Total Appeal

Old February 16th 09, 06:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
auto parts view

Default Total Appeal

On the road now for quite some time, the 300C can still grab anyone’s
attention. The exterior styling has a macho presence that you have to
subjugate yourself before by driving an SUV or an 18-wheeler truck to
achieve. Unscientifically, some polls has indicated that most men
love the looks, the 300C can be comfortable as boulevard cruiser, but
equally as poised when the blacktop turns into a tight curve. One of
the first clues to this dual personality lies in the fact that the
300C is a rear-wheel drive sedan. Built on a DaimlerChrysler inspired
platform, the front engine-rear drive sedan shouts performance with
each press of the accelerator. Armed with a capable 3.5 liter V6
engine which pumps out 250 horsepower, it is then mated to a smooth
shifting, 5-speed automatic transmission with Chrysler’s AutoStick
that truly adds new meaning to the words “road trip”. To balance the
styling demeanor of the attention-grabbing exterior, the 300C’s two-
tone interior is very straight forward. Fit and finish is spot-on for
the price, and comparable to others in its class. As is the case with
most DaimlerChrysler vehicles, storage spaces abound. Cupholders and
compartments are more than capable of handling most everyday items,
and for those times when only a trunk will suffice, the 300C provides
with 15.6 cubic feet of storage. Like another paradigm-shifting
consumer product, the Apple iPod, the 300C stands out in a field of me-
too competitors as it has that certain “gotta have it” appeal.

Old February 17th 09, 12:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
MoPar Man

Default What a load of horse **** (was: Total Appeal)

auto parts view spewed:

> On the road now for quite some time, the 300C can still grab anyone’s
> attention.

Yes, I still get that queezy, nauseated feeling every time I see one.

Then I get that angry feeling towards those germans at Daimler for
****ing around and destroying Chrysler, and for killing the 300n Hemi
concept back in 2000 because I'd have one of those in my driveway by
now, instead of a 9 year old 300m.

> Like another paradigm-shifting consumer product, the Apple iPod,
> the 300C stands out in a field of me-too competitors as it has that
> certain “gotta have it” appeal.

And what the **** are you doing posting this **** from the Philippines?
You even got any Chrysler vehicles there?

Has Chrysler stooped to this - spammy product placement on usenet?
Old February 17th 09, 07:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Dori A Schmetterling[_3_]

I am not sure there is a need for this xenophobic abuse. Even if it were
'product placement' Chrysler is the only company of the Detroit Three that
exports from North America in any quantity, probably because it does not
manufacture outside

As you know, GM and Ford have many plants around the world.

DAS

---
[...]

Old February 18th 09, 01:50 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
MoPar Man

Dori A Schmetterling wrote:

> I am not sure there is a need for this xenophobic abuse.

I've stated my "criticism" of german Daimler management of Chrysler many
times here in the past, and I stand by it.

> Even if it were 'product placement' Chrysler is the only company of
> the Detroit Three that exports from North America in any quantity,
> probably because it does not manufacture outside

Chrysler's exports are a pittance. It's their achilles heel. Saying
that they export more than GM or Ford really isin't saying much.
There's too much protectionism and trade inequities in the global car
market, particularly with Japan and Korea.

Again, I fault Daimler for doing seemingly nothing to sell Chrysler
vehicles in Europe when they had the chance.

> As you know, GM and Ford have many plants around the world.

That looks like it will soon change. GM will be selling Saab, and also
possibly Opel and Vauxhall.

I still want to know the reason (who, why) for the first post in this
thread.
Old February 18th 09, 01:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Dori A Schmetterling[_3_]

Legitimate criticism is, well, legitimate, but your indulgence in xenophobia
is uncalled for. I think your problem is that the management was not
American.

You seem to have little idea of what Chrysler was selling and what the
efforts were. There are dealerships, in Europe!

Or do you have figures?

DAS

---
[...]

Old February 18th 09, 02:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
MoPar Man

Dori A Schmetterling wrote:

> I think your problem is that the management was not American.

The fact that management was not American was actually Chrysler's
problem, and they are still living with the consequences.

> You seem to have little idea of what Chrysler was selling and what
> the efforts were. There are dealerships, in Europe!
>
> Or do you have figures?

--------------------------
Spurred by demand for new Chrysler, Jeep and Dodge products, Chrysler
achieved record sales outside North America in 2007, outselling any
previous year in the Company's history.

The highest volume markets outside North America we Italy (21,361
units); Venezuela (19,459 units); and the United Kingdom (18,623 units).

Year-to-date sales increased 15 percent to 238,218 units from 2006
results of 206,925 units.
-------------------------

If Chrysler sold 238k vehicles outside of north america in 2007, then
where the hell were these vehicles sold?

