Replacing Timing belt 1986 Honda Accord LX

Old August 7th 05, 02:28 AM

Default Replacing Timing belt 1986 Honda Accord LX

Any information regarding the changing of the timing belt on my 1986
Accord would be appreciated. A link to an instructional web site
would be even better. I have bought the belt, tensioner, water pump
and feel confident I can do the job. My car is a five speed
carbureted engine with 183,000 miles.

Thanks in advance
Bill
Old August 7th 05, 04:11 AM
Elle

www.autozone.com has free online repair guides for most Hondas made before
1996 . It's a good start.

I advise first spending a weekend figuring out how you are going to break
free the crankshaft pulley bolt, then doing so. You do not have to fully
dis-assemble everything to get at the bolt. Freeing this bolt is one of the
biggest hoops through which you must jump to accomplish this maintenance.

Old August 7th 05, 04:57 AM
Bill

wouldn't a half inch air impact tool break free the crankshaft pulley
bolt ???

On Sun, 07 Aug 2005 03:11:17 GMT, "Elle"

Old August 7th 05, 05:50 AM
SoCalMike

Bill wrote:
> wouldn't a half inch air impact tool break free the crankshaft pulley
> bolt ???

depends on the tool, how many lb/ft of torque it can put out, the
compressors PSI, hose inner diameter... but yes- a garage compressor
withan ingersoll rand 1/2" drive gun SHOULD be able to.
Old August 7th 05, 03:50 PM
Elle

Yes, like Mike said.

But there are three other viable alternatives in my mind, based on my
reading here but also based on my replacement of the front crank seal (which
requires removal of the pulley bolt) on my 1991 Civic:

1.
Take it to your local shop and have them break it free with their probably
bigger, industrical size air impact wrench set. Tip I dunno $10. Snug up the
bolt, drive home, and it should come free again easily. Quick, dirty, and
pretty safe.

2.
Or there is a tool that can be purchased for around $50 (maybe less on Ebay
or with enough searching) that will hold the pulley (and so crankshaft
fixed) while you use a breaker bar, 3/4" extension, 3/4"-1/2" adapter, and
1/2" socket to break it free.

3.
Or you can fabricate your own tool. For my 1991 Civic, the cost of this
home-made tool ran about $10.

Email me if you want some more sites (that also have photos) of the whole
procedure, with special attention (of course!) to breaking free the pulley
bolt.

Ask if you want more info about the tools in (2) and (3) above.

"Bill" > wrote

Old August 9th 05, 12:18 AM
High

Bill wrote:
> wouldn't a half inch air impact tool break free the crankshaft pulley
> bolt ???
>

> On Sun, 07 Aug 2005 03:11:17 GMT, "Elle"
> > wrote:
>

>>www.autozone.com has free online repair guides for most Hondas made before
>>1996 . It's a good start.
>>
>>I advise first spending a weekend figuring out how you are going to break
>>free the crankshaft pulley bolt, then doing so. You do not have to fully
>>dis-assemble everything to get at the bolt. Freeing this bolt is one of the
>>biggest hoops through which you must jump to accomplish this maintenance.
>>
> wrote
>>
>>>Any information regarding the changing of the timing belt on my 1986
>>>Accord would be appreciated. A link to an instructional web site
>>>would be even better. I have bought the belt, tensioner, water pump
>>>and feel confident I can do the job. My car is a five speed
>>>carbureted engine with 183,000 miles.

Maybe this link will help with the bolt:

http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/faq.html#crankbolt