YJ Breaks down - Bad Triple AAA Experience.

Old December 17th 05, 07:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default YJ Breaks down - Bad Triple AAA Experience.

I figure I'd put this ins seprate post, because it is sort of a rant, and
some people won't want to read it.

Last year my 90 YJ Blew a water pump and AAA had an independent tow truck to
me in less that 30 minutes, polite tow person, offered me his cell phone to
make arrangements with garage, wife, employer, and offered me a ride.

But yesterday I had my worst experience with AAA.

My Jeep gets hung up in a snow bank, because a plow went through an
intersection, didn't raise its wing and buried the front of the Jeep with a
few feet of snow. It was on an incline, at a red light, with a line of
traffic behind me. Long story-short, going up over the snow bank, does
something to kill the starter and the electrical system.

OK. Call 911, because I'm blocking traffic on the exit ramp and I am one
quarter of the way in to the intersection, which is not a flat intersection
but a hump, so you can't just push through it. Plus it has been snowing so
there is over a foot of snow to go through.

Time is about 7:30 am.

Local police come. Real pleasant, considering it is snowing, slippery, a
line of traffic. He helps me shovel the Jeep and gets the traffic around
the Jeep so we can push it 10 feet back down the ramp, so he can put his car
behind it with lights and get traffic moving around us.

He asks if I want a tow, AAA. I tell him I have Triple A. He says he'll
make the call for me, if He can have my card. I go to get my card and
realize I can't see! One of my lens has fallen out while we were pushing
the Jeep!

I know the card is the gold one in my wallet, so I find it by color and give
it to him and then spend 10 minutes in a foot of snow and somehow find the
lost lens in one piece.

The officer lets me know that AAA is on the way and he will stay there
because he think the situation could be hazardous.

About 30 minutes later a "real" AAA Flat bed shows up. Logo on the side,
driver with official looking jacket, etc. The Syracuse Triple A has its own
trucks and drivers!

Time is about 8:00 am.

We are discussing the best way to load the Jeep, since we are in the
intersection, when a second AAA tow truck show up. Wow! What service! Two
truck - two official looking guys. This is great!

So he'll stop traffic with his truck and lights, so the flat bed can back
in.

All goes just like clock work. Less than 5 minutes.

HERE IS WHERE IT ALL STARTS TO GO DOWNHILL!

Driver asks, "Where do you want it towed?" Now BOTH drivers are standing
right there.

I tell them, Trapasso's Garage, Fulton (NY), which is located directly in
front of the Fulton State Police Barracks.

Driver says he is not really familiar with Fulton. Do I know the street
address? No I do not, but is is in Fulton, right next to the State Police
Barracks.

I tell him, pull out to your left and go down the ramp, take 481 North to
Fulton. Get to near the center of town and I'm not sure if it is the 3rd
light or the 4th light, but you'll see a company like Hutamaka on the left,
a wendys, Take a right. And go until you see the State Police Barracks.

He then asks, are you going to ride with me?

I replied that the officer has been kind enough to drive me the mile to
where I work, and that my wife had already called the garage, they've worked
on the Jeep before and already were getting a starter and some other
possible needed parts to have on hand, so if that was indeed the cause they
could get it right in and back to me.

He says, OK. I'll call dispatch and get the street address.

Both tow trucks pull away. The officer waits until they clear the scene.
Motions me to get in the car and drives me to work. I thank him for
everything.

The garage where I wanted the Jeep taken is 14.9 miles North of where it
broke down. Even in the bad weather, he should be there in 30 minutes, heck
even give him an hour in case he stops for coffee or something.

Time is about 8:15 am.

At 1:00 pm my wife calls me (She had been home all morning waiting for the
weather to clear so she could put in a half days work - my job, I'm
considered "essential staff" so I get docked a day even when they are
closed, if I don't show up) Anyway, 1:00 PM. She tells me she called the
garage to make arrangements to pay and pick up the Jeep and they tell her,
Jeep isn't there! Never showed up!

1:05 PM I call AAA.

"Hey, I had a road side emergency tow this morning at about 8:00 am and the
garage tells me, the Jeep hasn't gotten there yet. What happened?"

They go through all the stuff, name, etc to bring up the computer screen
(Also I am calling the LOCAL Syracuse AAA office, not a 800 anywhere number)

"Well, it says here you didn't tell the driver where you wanted it taken"

OK - so my bloods beginning to boil, and I say, No, I told the driver
EXACTLY where to take it. I told BOTH drivers where I Wanted it taken. I did
not have the EXACT street address, but the driver said he would call
dispatch and get the address.

"Well where did you want it taken?" I told him exactly what I told the
other two drivers. And I ask, by the way, where is the Jeep.

"Oh, it's here in our yard."

We go back and forth a little bit, no swearing or anything, just disbelief
that it was not delivered.

"Well it says in the drivers report, you didn't give him your phone number
so we had no way to get in touch with you to find out where you wanted it,
so we off loaded it."

