More speed estimation trolling

Old July 14th 12, 11:32 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Jim Yanik

Default More speed estimation trolling

Nate Nagel > wrote in
:

> On 07/14/2012 02:08 PM, Alan Baker wrote:
>> In article
>> >,
>> gpsman > wrote:

>>> You only say that because you've never heard the adage that driving
>>> less than 20 minutes doesn't heat the oil enough to boil off the
>>> condensation that accumulates when a hot engine cools, and you've
>>> never had a digital oil temperature gauge that displays 1°
>>> increments.

>> You do say the most ridiculous things. Where is there a place where
>> vapour can condense into the oil and why would it even be there if it
>> boils off when the engine reaches temp and you've just claimed that
>> it appears when a hot engine cools?

> Eh, it actually can happen, but when your oil temp is stabilized at
> 110-115C it's a fair bet that there's no condensed water in it. Or I
> guess now someone's going to say that VDO gauges as supplied to VW
> aren't even accurate to within 15C?
>
> nate

combustion creates water;you can see it coming out of the tailpipe.
that is why exhaust systems rusted from the inside out.

That is where the whitish "mayonnaise" you find in the valve covers comes
from; oil and water churned together.
along with acids from other combustion byproducts.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old July 15th 12, 12:08 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Alan Baker

In article >,
Ashton Crusher > wrote:

> On Sat, 14 Jul 2012 12:40:14 -0700, Alan Baker >
> wrote:
>
> >In article >,
> > Nate Nagel > wrote:

> >> Eh, it actually can happen, but when your oil temp is stabilized at
> >> 110-115C it's a fair bet that there's no condensed water in it. Or I
> >> guess now someone's going to say that VDO gauges as supplied to VW
> >> aren't even accurate to within 15C?
> >>
> >> nate

> >I'd still like to know how.
> >
> >If there's none when your oil temperature is stabilized at 110, so
> >you've driven it all out (assuming it's there)...
> >
> >...and then you continue to drive (keeping your engine at operating
> >temp)...
> >
> >...and thus keeping out any water vapour...
> >
> >...then you shut down the engine and it cools...
> >
> >...with no water vapour in it...
> >
> >...so where does the water come from to condense into the oil?

> I thought the presumption was that as it cooled and the vapor inside
> the engine contracted it would draw in the outside air and moisture.
> Even if true, however, it would be a very small amount. I think most
> of the "water" that gets into the oil gets there during engine warm up
> when there is some water being produced as a byproduct of the
> combustion process... most of it goes out the exhaust but I would
> think some of it is in the little bit of blowby past the piston rings.

Yup.

I'll buy that moisture can build up in an engine that makes a lot of
short trips...

....but GPSman's idiotic contention what that a vehicle that cools from
having been run at normal operating temperatures is in danger of having
significant amounts of condensed water in it the next time it's run.

Water doesn't accumulate when a hot engine cools. Water accumulates when
an engine which isn't hot is such down and the blow-by from operating it
for only a short while doesn't get boiled out during that cycle.

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia
Old July 15th 12, 12:09 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Alan Baker

In article >,
Nate Nagel > wrote:

> On 07/14/2012 04:14 PM, Ashton Crusher wrote:
> > On Sat, 14 Jul 2012 12:40:14 -0700, Alan Baker >
> > wrote:

> >> I'd still like to know how.
> >>
> >> If there's none when your oil temperature is stabilized at 110, so
> >> you've driven it all out (assuming it's there)...
> >>
> >> ...and then you continue to drive (keeping your engine at operating
> >> temp)...
> >>
> >> ...and thus keeping out any water vapour...
> >>
> >> ...then you shut down the engine and it cools...
> >>
> >> ...with no water vapour in it...
> >>
> >> ...so where does the water come from to condense into the oil?

> > I thought the presumption was that as it cooled and the vapor inside
> > the engine contracted it would draw in the outside air and moisture.
> > Even if true, however, it would be a very small amount. I think most
> > of the "water" that gets into the oil gets there during engine warm up
> > when there is some water being produced as a byproduct of the
> > combustion process... most of it goes out the exhaust but I would
> > think some of it is in the little bit of blowby past the piston rings.
> >

> Blowby will by its nature contain steam which will condense as it cools.
> However in an engine with a properly functioning crankcase ventilation
> system, the amount of steam in the engine at any given time will be very
> small as it is constantly having fresh air drawn through it. There will
> be some there all the time, however.

Yup.

But it can only build up if you run the engine for short periods, so
that blow-by adds moisture and the engine never gets up to the
temperatures necessary to eliminate most of it.

Old July 15th 12, 05:05 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Harry K

On Jul 14, 1:09*pm, Ashton Crusher > wrote:
> [...]

> >> drove at an average speed of 57 mph on an open road segment compared
> >> to an average speed of 53 mph on another tree-lined segment of the
> >> same road.

> >As has been said over and over:

> >Maintaining a speed is not the same task as estimating a speed. As can
> >clearly be shown by the inability of drivers to accurately double or
> >halve a known speed, the Shinar, McDowell, Rockwell study must have had
> >drivers maintaining a speed from a given know speed.

