Seeking Recommendations on Suspension Parts

Old September 6th 08, 02:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Default Seeking Recommendations on Suspension Parts

It's time for the Cobra to get a front-end rebuild. Even though the
alignment is set right and the tires are in good shaped/balanced
correctly, the steering feels a little loose and there's [now] a
slight vibration at high speeds. I'm thinking it probably needs tie-
rod ends, most likely inner, and/or maybe a new rag joint.

Anyone used any aftermarket pieces in their front ends? Or poly
bushings?

Please give me some feedback on brands and materials (rubber or
poly).

Patrick
'93 Cobra (w/135K on the ticker)
Old September 6th 08, 02:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
dwight[_3_]

> wrote in message
> It's time for the Cobra to get a front-end rebuild. Even though the
> alignment is set right and the tires are in good shaped/balanced
> correctly, the steering feels a little loose and there's [now] a
> slight vibration at high speeds. I'm thinking it probably needs tie-
> rod ends, most likely inner, and/or maybe a new rag joint.
>
> Anyone used any aftermarket pieces in their front ends? Or poly
> bushings?
>
> Please give me some feedback on brands and materials (rubber or
> poly).
>
> Patrick
> '93 Cobra (w/135K on the ticker)

WAY back when I had my suspension made over, I added the poly bushings. The
ride was a bit harsh and unforgiving (hey, I loved it, but my passengers
never did). I had the subframes and lower chassis bar installed, along with
performance struts, shocks, and springs. The entire combination was
ultratight.

If I could go back, I would keep the rubber bushings. That little bit of
cushion makes a difference.

dwight

Old September 7th 08, 02:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
WindsorFox[_5_]

dwight wrote:
> > wrote in message
>> It's time for the Cobra to get a front-end rebuild. Even though the
>> alignment is set right and the tires are in good shaped/balanced
>> correctly, the steering feels a little loose and there's [now] a
>> slight vibration at high speeds. I'm thinking it probably needs tie-
>> rod ends, most likely inner, and/or maybe a new rag joint.
>>
>> Anyone used any aftermarket pieces in their front ends? Or poly
>> bushings?
>>
>> Please give me some feedback on brands and materials (rubber or
>> poly).
>>
>> Patrick
>> '93 Cobra (w/135K on the ticker)

> WAY back when I had my suspension made over, I added the poly bushings.
> The ride was a bit harsh and unforgiving (hey, I loved it, but my
> passengers never did). I had the subframes and lower chassis bar
> installed, along with performance struts, shocks, and springs. The
> entire combination was ultratight.
>
> If I could go back, I would keep the rubber bushings. That little bit of
> cushion makes a difference.
>
> dwight

Someone once told me poly bushings squeek. Have you had that problem??

--

"Don't argue what you don't understand" - Johnny Rebel

Old September 7th 08, 07:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Mike Lenker

did poly all around, got the poly-graphite kit from PST, good stuff. New
ball joints, KYB struts, inner & outer tie rods...
nice tight ride.
mkl
'86 Capri 5.0 5 spd
175,000mi

Old September 8th 08, 03:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

On Sep 5, 8:31*pm, Michael Johnson > wrote:
> wrote:
> > It's time for the Cobra to get a front-end rebuild. *Even though the
> > alignment is set right and the tires are in good shaped/balanced
> > correctly, the steering feels a little loose and there's [now] a
> > slight vibration at high speeds. *I'm thinking it probably needs tie-
> > rod ends, most likely inner, and/or maybe a new rag joint.

> > Anyone used any aftermarket pieces in their front ends? *Or poly
> > bushings?

> > Please give me some feedback on brands and materials (rubber or
> > poly).

> I recommend anything sold by Maximum Motorsports.

I agree MM has good stuff. But been reading lots of complaints --
squeaking & they transmit too much stress to other parts -- about poly
bushings. I'm leaning hard towards new factory rubber pieces.

Patrick

Old September 8th 08, 03:39 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

On Sep 6, 8:17*am, "dwight" > wrote:
> > wrote in message

> > It's time for the Cobra to get a front-end rebuild. *Even though the
> > alignment is set right and the tires are in good shaped/balanced
> > correctly, the steering feels a little loose and there's [now] a
> > slight vibration at high speeds. *I'm thinking it probably needs tie-
> > rod ends, most likely inner, and/or maybe a new rag joint.

> > Anyone used any aftermarket pieces in their front ends? *Or poly
> > bushings?

> > Please give me some feedback on brands and materials (rubber or
> > poly).

> > Patrick
> > '93 Cobra (w/135K on the ticker)

> WAY back when I had my suspension made over, I added the poly bushings. The
> ride was a bit harsh and unforgiving (hey, I loved it, but my passengers
> never did). I had the subframes and lower chassis bar installed, along with
> performance struts, shocks, and springs. The entire combination was
> ultratight.
>
> If I could go back, I would keep the rubber bushings. That little bit of
> cushion makes a difference.

What brand of poly and did you get any squeaking?

Patrick