to my '94. It
replaces the factory amp and add the amp/subwoofer to your system. You do
need to run a full time power source to the amp to run it - this is standard
if your truck has the JBL system.

My local Checker auto parts store has the first pigtail and the third
one packaged together for something like $16.00.

You could bypass the amp and see if that is your issue very easily -
although it is fun to pull the panel to get to the amp.

Hope this helps,

Randy

oups.com...

Old January 3rd 07, 07:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Randy Johnson

Hi there -

Checker goes under different names in different parts of the country.

Main web page is www.cskauto.com

Randy

"yarrrrrgh" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 21 Dec 2006 08:21:10 -0600, "Randy Johnson"
> > wrote:
>
>>Hi there -

> <snip>
>
>> The third one is the amp bypass unit. This allows you to unplug both
>> of
>>the connectors that plug into the factory amp and bypass it. No wiring is
>>necessary. The amp is located in the side panel in the right rear of the
>>the truck.

> Well!! An old dog learned somethin new! *chuckles*
> 'Preciate the info Randy!
>
> Everywhere I've checked around these parts doesnt have such a harness
> though. :/
>
> Even though the job's already done, I'd much rather have used the
> above method.
>
>> My local Checker auto parts store has the first pigtail and the third
>>one packaged together for something like $16.00.

> Any chance of a link (if they have an online presence) to the harness?
> I'd like to keep the option available for the future...
>
> Sadly, no Checker Auto Parts in these parts, nor have I even heard of
> them before now. Are they a local only chain, or nationwide
> (regional)?
>
> TIA
>
>> You could bypass the amp and see if that is your issue very easily -
>>although it is fun to pull the panel to get to the amp.
>>
>> Hope this helps,
>>
>> Randy

groups.com...