wheel bearings

Old May 10th 05, 10:39 AM
Haywood

Default wheel bearings

Does anyone know how difficult it is to replace front wheel bearings on a
2001 A4? I know they are pressed in, are they the same as the rear bearings?

TIA
Old May 10th 05, 10:47 AM
anon

you will need a press to get them out, and no they are different to the
rears, the rears are inner and outer taper bearings while the front are a
sealed single unit.
you will need to remove the complete hub unit, not reccomended if you A:
havent got the right tools, and B: havent done one before or are attempting
to do it on the ground without a ramp.
if you do have a go yourself i doubt you will get the old bearing case out
with at least a 10 tonne press.
regards.
Steve.

. net...

Old May 10th 05, 11:36 AM
Peter Bell

In message >
"anon" > wrote:

[Snip]

> if you do have a go yourself i doubt you will get the old bearing case out
> with at least a 10 tonne press.

.... or, indeed, the new one in?

Many years ago (circa 1979) I was replacing the diff on my old Ford, and
whilst I had the shafts out, I thought I might as well replace the
bearings. Realising that I didn't stand a chance of pressing the new
bearings onto the shafts, I took them along to the local Ford dealer.

When I reassembled everything, the diff was beautifully silent, but
there was a very uncomfortable vibration from the rear of the car. I
went back to the dealer who strenuously denied that the half shaft was
bent - until we jacked the car up and ran it with the wheels removed.
Then he claimed that I'd bent the shaft myself - until I pointed out
that I'd brought the shafts to him because I had no way of exerting such
force. In the end, he supplied me with a new half shaft! IIRC, he even
installed it for me.

Old May 11th 05, 07:29 PM
Art M

"anon" > wrote in message
> if you do have a go yourself i doubt you will get the old bearing case out
> with at least a 10 tonne press.
> regards.
> Steve.

I don't know how it is with an Audi, but I once took a Toyota axel to
PepBoys (auto parts store) to have the bearing removed and replaced and they
charged very little.

--Art

Old May 12th 05, 04:41 PM
anon

"Art M" > wrote in message

> "anon" > wrote in message
> > if you do have a go yourself i doubt you will get the old bearing case

out
> > with at least a 10 tonne press.
> > regards.
> > Steve.

> I don't know how it is with an Audi, but I once took a Toyota axel to
> PepBoys (auto parts store) to have the bearing removed and replaced and

they
> charged very little.
>
> --Art

they're not hard to get out, as long as you have a decent press, we use a 20
tonne fly press, much better than the hydraulic type, but without them your
wasting your time if you get a tight one.
steve.

Old May 13th 05, 12:56 PM
anon

"Haywood" > wrote in message
. net...
> In article >,
> says...
> >
> > "Art M" > wrote in message

case
> > out
> > >
> > > I don't know how it is with an Audi, but I once took a Toyota axel to
> > > PepBoys (auto parts store) to have the bearing removed and replaced

and
> > they
> > > charged very little.
> > >
> > > --Art

> > they're not hard to get out, as long as you have a decent press, we use

a 20
> > tonne fly press, much better than the hydraulic type, but without them

your
> > wasting your time if you get a tight one.
> > steve.
> >

> I assume they are different from the rears? I know that you can rent some
> tools to help extract the rear bearings while on the car. This won't work
> for the front? I was just wondering. I just had the two rears replaced,

and
> now I'm getting the hum from the right front. Maybe it's time to get a

new
> vehicle. What will go next?

yes the rears are totally different, you can remove these cases with a small
hammer and a chisell or a flat punch,
if only the fronts were as simple......
its easy to wonder what will go next, but bearings won't last forever, take
comfort in the fact that generally Audi's are pretty reliable and built to
last. as long as they are looked after, IE regularly serviced, theres no
reason why you couldnt expect 200,000 miles.
steve.

Old May 14th 05, 11:35 AM
Ronny

"anon" > wrote in message

> "Haywood" > wrote in message
> . net...
> > In article >,
> > says...
> > >
> > > "Art M" > wrote in message

> case
> > > out

> and
> > > they

> > > they're not hard to get out, as long as you have a decent press, we

use
> a 20
> > > tonne fly press, much better than the hydraulic type, but without them

> your
> > > wasting your time if you get a tight one.
> > > steve.
> > >

> > I assume they are different from the rears? I know that you can rent

some
> > tools to help extract the rear bearings while on the car. This won't

work
> > for the front? I was just wondering. I just had the two rears

replaced,
> and
> > now I'm getting the hum from the right front. Maybe it's time to get a

> new
> > vehicle. What will go next?

> yes the rears are totally different, you can remove these cases with a

small
> hammer and a chisell or a flat punch,
> if only the fronts were as simple......
> its easy to wonder what will go next, but bearings won't last forever,

take
> comfort in the fact that generally Audi's are pretty reliable and built to
> last. as long as they are looked after, IE regularly serviced, theres no
> reason why you couldnt expect 200,000 miles.
> steve.

Depends if he has quattro, the rears and the fronts are then almost the
same, and still a bitch to do, unless you have a decent press.

quattro models have sealed bearings all round, and both front and rear will
need pressing out.

Old May 16th 05, 12:30 PM
anon

"Ronny" > wrote in message

> "anon" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Haywood" > wrote in message
> > . net...
> > > In article >,
> > > says...

bearing
> > case

replaced
> > and

> use
> > a 20

them
> > your
> > > >
> > > I assume they are different from the rears? I know that you can rent

> some
> > > tools to help extract the rear bearings while on the car. This won't

> work
> > > for the front? I was just wondering. I just had the two rears

> replaced,
> > and
> > > now I'm getting the hum from the right front. Maybe it's time to get

> > new
> > > vehicle. What will go next?

> > yes the rears are totally different, you can remove these cases with a

> small
> > hammer and a chisell or a flat punch,
> > if only the fronts were as simple......
> > its easy to wonder what will go next, but bearings won't last forever,

> take
> > comfort in the fact that generally Audi's are pretty reliable and built

> > last. as long as they are looked after, IE regularly serviced, theres no
> > reason why you couldnt expect 200,000 miles.
> > steve.
> >

> Depends if he has quattro, the rears and the fronts are then almost the
> same, and still a bitch to do, unless you have a decent press.
>
> quattro models have sealed bearings all round, and both front and rear

will
> need pressing out.

This is true, but only since it has 4 wheel drive. any wheel bearing which
surrounds a driven axle is going to be a lot harder that a freewheeling axle
since it surrounds a driveshaft.
Steve.

S series front wheel bearings private Saturn 2 April 3rd 05 09:15 PM
rear wheel bearings bothrops Saturn 6 March 28th 05 06:27 PM
'90 Plymouth Grand Voyager - front wheel bearings John Keith Chrysler 4 February 14th 05 02:14 AM
Geo Metro R wheel bearings keep failing JOHN D Technology 7 February 2nd 05 12:17 AM
A4 - Front Wheel Bearings ? Graeme Audi 1 July 15th 04 12:47 PM