A Cars forum. AutoBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AutoBanter forum » Auto makers » Saturn
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

2002 SL2 Temp Gauge Failure



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old June 3rd 05, 10:48 PM
Orin Day
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default 2002 SL2 Temp Gauge Failure

Yesterday night I was driving my 2002 SL2 (35K miles, just out of
warranty) home and noticed the temp gauge pegged in the red. Yikes!!!
The fan was running and the engine was running smoothly, so I figured
thermostat, I was almost home anyway...

I let it cool off overnight, in the morning the coolant level was right
where it should be, no sign of leaks or overflow, and plenty of coolant
in the lower hose.

Started the motor, and cold it immediately jumped to 3/4 temp, then as the
motor warmed up it crept into the red.

Called the oh-so-helpful Saturn dealer (who had already replaced the BCM
and engine coolant temperature sensor this year) - they couldn't look at
it for several days, so I took it to a local shop.

Local shop thought it was a sensor associated with the gauge, they ordered
one. Went to pick it up this afternoon, they said all the sensors were
fine, that the temp was right around 190, the BCM was sending 190, but the
gauge refused to read the right temp. As the instrument cluster is a
single board, their diagnosis was that the gauge was bad on the cluster.
And that only the dealer could provide a new cluster, probably for about
$1.2K. Yikes!!! The rest of the instrument panel was tested and is fine.

Needless to say I was not happy, even less happy was my wife (who drives a
just-out-of-warranty 2001 LW300 when it's not in the shop).

Called the dealer, no help there, they said that they'd never seen a gauge
fail, but they'd be glad to rediagnose it for another $100 or so before
replacing the cluster for $500 plus labor plus tax. No help offered,
despite the low mileage.

So I'm weighing my options. Even if I liked the dealer, they wouldn't be
getting a grand from me for a gauge!

Used clusters seem to be not much, at least from what I see on eBay, so
next stop may be my local junkyard. Failing that, perhaps a stand-alone
gauge?

OD




--
Orin Day | Women's Basketball Photos at http://www.dwhoops.com
lobster @ |
lobsterdevil | no quote today
.com |
Ads
  #2  
Old June 6th 05, 06:41 PM
Steve
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

"Orin Day" > wrote in message
...
> Yesterday night I was driving my 2002 SL2 (35K miles, just out of
> warranty) home and noticed the temp gauge pegged in the red. Yikes!!!
> The fan was running and the engine was running smoothly, so I figured
> thermostat, I was almost home anyway...
>

<snip>
> Local shop thought it was a sensor associated with the gauge, they ordered
> one. Went to pick it up this afternoon, they said all the sensors were
> fine, that the temp was right around 190, the BCM was sending 190, but the
> gauge refused to read the right temp. As the instrument cluster is a
> single board, their diagnosis was that the gauge was bad on the cluster.
> And that only the dealer could provide a new cluster, probably for about
> $1.2K. Yikes!!! The rest of the instrument panel was tested and is fine.
>
> Needless to say I was not happy, even less happy was my wife (who drives a
> just-out-of-warranty 2001 LW300 when it's not in the shop).
>
> Called the dealer, no help there, they said that they'd never seen a gauge
> fail, but they'd be glad to rediagnose it for another $100 or so before
> replacing the cluster for $500 plus labor plus tax. No help offered,
> despite the low mileage.
>
> So I'm weighing my options. Even if I liked the dealer, they wouldn't be
> getting a grand from me for a gauge!
>
> Used clusters seem to be not much, at least from what I see on eBay, so
> next stop may be my local junkyard. Failing that, perhaps a stand-alone
> gauge?
>
> OD


You might want to give Saturn Customer Service a call (the number should be
in your owner's manual or you should be able to get it from the dealership).
If you're a regular customer of the dealer's service department, as, the
manager or service rep to put in a good word for you with Saturn Customer
Service.


