brake line rust

Old August 25th 12, 02:27 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
George[_23_]

Default brake line rust

I was under our car ('04 Cavalier) recently, and noticed that the brake
lines are starting to rust. So far, it looks to be just on the surface,
but it will get worse.

Is there anything practical to do, to prevent further deterioration?

Thanks,
George
Old August 25th 12, 03:46 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
m6onz5a

On Aug 25, 9:27*am, George > wrote:
> I was under our car ('04 Cavalier) recently, and noticed that the brake
> lines are starting to rust. *So far, it looks to be just on the surface,
> but it will get worse.
>
> Is there anything practical to do, to prevent further deterioration?
>
> Thanks,
> George

todays cars brake lines don't last. if it's surface rust lightly sand
the rust off. They have rust preventive sprays, but the lines can
still rust from the inside out if moisture is in your system. for
replacement lines we sell a coated brake line that is supposed to
prevent rust, but I've heard mixed reviews on these coated lines.
Old August 25th 12, 03:50 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

If it's just surface, it will take years to go through completely. Unless you want to sand them, you can just take some Rust-Oleum and coat them good. That will greatly lengthen their life. The other is, keep an eye on them and replace when needed.
Old August 25th 12, 03:50 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
JR[_8_]

The only best way to handle that is to replace the brake lines with new ones. Back in the late 1970s I bought a 1954 Ford truck. One morning when I started that truck up and I mashed the brake pedal, the pedal went all the way to the floor. The right rear side brake line had rusted out. Don't take chances with your brakes.

Old August 25th 12, 05:24 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
m6onz5a

On Aug 25, 10:50*am, JR > wrote:
> The only best way to handle that is to replace the brake lines with new ones. Back in the late 1970s I bought a 1954 Ford truck. One morning when I started that truck up and I mashed the brake pedal, the pedal went all the way to the floor. The right rear side brake line had rusted out. Don't take chances with your brakes.

See? that brake line lasted over 20 years.. We get people coming in
today with cars 5-10 years old with rusted brake lines now.

I think my Corvair went about 30 years before a brake line went.

Nowadays they purposely make them last a certain amount so you'll
have to purchase more in the future. Just like everything else I
guess.
Old August 26th 12, 12:12 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Vic Smith

On Sat, 25 Aug 2012 09:27:21 -0400, George >
wrote:

>I was under our car ('04 Cavalier) recently, and noticed that the brake
>lines are starting to rust. So far, it looks to be just on the surface,
>but it will get worse.
>
>Is there anything practical to do, to prevent further deterioration?
>
>Thanks,
>George

Depends on what you consider practical.
You hear about people applying protective coatings, and that makes
sense if you find maintaining that practical.
Here's my anecdotal experience from salt country with car I suspect
are similar in brake quality to yours.
'90 Corsica - rusted through rear brake line. 19-20 years old.
Replaced that line only, since I was about to junk it because of other
issues.

'97 Lumina - failed wheel cylinder seal - a month ago.
Replaced both rear cylinders, shoes and drums. Lines okay.

'93 Grand Am - rusted through rear line - last week.
Replaced that line only.

Here's my general rule. A rusty brake line (actual severe pitting) on
my highway cars gets replaced before a trip. Hasn't happened yet.
My highway cars just never get old enough.

For my local beaters, I only change a brake line when it fails.
It can look bad, but go for years, well beyond where you'll junk it
anyway. These cars have dual systems on diagonally opposed wheels,
so unless you're moving fast, you should be okay to get it home when a
single line fails. Won't be a comfortable ride though, for one main
reason that you should look into. Unless you keep on top of the drum
self adjusters, you'll be mostly or entirely braking with one front
caliper.
That's another subject, but I suggest you check your rear shoes/drums.
An easy way is just jack up the back, have somebody press the brakes
down hard, and see if you can turn the tire by hand.
You might be surprised.
This is assuming your '04 has self-adjusting drums and not tophat
discs. I don't know.

Old August 26th 12, 12:30 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
gregz

George > wrote:
> I was under our car ('04 Cavalier) recently, and noticed that the brake
> lines are starting to rust. So far, it looks to be just on the surface,
> but it will get worse.
>
> Is there anything practical to do, to prevent further deterioration?
>
> Thanks,
> George

Around pittsburgh, the lines typically start to leak at about 15 years.
Something should be done before that. I don't think rust converter would
hurt. Then some paint. Having news lines put on would be worth the
investment.

Greg
Old August 26th 12, 12:30 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
gregz

Old August 26th 12, 02:39 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_6_]

George wrote:
> I was under our car ('04 Cavalier) recently, and noticed that the brake
> lines are starting to rust. So far, it looks to be just on the surface,
> but it will get worse.
>
> Is there anything practical to do, to prevent further deterioration?
>
> Thanks,
> George

Well the BEST solution is new stainless lines, BUT since that is also a
PIA you could use a pressure washer to blow all
the crud and dirt off. Then use a sprayer to apply some rust converter
on the lines, soak them pretty well and let it dry,
Then apply some paint. A couple coats should slow the rusting down. I
would use rustoleum or POR type product.
For brushes you might need to get creative to get everywhere. Wouldn't
hurt to pressure wash the entire chassis and
paint all the steel with undercoat, treat any rust before coating or use
POR.

--
Steve W.
Old August 26th 12, 03:03 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

On 08/25/2012 09:39 PM, Steve W. wrote:
> George wrote:
>> I was under our car ('04 Cavalier) recently, and noticed that the brake
>> lines are starting to rust. So far, it looks to be just on the surface,
>> but it will get worse.
>> Is there anything practical to do, to prevent further deterioration?
>> Thanks,
>> George

> Well the BEST solution is new stainless lines, BUT since that is also a
> PIA you could use a pressure washer to blow all
> the crud and dirt off. Then use a sprayer to apply some rust converter
> on the lines, soak them pretty well and let it dry,
> Then apply some paint. A couple coats should slow the rusting down. I
> would use rustoleum or POR type product.
> For brushes you might need to get creative to get everywhere. Wouldn't
> hurt to pressure wash the entire chassis and
> paint all the steel with undercoat, treat any rust before coating or use
> POR.

^ what he said, if the brake lines are rusting there's more that's
rusting as well.

Even Krylon is better than nothing, though - and likely better than some
parts get from the factory (e.g. the diff covers on my Jeep didn't have
any paint on them when I got it while the axles themselves still had a
decent coating on them.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.