Brake line rerouting?

Old February 13th 06, 03:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Default Brake line rerouting?

Hi all

Being snowed in, having too much time on my hand so am thinking this:

Yesterday I took a section of the bottom of my tunnel off (the frame
head bottom plate) and was wondering if it is advisable to re-route the
brake line through the tunnel instead. It would be easy to do right
now.

It just seems that one can step on the brake line, it normally being so
close to the pedal cluster and putting the line in the tunnel would
obviously alleviate that problem - if it is indeed a problem or is that
not necessary?

Thanks!
Remco

Old February 13th 06, 04:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

"Remco" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> It just seems that one can step on the brake line, it normally being so
> close to the pedal cluster and putting the line in the tunnel would
> obviously alleviate that problem - if it is indeed a problem or is that
> not necessary?

Not necessary. When I built my kit-car, I found the project with the
greatest yield to advantage was rerouting the gas line.

Old February 13th 06, 06:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Done wrote:
> "Remco" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>
> > It just seems that one can step on the brake line, it normally being so
> > close to the pedal cluster and putting the line in the tunnel would
> > obviously alleviate that problem - if it is indeed a problem or is that
> > not necessary?

> Not necessary. When I built my kit-car, I found the project with the
> greatest yield to advantage was rerouting the gas line.

Really? I replaced my fuel line, but it is still in the tunnel. How did
you reroute it?

Old February 14th 06, 12:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

"Remco" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Really? I replaced my fuel line, but it is still in the tunnel. How did
> you reroute it?

I ran 3/8" malleable aluminum fuel line from the electric pump under the gas
tank to the right wheelwell (with filter) through the inside of the lip on
the passenger side under the pan, held in place by aluminum clips. Wrapped
around the malleable aluminum fuel line is a split fuel line for protection.
On top of that I added aluminum guards where it seemed vulnerable - wretched
excess, but what the heck, why not?

You might have to see it to appreciate.

Bring lots of money. Drive it away.

Old February 14th 06, 02:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

ELSAN wrote:
> "Remco" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>
> > Really? I replaced my fuel line, but it is still in the tunnel. How did
> > you reroute it?

> I ran 3/8" malleable aluminum fuel line from the electric pump under the gas
> tank to the right wheelwell (with filter) through the inside of the lip on
> the passenger side under the pan, held in place by aluminum clips. Wrapped
> around the malleable aluminum fuel line is a split fuel line for protection.
> On top of that I added aluminum guards where it seemed vulnerable - wretched
> excess, but what the heck, why not?

Sounds good!
When I replaced mine, I holesawed two 2" holes in the bottom of the
tunnel to gain access the fuel line's retaining clips, attached the new
line to the old one, pulled the old one out, pulling the new one in.
Since then, I've taken te bottom plate off the framehead off so that
would have made life easier for me - ohwell..