Top 3 foreign countries add up to about 60k units, meaning 180k units
were sold in other countries, at a rate of under 18k per country. Those
are not huge numbers on a per-country basis. Where is western Europe or
Asia in these numbers? How many Chrysler vehicles were sold in Germany
in 2007? Why did Italy buy more Chrysler vehicles than Germany in 2007?

------------------------
Tue Apr 8, 2008

http://www.reuters.com/article/press...08+PRN20080408

European sales, which account for slightly more than half of Chrysler's
sales outside North America, increased four percent in the first quarter
2008. Italy is the highest volume market for Chrysler outside of North
America in 2008, with sales up 15 percent year-to-date to 6,170 units.
The U.K. market had its best first quarter Chrysler sales ever (5,609
units), an increase of
10 percent, and outsold all other markets during the month of March.
Russia is the company's highest-growth European market with sales up 94
percent year-to-date to 2,139 units, establishing a record in the market
for the best quarter ever.

In Asian markets, Chrysler's China sales more than doubled during
the first quarter of 2008 (4,839 units), the greatest percent increase
of any volume market in the world for the Company. The market nearly
quadrupled sales for the month (2,652 units) compared to March 2007.
Much of this growth can be attributed to incremental sales of the
locally-built Chrysler Sebring, which was launched last month and sold
over 1,000 units -- accounting for 22 percent of the market's first
quarter sales.

Jeep(R) and Dodge brand sales increased significantly through the
first quarter, with Jeep sales up 11 percent (22,699 units), and Dodge
sales up 46 percent (17,371 units). Chrysler brand sales decreased 15
percent (17,276 units), while sales of the new Chrysler Sebring Sedan
and Cabrio vehicles grew exponentially compared to the previous model.
For the first three months of this year, sales for the Chrysler Sebring
(nearly 3,000 units) increased four and half times the sales volume
reached by the previous model. The top selling model for Chrysler
outside North America in the first quarter is the fuel-efficient,
C-segment vehicle -- Dodge Caliber.
-------------------------

These are small numbers.

Does anyone know what the european sales numbers were for the 300m,
300/300c, Pacifica, PT Cruiser, Magnum and Charger during the years 2000
to present?
Old February 18th 09, 02:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
MoPar Man

MoPar Man wrote:

> The highest volume markets outside North America we Italy (21,361
> units); Venezuela (19,459 units); and the United Kingdom
> (18,623 units).

This explains the plans for some sort of collaboration between Chrysler
and Fiat.

Does anyone know exactly what Chrysler is getting out of such a deal?
They're giving Fiat a piece of Chrysler, in return for exactly - what?
Old February 18th 09, 04:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Lloyd[_2_]

On Feb 18, 9:31*am, MoPar Man > wrote:
> MoPar Man wrote:
> > The highest volume markets outside North America we Italy (21,361
> > units); Venezuela (19,459 units); and the United Kingdom
> > (18,623 units).

Chrysler sold 8% of its cars outside North America, with 4% in western
Europe.

> This explains the plans for some sort of collaboration between Chrysler
> and Fiat.
>
> Does anyone know exactly what Chrysler is getting out of such a deal?
> They're giving Fiat a piece of Chrysler, in return for exactly *- what?

Access to Fiat's small car platforms (and presumably engines too,
especially small diesel engines). Chrysler has nothing competitive
with cars like Golf, Civic, etc.
Old February 19th 09, 01:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
MoPar Man

Lloyd wrote:

> > Does anyone know exactly what Chrysler is getting out of such a
> > deal? They're giving Fiat a piece of Chrysler, in return for
> > exactly - what?

> Access to Fiat's small car platforms (and presumably engines too,
> especially small diesel engines). Chrysler has nothing competitive
> with cars like Golf, Civic, etc.

The future of small cars in USA / Canada is not diesel.

The future for a lot of Americans and Canadians probably is small cars,
but those cars don't have to be diesel, and many people probably
wouldn't choose diesel over gasoline.

Why?

Because when diesel costs quite a bit more than gasoline, because when
there have already been shortages of diesel fuel in several markets this
past year, because when many gas stations don't even sell diesel fuel,
that's why people are not and will not be fond of diesel.
Old February 19th 09, 05:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Josh S

> > Like another paradigm-shifting consumer product, the Apple iPod,
> > the 300C stands out in a field of me-too competitors as it has that
> > certain “gotta have it” appeal.

Oh sure. It's one ugly car.
When I told my brother in law I got a lovely 300M, he confused it with
the 300 and said "how could you buy that thing I can't stand to look at".
Actually he was misled by a dumb web site that showed a 300 as a 300M.

One day a 300C parked beside my oldie '95 Concorde.
One guess which one looked MUCH nicer.