JETTA 2001 1.8T replacing dipstick holder

Old October 20th 05, 04:47 PM
JJ Braunius

Default JETTA 2001 1.8T replacing dipstick holder

Going to a moron mechanic for oil changes has its disadvantages. I
recently discovered that the guy that has been changing my oil has
broken the dipstick and dipstick holder (both plastic) by forcing them
hard against each other.
Well, first shame to VW for using a stupid soft plastic for that part
and 2nd - shame on the moron mechanic.

So now I have to replace both.

Has anyone had any experience in doing this?

Is it dangerous to run the car that way?

The problem lies where the two pieces meet - the dipstick holder is not
broken all the way down.
Old October 20th 05, 10:51 PM
Lost In Space

The only design issue I see is your present moron mechanic.

Old October 20th 05, 11:24 PM
René

Lost In Space > wrote:
> The only design issue I see is your present moron mechanic.

Best to replace all three.

Old October 21st 05, 03:32 AM
CS

"JJ Braunius" > wrote in message
> Going to a moron mechanic for oil changes has its disadvantages. I
> recently discovered that the guy that has been changing my oil has
> broken the dipstick and dipstick holder (both plastic) by forcing them
> hard against each other.
> Well, first shame to VW for using a stupid soft plastic for that part
> and 2nd - shame on the moron mechanic.
>
> So now I have to replace both.
>
> Has anyone had any experience in doing this?
>
> Is it dangerous to run the car that way?
>
> The problem lies where the two pieces meet - the dipstick holder is not
> broken all the way down.

It is not uncommon for the dipstick tube on a 1.8T to break. It is plastic
and subject to almost direct engine heat, which weakens it over time.

Here are some links that provide some tips on replacement:
http://www.passatworld.com/forums/sh...=dipstick+tube
http://www.passatworld.com/forums/sh...=dipstick+tube

Easy to do, just make sure plastic pieces do not fall down into metal tube.
Replacement about $5-8.

Old October 24th 05, 04:58 AM

thanks for the links.

Looks like I need to be replacing both parts - not just the dipstick
but the holder (tube) it goes down in. I guess it should be an easy job?