  #3  
Old July 3rd 05, 02:50 PM
Fred
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I got sick of waiting for the computer to turn on the fan on
my '94 sc2. It waits too long. I got a thermostat
switch from jc whitney that is adjustable and clamps on the
radiator. I set it to turn on the fan at a little over halfway
on the temp gauge. Now the engine is much happier, and I have
backup!

Fred

"Orin Day" > wrote in message
...
> Yesterday night I was driving my 2002 SL2 (35K miles, just out of
> warranty) home and noticed the temp gauge pegged in the red. Yikes!!!
> The fan was running and the engine was running smoothly, so I figured
> thermostat, I was almost home anyway...
>
> I let it cool off overnight, in the morning the coolant level was right
> where it should be, no sign of leaks or overflow, and plenty of coolant
> in the lower hose.
>
> Started the motor, and cold it immediately jumped to 3/4 temp, then as the
> motor warmed up it crept into the red.
>
> Called the oh-so-helpful Saturn dealer (who had already replaced the BCM
> and engine coolant temperature sensor this year) - they couldn't look at
> it for several days, so I took it to a local shop.
>
> Local shop thought it was a sensor associated with the gauge, they ordered
> one. Went to pick it up this afternoon, they said all the sensors were
> fine, that the temp was right around 190, the BCM was sending 190, but the
> gauge refused to read the right temp. As the instrument cluster is a
> single board, their diagnosis was that the gauge was bad on the cluster.
> And that only the dealer could provide a new cluster, probably for about
> $1.2K. Yikes!!! The rest of the instrument panel was tested and is fine.
>
> Needless to say I was not happy, even less happy was my wife (who drives a
> just-out-of-warranty 2001 LW300 when it's not in the shop).
>
> Called the dealer, no help there, they said that they'd never seen a gauge
> fail, but they'd be glad to rediagnose it for another $100 or so before
> replacing the cluster for $500 plus labor plus tax. No help offered,
> despite the low mileage.
>
> So I'm weighing my options. Even if I liked the dealer, they wouldn't be
> getting a grand from me for a gauge!
>
> Used clusters seem to be not much, at least from what I see on eBay, so
> next stop may be my local junkyard. Failing that, perhaps a stand-alone
> gauge?
>
> OD
>
>
>
>
> --
> Orin Day | Women's Basketball Photos at http://www.dwhoops.com
> lobster @ |
> lobsterdevil | no quote today
> .com |



  #4  
Old July 5th 05, 03:53 AM
Oppie
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Let me know how that works for you.
You still have the original spec thermostat, right? Don't want the engine to
run too cool as the coolant temperature sensor will enrich the fuel mixture
and disable some of the functions that are off during warm-up like EGR.

My son just installed an electric fan on a '67 mustang and used the same
switch. Nice operation but I recommend putting a sleeve over the skinny
sensing line to protect it from abrasion. Also put some RTV or caulk around
the sensing bulb that is stuffed into the radiator fin. Will keep it from
vibrating and wearing a hole in the core tube.

"Fred" > wrote in message
...
> I got sick of waiting for the computer to turn on the fan on
> my '94 sc2. It waits too long. I got a thermostat
> switch from jc whitney that is adjustable and clamps on the
> radiator. I set it to turn on the fan at a little over halfway
> on the temp gauge. Now the engine is much happier, and I have
> backup!
>
> Fred



 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Forza Car List Rob Berryhill Simulators 19 May 7th 05 11:37 PM
98' Jetta fuel quantity gauge and coolant temp gauge problem. Paynter7378 VW water cooled 1 March 7th 05 01:59 PM
2002 SL1 Temp Sensor? B Powers Saturn 0 October 24th 04 09:41 PM
Temp Gauge Pat Mazda 3 September 23rd 04 02:02 PM
Audi 100 quattro temp gauge probs Paul Wickham Audi 1 May 31st 04 04:39 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2020 AutoBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.