to change a Honda Accord 1988 model timing belt

Old October 29th 05, 06:46 AM
Matt Ion

Default to change a Honda Accord 1988 model timing belt

TeGGeR® wrote:
> Matt Ion > wrote in
> newsUq8f.337951$tl2.334328@pd7tw3no:
>

>>TeGGeR® wrote:
>>

>>>You find mistakes? TELL ME. I NEED submissions. I only have one car
>>>myself. Any other experiences I have come from working on others'
>>>cars, or from submissions I receive from others. I have NO ego and a
>>>very thick skin. I've been on Usenet for quite a few years and am
>>>very used to criticism and MORE than eager to fix mistakes.

>>Have you ever thought of setting the site up using a "Wiki" back-end?
>>Might make ongoing maintenance easier, and add better support for
>>searching and indexing and such.

> Don't know what you mean by "'Wiki' back-end". Could you explain briefly?
>

> I'd dig it up myself, but I'm a bit tired just now.

See my other reply to SoCalMike. The "biggest" and most popular example
of this is www.wikipedia.org, which has actually been giving Encylopedia
Britannica's website a run for its money, and creating a good bit of
media buzz in the process. Google "wikipedia vs. britannica" (without
the quotes) - and about all those "Britannica buys out Wikipedia"
articles, do note the date on them...

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0543-2, 10/27/2005
Tested on: 10/28/2005 10:46:31 PM

Old October 29th 05, 05:48 PM
Matt Ion

SoCalMike wrote:
> TeGGeR® wrote:
>
>> Don't know what you mean by "'Wiki' back-end". Could you explain briefly?

> something about putting it up on wikipedia, somehow. or at least a copy
> of it, so people can add to it. i dont know how that works, but wiki can
> be a pretty interesting online encyclopedia, if you take it with a grain
> of salt.

I installed a wiki backend once to see what it was about... that
particular one, it was possible to setup access rights so editing could
be limited to permitted people... my main thinking was, the wiki concept
is to allow those of any skill level, even the computer-illiterate, to
edit content, meaning it's typically dead-easy. Plus, most wikis have
extensive indexing and search capabilities.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0543-2, 10/27/2005
Tested on: 10/29/2005 9:48:21 AM

Old October 29th 05, 05:51 PM
Elle

"SoCalMike" > wrote
> Elle wrote:
> > I suppose one could do a test: After removing and torquing the bolt to

spec,
> > magic marker a line down a diameter of the bolt and pulley. Operate the
> > engine for a few months. Check whether the line breaks up.

> or use nail polish, cuz youre a GIRRRRRRL!
>
> j/k... wanted to toss some neanderthal sexism in there, that's totally
> unwarranted.

In my opinion, some sexism is good. This is a great suggestion. The nail
polish brush size is just right. The polish may adhere just fine.

Plus, what else is just laying around to paint on an easy to read line
across the pulley and bolt?

Pink frost glitter should be a staple of every honda technician's toolbox.

IIRC, there is already a blue paint mark on my 91 Civic's pulley bolt, I
should at least check its orientation relative to the pulley's timing marks.
Then slap on the nail polish... :-)

> > Everyone has their opinions. Some are quickly refuted. Other issues

remain
> > controversial. I don't have a need to rehash the controversy. I think

the
> > bigger question is: Do sites like yours, mine, and the Blanchas site

help
> > people?

> i like just about every site ive run across. ive read yours and liked
> it, teggers is obviously really good... and with the new TSBs, even more
> betterer!

I agree, with the exception of maybe some of those forums which come up so
often when one is doing a search for info. Lotta junk in those. This forum
(rec.yada.honda) is much cleaner, and one can easily go to groups.google and
do a search of strictly it.

Those forums weren't nearly as prolific around 2000. Back then, I'd get a
lot more of the excellent homemade sites, like Blanchas's, when I googled.

I dunno about this wiki proposal, though. It sounds like any yahoo can go in
there and mess with things. I think a hman filter is needed, if only to
ensure something with which Tegger (and possibly others) doesn't agree
doesn't go up. It is his site, after all, as you know. He's done a lot of
work on it and I don't know if the wiki feature could have brought it as
far.

