hub centering rings: plastic vs. aluminum?

Old December 13th 04, 12:14 AM
Grant Edwards

Default hub centering rings: plastic vs. aluminum?

As I was putting on my 3rd snow tire this morning, it dawned on
me that I needed centering rings for the aftermarket wheels
that my snow tires are on. Some places sell poly carbonate
rings, some places sell aluminum ones. Since they're supposed
to bear most of the weight of the car, I would think that one
would want metal ones. Anybody try any of the plastic ones?

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! What UNIVERSE is
at this, please??
Old December 13th 04, 06:15 AM
Chas Hurst

I have tried using no centering rings and so far the results are perfect.
Your lug nuts should hold the wheel true.

Chas Hurst

Old December 13th 04, 04:08 PM
Lanny Chambers

In article >,
Grant Edwards > wrote:

> Since they're supposed
> to bear most of the weight of the car, I would think that one
> would want metal ones.

They don't bear any weight at all. All they do is help center the wheel
until you can get the lugnuts on, and plastic works fine for this
trivial task. The lugs carry 100% of the weight. You can leave the
hubcentric rings out with no ill effect. Just observe the normal lug
tightening sequence: run them all up finger tight, then torque them in
two steps, in a diagonal pattern.

--
Lanny Chambers, St. Louis, USA
'94C
Old December 13th 04, 05:29 PM
Grant Edwards

On 2004-12-13, Lanny Chambers > wrote:
> In article >,
> Grant Edwards > wrote:
>
>> Since they're supposed to bear most of the weight of the car,
>> I would think that one would want metal ones.

> They don't bear any weight at all.

If so, there's a _lot_ of misinformation being spread by people
(including wheel manufacturers and car mags). According to
Ronal USA's web site:

"A hubcentric fitment, is one where the interior of the
backside of the wheel - referred to as "centerbore"-is an
exact fit to the "hub"-that protrudes from the mounting
surface of the wheel. The relevant issue here is that the
WEIGHT BEARING of the wheel on the car is done on the HUB
when it is "mated" to the wheel! This has to be an exact
fit. The LUG NUTS, simply affix the wheel and hold the
wheel to the car and do not affect load bearing."

According to Sport Compact Car magazine:

"Hubcentric wheels have a hole at their center that fits
closely over a round feature on the hub, serving to center
the wheel on the axis of the spindle, as well as bear the
vertical weight of the vehicle. The wheel bolts or studs
then serve simply to hold the wheel onto the hub, and are
loaded only in tension, where they are strong. If the studs
were required to absorb vertical forces, they would be
loaded in single shear, the weakest arrangement for any
fastener."

> All they do is help center the wheel until you can get the
> lugnuts on, and plastic works fine for this trivial task. The
> lugs carry 100% of the weight.

I think you're quite probably correct, but there sure is a lot
of misinformation out there...

> You can leave the hubcentric rings out with no ill effect.
> Just observe the normal lug tightening sequence: run them all
> up finger tight, then torque them in two steps, in a diagonal
> pattern.

A set of rings is only 10-15 USD, and it seems like good
insurance.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! I'm CONTROLLED by
at the CIA!! EVERYONE is
Old December 13th 04, 05:53 PM
Chas Hurst

"Grant Edwards" > wrote in message
> On 2004-12-13, Lanny Chambers > wrote:
> > In article >,
> > Grant Edwards > wrote:
> >
> >> Since they're supposed to bear most of the weight of the car,
> >> I would think that one would want metal ones.

> > They don't bear any weight at all.

> If so, there's a _lot_ of misinformation being spread by people
> (including wheel manufacturers and car mags). According to
> Ronal USA's web site:
>
> "A hubcentric fitment, is one where the interior of the
> backside of the wheel - referred to as "centerbore"-is an
> exact fit to the "hub"-that protrudes from the mounting
> surface of the wheel. The relevant issue here is that the
> WEIGHT BEARING of the wheel on the car is done on the HUB
> when it is "mated" to the wheel! This has to be an exact
> fit. The LUG NUTS, simply affix the wheel and hold the
> wheel to the car and do not affect load bearing."
>
> According to Sport Compact Car magazine:
>
> "Hubcentric wheels have a hole at their center that fits
> closely over a round feature on the hub, serving to center
> the wheel on the axis of the spindle, as well as bear the
> vertical weight of the vehicle. The wheel bolts or studs
> then serve simply to hold the wheel onto the hub, and are
> loaded only in tension, where they are strong. If the studs
> were required to absorb vertical forces, they would be
> loaded in single shear, the weakest arrangement for any
> fastener."
>
> > All they do is help center the wheel until you can get the
> > lugnuts on, and plastic works fine for this trivial task. The
> > lugs carry 100% of the weight.

