brake line woes

Old August 7th 09, 01:06 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
George[_23_]

Default brake line woes

I've done brake lines before, but not many, and not in a long time. I
have one particular in-line coupling that I can't get to stop leaking.
Other joints appear to be OK, though they could yet surprise me.

I've re-done this one several times. Currently, I have new line (with
manufactured flare) going into the coupling. AFAICT, it's properly
aligned - I could screw the nut in with my fingers. I started off with
only moderate torque, and then tightened further as it kept leaking.

BTW: why does brake line come with two different nuts (long and short)?

Thanks,
Old August 7th 09, 06:17 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_6_]

George wrote:
> I've done brake lines before, but not many, and not in a long time. I
> have one particular in-line coupling that I can't get to stop leaking.
> Other joints appear to be OK, though they could yet surprise me.
>
> I've re-done this one several times. Currently, I have new line (with
> manufactured flare) going into the coupling. AFAICT, it's properly
> aligned - I could screw the nut in with my fingers. I started off with
> only moderate torque, and then tightened further as it kept leaking.

Sounds like a bad flare or a defective seat in the coupler. Could also
be a chunk of crud in there.

> Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
>
> BTW: why does brake line come with two different nuts (long and short)?

Depends on the application. On some vehicles you need the longer nuts to
thread into a deep fitting. On others it is to allow you to get to the
hex due to obstructions.

> Thanks,

Steve W.
Old August 8th 09, 06:55 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
MasterBlaster

"George" wrote:

> I've done brake lines before, but not many, and not in a long time. I
> have one particular in-line coupling that I can't get to stop leaking.
> Other joints appear to be OK, though they could yet surprise me.
>
> I've re-done this one several times. Currently, I have new line (with
> manufactured flare) going into the coupling. AFAICT, it's properly
> aligned - I could screw the nut in with my fingers. I started off with
> only moderate torque, and then tightened further as it kept leaking.

We usually just loosen-tighten-loosen-tighten-loosen-tighten 5 or 6 times,
allowing the two parts of the fitting to "smoosh" closer to the same shape.
Kinda the same idea as "lapping" valves. Works with copper and
aluminum washered fittings too. Without exerting any extra force, you
should notice the wrenches turn a little more each time, at least for the
first few cycles.

Old August 8th 09, 09:43 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
CEG

Universal brake lines.

You can always purchase a short end, or long end for that matter and
just flare it onto the line.

Old August 8th 09, 08:30 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
George[_23_]

On Fri, 07 Aug 2009 13:17:58 -0400, "Steve W." >
wrote:

>George wrote:
>> I've done brake lines before, but not many, and not in a long time. I
>> have one particular in-line coupling that I can't get to stop leaking.
>> Other joints appear to be OK, though they could yet surprise me.
>>
>> I've re-done this one several times. Currently, I have new line (with
>> manufactured flare) going into the coupling. AFAICT, it's properly
>> aligned - I could screw the nut in with my fingers. I started off with
>> only moderate torque, and then tightened further as it kept leaking.

>Sounds like a bad flare or a defective seat in the coupler. Could also
>be a chunk of crud in there.

I suppose so - it has to be something. I guess I was hoping for some
kind of magic, "all you've got to do is ..." In the end, I just applied
a little more torque than I was comfortable with, and the leaking
appears to be stopped. At least for now.

72 Brake Line [email protected] VW air cooled 3 April 25th 07 03:10 AM
brake woes [email protected] Technology 5 September 20th 06 09:33 AM
63 Brake line question lib Corvette 2 November 9th 05 04:18 PM
Brake fluid leak from Brake line [email protected] Honda 0 May 16th 05 07:23 AM
'89 Jetta brake line Q... Darryl VW water cooled 1 April 2nd 05 02:03 AM