> >" The ability of drivers to estimate speed without the use of a
> >speedometer has been investigated in a number of studies. *Denton [1966]
> >instructed drivers of cars with obscured speedometers to double or halve
> >an initial speed of magnitude, unknown to the subject, set by following
> >experimenter instructions. *The subjects' attempts to decelerate or
> >accelerate to halve or double these speeds were biased by large amounts
> >in the direction of the initial speed. *For example, the goal of
> >doubling an initial speed of 30 mph produced an average speed of 44 mph,
> >rather than the nominally correct 60 mph. *The goal of halving 60 mph
> >produced, on average, 38 mph. "

> >If estimating speed were as easy as you suggest below, then the drivers
> >should have been able to consistently get within 5kph on average.

> >> Milosevic [1986] and Evans [1970a] asked subjects to estimate speed
> >> without specifying where they should look, and find that subjects
> >> estimated normal driving speeds without large average systematic
> >> errors; errors averaged over all subjects tested are typically less
> >> than 5 km/h.

> If by "drivers estimated normal driving speeds" means they were set
> out on a road that would typically be posted for 50 mph and then asked
> to do 50 mph it's not surprising that they ran about 50 mph. *Study's
> consistently show that left to their own devices drivers typically
> drive a safe "normal" speed for a road (absent hidden conditions that
> would merit slower speeds such as concealed driveways).
>
> The fact is (IOW IMHO based on my experience) 90%+ of drivers have no
> need for posted speed limits and the only reason 90%+ of limits are
> imposed is to facilitate the collection of revenue by gvt.
>

> >So three times more than what you claim, and we don't even know for
> >certain that the findings were accurate or whether the methods of the
> >study were sufficiently well constructed to draw the conclusion you want
> >to draw.

> >> Noguchi [1990] instructed subjects to drive at their chosen speeds on
> >> closed roads; when the speedometer was concealed, speeds were
> >> consistently higher (in all of 14 comparisons) than when the
> >> speedometer was visible, with the overall average difference being 3
> >> km/h.
> >>http://www.scienceservingsociety.com/tsd/CH05.htm

> >That study quite obviously involved driving the same road twice. That
> >too, is not the same as simply estimating a speed from scratch.

Most roads are underposted, i.e., they can be safely driven much
faster than the posted. In fact the "flow" will usually be at least
10% higher than posted.

Harry K
Old July 16th 12, 05:12 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Tom $herman (-_-)

On 7/12/2012 10:41 PM, Harry K wrote:

> Don't forget that you are talking to the superman of driving. He can
> do things undreamt of by mere mortals.

I can get very close to a given speed on my Honda NT700V without looking
at the speedometer, since I know it does about 14½ mph/1000 rpm in 5th
gear.

--
Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731°N, 83.985007°W
Post Free or Die!

Old July 16th 12, 05:21 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Tom $herman (-_-)

On 7/13/2012 7:31 AM, N8N wrote:
> On Jul 12, 10:11 pm, gpsman > wrote:
>> Of the various quantities a driver is called upon to judge, speed is
>> the only one for which instrumented quantitative feedback is provided
>> on a regular basis.

> Laughable. I can see oil pressure, water temperature, fuel level, and
> engine RPM easily, and of those, really only engine RPM is even easily
> estimable without a gauge. Depending on vehicle I might also be
> seeing engine vacuum, oil temperature, and/or ATF temperature. With a
> little effort I can also see things like intake air temperature,
> throttle opening, A/F ratio, etc.

Dude, you need a Yamaha TW200!

<http://parrotheadjeff.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/DSCF0491C-640x387.jpg>

Old July 16th 12, 05:36 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Tom $herman (-_-)

On 7/13/2012 11:54 AM, gpsman wrote:
> [...]
> You don't have the patience to lift off the throttle for a second for
> an "impaired merger", no way you're going to wait 10-20 minutes for
> your engine to reach operating temp.

What engine takes 10 to 20 minutes to reach operating temperature? A
marine Diesel on a container ship?

My CBR600F4i gets up to full operating temperature in the time it takes
to put on my gloves and lid, then ride the 5 blocks to the arterial
street at 3000 rpm in 1st gear. Of course, that is a crappy engine that
only develops 180 HP/L (SAE net). The NT700V, NHX110 and Civic EX
have similar warm-up times.

The Nissan Frontier with its 3.3L V-6 does take a bit longer - typically
3 to 4 minutes in summer, and 5 to 6 in winter.

Old July 16th 12, 05:52 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.flame.raccoons
Tom $herman (-_-)

On 7/14/2012 2:40 PM, Alan Baker wrote:

> I'd still like to know how.
>
> If there's none when your oil temperature is stabilized at 110, so
> you've driven it all out (assuming it's there)...
>
> ...and then you continue to drive (keeping your engine at operating
> temp)...
>
> ...and thus keeping out any water vapour...
>
> ...then you shut down the engine and it cools...
>
> ...with no water vapour in it...
>
> ...so where does the water come from to condense into the oil?

Raccoons taking off the oil filler cap and peeing in the filler tube
when your car is parked at night.