> > I used the Blanchas site a lot when I did my first TB job. Your own

site
> > has obviously helped a lot of people as well. Maybe my site will be of

some
> > use some day (for as long as I keep it up). Doesn't matter. I have a

number
> > of other home-made sites bookmarked for Hondas, too, and have referred

> > them a lot. I think all, while maybe not perfect, are overall very

helpful.

> > (None of the manuals are perfect, either.)

> "helm- there is no substitute"

I remain convinced that Chilton's is a spot-on reproduction of much of
Helm.
:-)

Old October 29th 05, 05:53 PM
Elle

"jim beam" > wrote
> when i was messing about with my crx, i played with the bolt tightness a
> little bit and found that i could have the bolt done to torque and easy
> to undo again, [i forgot something and had to remove the pulley a couple
> of times] yet one high speed test drive later, the bolt's one
> super-tight sob again!

As usual, great test; great anecdote for the archives.

Old October 29th 05, 05:56 PM
Elle

"Matt Ion" > wrote
> SoCalMike wrote:

snip
> > what would a wiki backend do?

> http://wiki.org/wiki.cgi?WhatIsWiki
>
> "Wiki is a piece of server software that allows users to freely create
> and edit Web page content using any Web browser. Wiki supports
> hyperlinks and has a simple text syntax for creating new pages and
> crosslinks between internal pages on the fly.
>
> "Wiki is unusual among group communication mechanisms in that it allows
> the organization of contributions to be edited in addition to the
> content itself.
>
> "Like many simple concepts, "open editing" has some profound and subtle
> effects on Wiki usage. Allowing everyday users to create and edit any
> page in a Web site is exciting in that it encourages democratic use of
> the Web and promotes content composition by nontechnical users."

Is this how Wikipedia works?

I always thought there was some person in charge of final editing, like the
first author. In other words, Wikipedia is not a free for all where anyone
can post anything to the main article.

I think the "free for alls" should be left for this newsgroup. Tegger can
pick and choose what meets with his approval.

Democratic use of the web happens by allowing people to create /their own/
web sites to respond to others, IMO, not by allowing people to monkey with
another person's site, so to speak.

Two cents.

Old October 29th 05, 06:02 PM
Elle

"SoCalMike" > wrote
T wrote
> > I'd dig it up myself, but I'm a bit tired just now.

> downloading all that proprietary honda technical knowledge must have
> been a strain
>
> i really hope you dont get hassled for it. been reading through some of
> em, and its interesting stuff. i might do the "windshield trim fix"

myself.

As in replacing a windshield?

Please do.

Old October 29th 05, 06:20 PM
jim beam

Elle wrote:
> "Matt Ion" > wrote
>
>>SoCalMike wrote:

> snip
>
>>>what would a wiki backend do?

>>http://wiki.org/wiki.cgi?WhatIsWiki
>>
>>"Wiki is a piece of server software that allows users to freely create
>>and edit Web page content using any Web browser. Wiki supports
>>hyperlinks and has a simple text syntax for creating new pages and
>>crosslinks between internal pages on the fly.
>>
>>"Wiki is unusual among group communication mechanisms in that it allows
>>the organization of contributions to be edited in addition to the
>>content itself.
>>
>>"Like many simple concepts, "open editing" has some profound and subtle
>>effects on Wiki usage. Allowing everyday users to create and edit any
>>page in a Web site is exciting in that it encourages democratic use of
>>the Web and promotes content composition by nontechnical users."

> Is this how Wikipedia works?

yes.

> I always thought there was some person in charge of final editing, like the
> first author. In other words, Wikipedia is not a free for all where anyone
> can post anything to the main article.

anyone can post anything. try it yourself. you'd be surprised at how
the good stuff is persistent and the crap gets quickly fixed.