I asked him if he had his computer screen up in front of him and he told me
yes, he did. OK. Let's check something, is my address correct? I give him
my address. Then I ask him - Now, where is says phone number, you do have a
phone number listed there for me, don't you?

Silence.

"We didn't know your work number?"

I said, my wife has been home all morning. She has made arrangements with
the garage. They are waiting for the Jeep.

"Well sir it says in the drivers report you left the scene before the truck
left so the driver did not know where to take the Jeep.

Oh-Boy, can blood really boil! I review with him that the Officer and I
stayed until the truck left he scene.

"Oh, the officer was there too? Let me put you on hold.

Back off hold 10 minutes or so later.
"We'll get it there today sir."

Unaccepatable! I've made arrangements with some people I know that are
coming in to Syracuse to shop. They were/are going to pick the Jeep up and
drop it off so I can get home. I live 30 miles from where I work. The
garage said they can fix it by the time the close today at 5:00 pm. THey are
not open this weekend. So if you put it on a truck now (It is about 1:30 by
now), and truck it, it will be there in an hour, plenty of time for them to
fix it and for me to get home. You do understand the problem? No Jeep. No
way to get home?

"Let me put you on hold" (Another 10 minutes or so)

While on hold, I look up the address, phone number of the garage. Call the
garage and talk with them. Yes they will work on my Jeep right way because
they know I need it.

The AAA guy comes back on the line. I give him the name of the garage, the
address of the garage and the phone number of the garage.

"Sir, all our trucks are busy now"

I'll tell you what. Don't use one of your trucks. Call a tow company. Get
one of their trucks there NOW and get that Jeep on the road, so I have a way
to get home tonight! And YOU will pick up the cost!

(On hold again)

"Sir, we have it logged in for pick up by 2:08 pm toady.

I figure OK, even if they leave by 2:30, get there by 3:30 the guys at the
garage should be able to get it done by 5:00 pm.

I then stay on the line and tell him to add a note, that is is a formal
complaint, that the service has been rotten. (I left out the part where he
told me that since I was at work I was safe and secure and they had to do
their assistance first before they could take care of my problem - the
problem they created when THEIR driver decided he didn't want to go 15 miles
North - I need to find out if those guys get paid by the call, that would
explain why he dumped my Jeep, so he could hit some local tows!)

So we end up, I remind him 2:08. You have my work number, I expect a call
at 2:10 for you to updated me on the status of this situation. Hang up.

So I'm working away not realizing the time and see that is is 4:00 PM.

Call the garage. "Hows the Jeep?"
"What Jeep?"
"The White 1990 Wrangler Triple A dropped off, probably 30 minutes, an hour
ago."
"Hold on." "Sir, I checked our lot, our side lot and inside all the bays,
there are no Jeeps here. Let me get you the owner.

The owner comes on, he knows from my wife's call and my previous call the
situation. He tells me, if it shows up - yeah he was suppose to close at 5,
but if it gets there by 5:00 pm he'll stay and work on it. I thank him.

4:10 PM Call Triple A
"I have a problem, my Jeep was supposed to be taken to a specific garage
today at 9:00 am, it's not there yet -"
"What's you name, etc....again"

"OH, yes sir, I have the information right here, You didn't give the driver
a place to take it so they took it to our Taft Road Offices in Syracuse, do
you want it to go someplace?"

I briefly explain, heatedly, how their driver lied for some reason, the
conversation with the person I had a 1:00 pm about the Jeep and how it was
suppose to be on a truck at 2:08, and how if it is still on their lot, They
have a real problem, because I don't have a way to get home.

"Hmmm sir, I think I better have you speak with a supervisor.

Supervisor comes on line.

I briefly explain the entire story you've read so far, hitting only the high
points, like the driver's incompetence, lying, no call back at 2:10, so we
could have dealt with the situation then.

"She puts me on hold"

"Sir, I show here that the transport is at the lot and your Jeep is being
taken to the garage."

She does not yet understand the situation. So I have to spell it out for
her. Had the Jeep been taken directly to the garage in the morning. I
would have a ride home. Had the Jeep been taken at 2:08, I would have a
ride home. But since the Jeep is now going to arrive AFTER the garage is
closed, I have TWO problems that they have caused. 1. I have no ride home.
2. I have no way to get to work on Monday, because they will need to fix the
Jeep on Monday, and I don't want to loose a days pay because of all their
screw up and incompetence all day long.

She puts me on hold.

While on hold, I start making phone calls on another line, and after 5 or so
calls find a friend who would be able to get me.

15 minutes later she gets back on the line, And I tell her, while she had
me on hold I found a way to get home. She told me she had been working on
that - I told her that is the first time today anyone had tried to fix the
situation.
But - I explain to her the second situation. No way to get to work. And I
suggest to her that I think Triple A can provide for me a car Sunday night,
preferably a 4WD or All-wheel drive as snow squalls are predicted, so I can
drive to work on Monday, make arrangements to get my Jeep and then drop the
car off Monday night.