> I think you're quite probably correct, but there sure is a lot
> of misinformation out there...
>
> > You can leave the hubcentric rings out with no ill effect.
> > Just observe the normal lug tightening sequence: run them all
> > up finger tight, then torque them in two steps, in a diagonal
> > pattern.

> A set of rings is only 10-15 USD, and it seems like good
> insurance.
>
> --
> Grant Edwards

I spent the money not spent on hub rings on a bottle of wine. What would hub
rings insure?

Chas Hurst

Old December 13th 04, 06:49 PM
BRUCE HASKIN

Grant is correct !!!

I have an old set of "PRIME" wheels ams the centers are about VW size. I
has always fighting an "out of round" problem with them. Prime did not
make "hubcentrics" for them, so I had a set made to match Miata, The out
of round problem is gone !
Plastic or Alum. ???? , just get them and use them. They will locate
the wheel properly as you put the nuts on.

Bruce RED '91

Old December 13th 04, 07:09 PM
Grant Edwards

On 2004-12-13, Chas Hurst > wrote:

>> A set of rings is only 10-15 USD, and it seems like good
>> insurance.

> I spent the money not spent on hub rings on a bottle of wine.
> What would hub rings insure?

That the wheels are centered with respect to the hubs. I don't
like to rely on humans being able to follow instructions (e.g.
lug nut tightening procedure).

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! .. I want a COLOR
at T.V. and a VIBRATING BED!!!
Old December 13th 04, 07:15 PM
Lanny Chambers

In article >,
Grant Edwards > wrote:

> > They don't bear any weight at all.

> If so, there's a _lot_ of misinformation being spread by people
> (including wheel manufacturers and car mags). According to
> Ronal USA's web site:

You trust a company that sells wheels adorned by Teddy bears??

> According to Sport Compact Car magazine:

Another known source of advertiser-driven misinformation.

> A set of rings is only 10-15 USD, and it seems like good
> insurance.

Removing the wheels again seems like a waste of time. If it ain't
broke...

In 40 years of owning cars, my current Rota wheels are the first with
hubcentric rings. Not a single one of the others ever fell off. The
industry has created a market for yet another unnecessary product.

The most useful purpose served by the rings is keeping small animals
from nesting in the gap between hub and wheel. :-)

--
Lanny Chambers, St. Louis, USA
'94C
Old December 13th 04, 09:18 PM
Grant Edwards

On 2004-12-13, Lanny Chambers > wrote:
> In article >,
> Grant Edwards > wrote:
>
>> > They don't bear any weight at all.

>> If so, there's a _lot_ of misinformation being spread by people
>> (including wheel manufacturers and car mags). According to
>> Ronal USA's web site:

> You trust a company that sells wheels adorned by Teddy bears??

Personally? No; I believe you're right. I was just pointing
out the abundance of mis-information (even from people who
_ought_ to know).

I always thought those teddy-bear were just a gag, then I saw a
picture on a personal web-page of somebody's car with the
teddy-bear wheels.

>> According to Sport Compact Car magazine:

> Another known source of advertiser-driven misinformation.

Apparently.

>> A set of rings is only 10-15 USD, and it seems like good
>> insurance.

> Removing the wheels again seems like a waste of time. If it ain't
> broke...

I swap wheels three or four times a year (sometimes in rather a
hurry) and I prefer to minimize the sources of error. IOW, I
don't trust myself to tighten the lug-nuts in the proper order.

> The most useful purpose served by the rings is keeping small animals
> from nesting in the gap between hub and wheel. :-)

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! ... bleakness...
at desolation... plastic
Old December 14th 04, 12:30 AM
Grant Edwards

On 2004-12-13, Lanny Chambers > wrote:

> 3. Repeat at 80 ft-lb.
>
> Note: this will be on your final. :-)

But, uh, I was told there'd be no math...

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! Is this TERMINAL fun?
at