95 neon nightmare?

Old July 10th 06, 05:09 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge
[email protected][_1_]

Default 95 neon nightmare?

95 Neon, 78,000 miles, no previous problems, driving after 1 mile,
normal, started sounding like rocks in the hubcap, then a bang, lost
engine power, engine cut off, coasted to stop, then engine leaked
coolant from pulley area of engine, no other fluids leaked, motor turns
over but will not fire, no overheating involved. ???? Help, diagnosis,
prognosis?

Old July 10th 06, 05:44 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge
maxpower

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> 95 Neon, 78,000 miles, no previous problems, driving after 1 mile,
> normal, started sounding like rocks in the hubcap, then a bang, lost
> engine power, engine cut off, coasted to stop, then engine leaked
> coolant from pulley area of engine, no other fluids leaked, motor turns
> over but will not fire, no overheating involved. ???? Help, diagnosis,
> prognosis?

Sounds as if your water pump took a dump making the timing belt jump.
I believe this is not a free wheeling engine and could have bent the valves
if the piston hit them..
Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech

Old July 10th 06, 06:23 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge
[email protected][_1_]

maxpower wrote:
> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > 95 Neon, 78,000 miles, no previous problems, driving after 1 mile,
> > normal, started sounding like rocks in the hubcap, then a bang, lost
> > engine power, engine cut off, coasted to stop, then engine leaked
> > coolant from pulley area of engine, no other fluids leaked, motor turns
> > over but will not fire, no overheating involved. ???? Help, diagnosis,
> > prognosis?
> >

> Sounds as if your water pump took a dump making the timing belt jump.
> I believe this is not a free wheeling engine and could have bent the valves
> if the piston hit them..
> Glenn Beasley
> Chrysler Tech

Sooo, if that sounds like what I think it does, considering I paid 2800
for this car a year ago, is there much use in trying to save it or is
it terminal??

Old July 10th 06, 06:27 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge
maxpower

> wrote in message
oups.com...

> maxpower wrote:
> > > wrote in message
> > oups.com...
> > > 95 Neon, 78,000 miles, no previous problems, driving after 1 mile,
> > > normal, started sounding like rocks in the hubcap, then a bang, lost
> > > engine power, engine cut off, coasted to stop, then engine leaked
> > > coolant from pulley area of engine, no other fluids leaked, motor

turns
> > > over but will not fire, no overheating involved. ???? Help, diagnosis,
> > > prognosis?
> > >

> > Sounds as if your water pump took a dump making the timing belt jump.
> > I believe this is not a free wheeling engine and could have bent the

valves
> > if the piston hit them..
> > Glenn Beasley
> > Chrysler Tech

> Sooo, if that sounds like what I think it does, considering I paid 2800
> for this car a year ago, is there much use in trying to save it or is
> it terminal??

I have no idea what the vehicle looks like or what kind of shape it is in.
and you would first have to get it diagnosed

Old July 10th 06, 06:58 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge

maxpower wrote:
> > wrote in message
> oups.com...

> > > oups.com...

> turns
> > > >

> > > Sounds as if your water pump took a dump making the timing belt jump.
> > > I believe this is not a free wheeling engine and could have bent the

> valves
> > > if the piston hit them..
> > > Glenn Beasley
> > > Chrysler Tech

> > Sooo, if that sounds like what I think it does, considering I paid 2800
> > for this car a year ago, is there much use in trying to save it or is
> > it terminal??
> >

> I have no idea what the vehicle looks like or what kind of shape it is in.
> and you would first have to get it diagnosed

Oh, I understand that and I'm not quoting you, just wondering if it is
that, and you're not the first today to mention that, if it will be
replacing the engine or is it a fix that might exceed my perceived
worth of the car being fixed..roughly $500.....

Old July 10th 06, 07:04 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge
maxpower

> wrote in message
ps.com...

> maxpower wrote:
> > > wrote in message
> > oups.com...

lost

> > turns

diagnosis,

jump.

> > valves
> > >
> > > Sooo, if that sounds like what I think it does, considering I paid

2800
> > > for this car a year ago, is there much use in trying to save it or is
> > > it terminal??
> > >

> > I have no idea what the vehicle looks like or what kind of shape it is

in.
> > and you would first have to get it diagnosed

> Oh, I understand that and I'm not quoting you, just wondering if it is
> that, and you're not the first today to mention that, if it will be
> replacing the engine or is it a fix that might exceed my perceived
> worth of the car being fixed..roughly $500.....

$500 bucks beats a car payment every month for 3 years, and those Neon's
aren't really bad on gas either

Old July 11th 06, 06:17 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge
sqdancerLynn[_1_]

Your problems do not sound good I'm guessing the cam belt tensioner broke
?? distroying the waterpump / timing belt. Since you have tried to
start it did it turn over faster than normal? good indication the timing
belt is broken. Pull the valve cover off Look for any unusual valve
clearances indicating bent valves ??

Old July 11th 06, 05:02 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge

sqdancerLynn wrote:
> Your problems do not sound good I'm guessing the cam belt tensioner broke
> ?? distroying the waterpump / timing belt. Since you have tried to
> start it did it turn over faster than normal? good indication the timing
> belt is broken. Pull the valve cover off Look for any unusual valve
> clearances indicating bent valves ??

No, it turns over regular speed. no unusal noise when turning it over.
No water in oil. Either way, guess it's going to be no simple fix.