2005 Mustang... jeez

Old November 7th 04, 05:09 PM
Dan

Default 2005 Mustang... jeez

"JS" > wrote in message news:YVkjd.2200$Zl2.2097@trndny01...

> "Scott en Aztlán" > wrote in message
>> On 5 Nov 2004 18:01:53 -0800, (Patrick) wrote:
>>
>>>If I was Ford, I'd redesign the gauges. I'd keep the chrome rings,
>>>but I'd flatten the speedo and tach (they're sort of barrel shaped),
>>>and I'd reposition and enlarge the other gauges. Overall, I'd give
>>>the current setup a score of 3 out of 10.

>> My '72 had those "barrel" gauges. And the overall line of the dash, as
>> well as the fonts used on the gauge faces, are straight out of a '68.
>> In short, if they redesigned the gauges, they'd no longer be retro.

> I'd like to see them make it a little less retro. Mankind has made it to
> the 21st century. While I love the older cars and would love to have a
> '67 FB, I think that sometimes by looking back, we avoid moving forward.
>
> I like the design of the car... classic elements with new. The dash seems
> out of place to me though. I'd actually keep the '94-04 dash in favor of
> it.

I agree. I hope SVT plans to replace the gauges completely. They are ugly
and almost useless as far as I'm concerned. This is retro taken too far.

--
Dan
2003 Cobra convertible

Old November 7th 04, 11:35 PM
GEB

JS wrote:

> I'd like to see them make it a little less retro. Mankind has made it to
> the 21st century. While I love the older cars and would love to have a '67
> FB, I think that sometimes by looking back, we avoid moving forward.
>
> I like the design of the car... classic elements with new. The dash seems
> out of place to me though. I'd actually keep the '94-04 dash in favor of
> it.
>
> JS

So how would you like them to make it look? Like a Camaro, Vette,
Toyota, or Honda??? What do you think a Mustang should look like? The
Mustang has a style of it's own, which has been copied by just about
every auto maker. Personally, from all the photos I've seen, I think
they did a great job of bringing back memories of a car that some us
that were fortunate to own back then. I've owned a 65 & a 66 FB in my
younger days, and loved both of them. I wish I still had them.

Gary
Old November 8th 04, 06:09 AM
p51d007

There are enough rice rockets out there. Ford did the people who BUY
mustangs a great service by NOT making them look like every other
foreign car out there on the market. If that is what you want, don't
buy a Mustang. Those of us who are Mustang fans, like the way the
Mustangs look. They ALMOST screwed it up in 89, when what became the
ford probe, was rumored to be the new mazdaTANG (it was built by
mazda). Front wheel drive is NOT a Mustang, not to mention a wedge
shape. Mustangs have long hoods, short rear decks, no back seat
room(LOL) on purpose. If you have to ask, then you wouldn't
understand.

Old November 8th 04, 02:10 PM
JS

I've owned about 15 or 16 Fox-based Mustangs (from '84 4-cyl autos to my '97
Cobra). I know what runs in the blood. I know they're RWD cars. (I also
owned an '89 Probe, and while a decent car and miles beyond the Fox in terms
of handling, nowhere near what a Mustang should be).

My point is that you can only retro so much, and you can reminisce to a
point, until you stop going forward and keep looking backward.

I think they did an excellent job with the exterior. It has hints of the
old cars, but with the aerodynamics and styling of a newer car. I didn't
care much for the old interiors, but I'd get over it because the car was
old. I think they should have gone with something a little different in the
interior section. Maybe I'll change my mind when I sit in one, but every
pic I've seen turned my stomach.

My other point on retro is, what's next? After this platform is gone, what
do we build? A modified Fox? A retro to the "retro" styled SN-95 cars?
Sometimes we have to look to the future...

As far as the "those of us who are Mustang fans" comment... I'm a huge fan,
but there are things I don't like about them, as they have plenty of
shortcomings.

JS

Old November 8th 04, 06:44 PM
Jim J

JS wrote:

> My other point on retro is, what's next? After this platform is gone, what
> do we build? A modified Fox? A retro to the "retro" styled SN-95 cars?
> Sometimes we have to look to the future...

Perhaps a faux "hot rod" styled loosely after the Model A. Oh, nevermind
.. . . the Prowler was already a failure.
--
Jim

Old November 9th 04, 01:49 AM
Patrick

p51d007 > wrote in message >. ..

> There are enough rice rockets out there. Ford did the people who BUY
> mustangs a great service by NOT making them look like every other
> foreign car out there on the market. If that is what you want, don't
> buy a Mustang. Those of us who are Mustang fans, like the way the
> Mustangs look. They ALMOST screwed it up in 89, when what became the
> ford probe, was rumored to be the new mazdaTANG (it was built by
> mazda). Front wheel drive is NOT a Mustang, not to mention a wedge
> shape. Mustangs have long hoods, short rear decks, no back seat
> room(LOL) on purpose. If you have to ask, then you wouldn't
> understand.

P51,

Retro is great, if it works. And the gauge package in the new Mustang
doesn't work...well, at least doesn't work very good. Ford would be
wise to improve it.

Patrick
'93 Cobra
'83 LTD

Old November 15th 04, 03:16 AM
John Smith

I test drove one yesterday and it was a GT and it had a five speed. It
rocked. The seats are finally designed properly and you fit in the car.
The steering was tight and crisp and the 300 horsepower was a blast.
The panhard bar on the rear end makes the car corner great and the 1000
watt sound system will blow you out of the car. I am waiting for the
convertible. Should be out early next year.