Old October 29th 05, 07:00 PM
Elle

"jim beam" > wrote in message
> Elle wrote:
> > "Matt Ion" > wrote
> >
> >>SoCalMike wrote:

> > snip

> >>http://wiki.org/wiki.cgi?WhatIsWiki
> >>
> >>"Wiki is a piece of server software that allows users to freely create
> >>and edit Web page content using any Web browser. Wiki supports
> >>hyperlinks and has a simple text syntax for creating new pages and
> >>crosslinks between internal pages on the fly.
> >>
> >>"Wiki is unusual among group communication mechanisms in that it allows
> >>the organization of contributions to be edited in addition to the
> >>content itself.
> >>
> >>"Like many simple concepts, "open editing" has some profound and subtle
> >>effects on Wiki usage. Allowing everyday users to create and edit any
> >>page in a Web site is exciting in that it encourages democratic use of
> >>the Web and promotes content composition by nontechnical users."

> > Is this how Wikipedia works?

> yes.
>

> > I always thought there was some person in charge of final editing, like

the
> > first author. In other words, Wikipedia is not a free for all where

anyone
> > can post anything to the main article.

> anyone can post anything. try it yourself. you'd be surprised at how
> the good stuff is persistent and the crap gets quickly fixed.

I reckon I should mosey over there. The occasional crap doesn't get fixed
here but instead goes on perpetuating. That is, there's no "final say" as
there seems to be at Wikipedia. So I don't get how Wikipedia can be superior
to Usenet, unless someone's doing some editing at Wiki.

OTOH, I rarely go to Wikipedia for technical questions. I use it mostly for
biographies or overviews of historical events (though questioning anything
that looks fishy, which I do think is not hard to find).

There are a few particular women who have landed a spot in history there and
who are routinely roasted (in a mean way) on other sites at the net and
certainly on newsgroups. One would think that kind of crap would easily get
through on Wikipedia, if what you say is true. But on the contrary, the
entries are clean, making reference to controversy but generally, without
more facts, withholding judgment.

Old October 29th 05, 07:11 PM
jim beam

Elle wrote:
> "jim beam" > wrote in message
>
>>Elle wrote:
>>
>>>"Matt Ion" > wrote

>>>snip

>>>Is this how Wikipedia works?

>>yes.
>>

>>>I always thought there was some person in charge of final editing, like

> the
>
>>>first author. In other words, Wikipedia is not a free for all where

> anyone
>
>>>can post anything to the main article.

>>anyone can post anything. try it yourself. you'd be surprised at how
>>the good stuff is persistent and the crap gets quickly fixed.

> I reckon I should mosey over there. The occasional crap doesn't get fixed
> here but instead goes on perpetuating. That is, there's no "final say" as
> there seems to be at Wikipedia. So I don't get how Wikipedia can be superior
> to Usenet, unless someone's doing some editing at Wiki.

anyone can edit a wiki, either well or badly. but the point is, and
it's an amazing phenomenon given its unregulated nature, that wiki's
usually turn out just fine.

> OTOH, I rarely go to Wikipedia for technical questions. I use it mostly for
> biographies or overviews of historical events (though questioning anything
> that looks fishy, which I do think is not hard to find).
>
> There are a few particular women who have landed a spot in history there and
> who are routinely roasted (in a mean way) on other sites at the net and
> certainly on newsgroups. One would think that kind of crap would easily get
> through on Wikipedia, if what you say is true. But on the contrary, the
> entries are clean, making reference to controversy but generally, without
> more facts, withholding judgment.

that's exactly my point. the good stuff generally persists. check out
the editing histories on some controversial subjects.

Old October 29th 05, 09:20 PM
SoCalMike

Elle wrote:
> "SoCalMike" > wrote
> T wrote
>>> I'd dig it up myself, but I'm a bit tired just now.

>> downloading all that proprietary honda technical knowledge must have
>> been a strain
>>
>> i really hope you dont get hassled for it. been reading through some of
>> em, and its interesting stuff. i might do the "windshield trim fix"

> myself.
>
> As in replacing a windshield?
>
> Please do.

nah- the TSB about the rubber gasket wrinkling. mines been like that
since day1, and slightly annoying. means pulling the gasket out,
trimming the inner lip off, then laying it down with silicone.