She asks if I have a cell phone and I give her my number. She says she will
call me back. I told her that I won't be home until 8:00 pm because of the
arrangements, so you call my cell up to then and my home after that.

Then I think to ask. When they drop the Jeep off, they will secure the
Jeep. I mean the garage will be closed.

"Oh, yes" If there is a drop box the driver always puts the keys in it.

So----On my way home I ask if we can make a 10 minute detour to the garage.

Guess what? Garage is closed! Guess what? The Jeep doors are open and the
keys are in the ignition. Along with the gas cap key and the back
compartment key.

And of course, oh, yeah, even at night, I can see it. They have a drop box
right by the door!!!

They haven't called me yet about a car for work on Monday either. Think I
should hold my breath?

Thanks for letting me rant - but I do want to get the message out, that the
Syracuse Branch of the Triple A, on this instance has been totally
incompetent. I plan to write a formal complaint (Won't help me, might the
next person) and find out what other agency's you can write to to report
how I was treated by Triple A that day.

Like I said before - I've used Triple A in the past, and every other time it
was an independent tow that Triple A contracts with and they have ALWAYS
been on time, polite and helpful.

This is the first time that the Syracuse Triple A, which keeps its own fleet
of trucks and drivers responded, and the response, the lying by the driver,
the lack of concern and slow/no action is unbelievable.

But I'm thinking, we have a car in our driveway that is fully licensed and
insured, and plated, but has slipping clutch that we plan to get fixed after
the holiday bills.

What do you think? Should I call up Triple A on Monday at about 5 am and
tell them I need a tow, and give the the address of my jobsite and then ride
in with the driver?

Hope you all have pleasant experiences, and I hope that my complaining to
Triple A and appropriate agencies will make your next experience
better!.....lou

Old December 17th 05, 11:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Like it or not everyone needs to read it, especially anyone near Syracuse.

--
(Remove the SPAM)
2002 WJ Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl Coat

Old December 17th 05, 11:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Jeez. what a bunch of morons.

My advice, write a letter to the president of AAA New York. Don't bother
with customer service departments, write directly to the top dog. You'd be
surprised sometimes how fast they are to rectify a problem like this. Be
factual, professional and non-emotional in your letter. Good luck, and post
what happens!

Old December 18th 05, 05:52 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

sorry that happend sh*t its time for bed im a sloooow reader that was
looong.. hope all turns out well and PHUK AAA

Old December 18th 05, 09:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

I have had better luck not having a service like AAA, and calling a wrecker
the few times I have needed one. Usually, you can get the cops or a local
service station to recommend a good one.

Earle

. ..

Old December 18th 05, 06:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Send a copy of your complaint to the local BBB too.

That really sucks. Never ever had service like that - granted I have never had AAA
either!

Suggestion for the future. Find a good small towing company near where the garage
you like is.

Old December 18th 05, 07:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Better yet, ask the garage what hook they recommend.

Old December 18th 05, 08:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

I've had good experiences with AAA, but that doesn't mean that there
aren't badly managed offices out there, which seems to me the case here.
I've had to be towed twice -- one was a holiday weekend 60 mile tow to
my house that would have cost a bushel of money retail (the only
available hook came from 40 miles farther out). And AAA got back my
room rate on a motel room I booked through them (I worked two
back-to-back overnighters out of town and needed the room to sleep
during the day between them. The motel woke me up at 11am and had me
change rooms.) To be sure, it's an insurance policy -- if I don't need
it it costs me money. But it seemed worth the cost when I was broken
down on a highway running through a crack neighborhood 60 miles from
home and I had to make only one phone call.

Old December 18th 05, 09:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

I will never again give AAA any of my hear earned money.

Back in 1996, my vehicle died. I called AAA of Central Massachusetts at 8:30
in the morning. They told me that they were closed, and call back at 9:00.

I called back at 9:00 and told them my problem. They would send a truck 'as
soon as they could'. I gave them my work number, and hitched a ride to work.

I spent the next three days trying to find my Jeep. They had it towed to a
body shop!

Now it's Friday afternoon. The body shop wants three days storage, and wants
another $75 to tow it to a repair station. I said I had AAA but they said I
didn't have time to call, as they were closing for the weekend, and would
charge me another $75 to store it for the weekend.

I'm still waiting for my $150 from AAA.

Old December 18th 05, 11:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

It appears to depend on the region. I had been a member for over two
decades, then a dealer-caused problem on a new car caused 4 tows in a
two month period and they cancelled me. The dealer even went so far as
to send them a letter on the dealer letterhead with reimbursement, but
that particular regional chapter wouldn't relent.

The local region claims that the Cornhusker version was way off base
since the dealer took full responsibility and repaid all claims.

Lee Ayrton proclaimed: