Lifetime exhaust warranty ?

Old February 3rd 05, 12:36 PM
DriveSpy

Default Lifetime exhaust warranty ?

Someone in another thread was saying VW's have lifetime exhaust system
warranty, and I believe they were talking about an older car. 92 perhaps. Now
I'm not sure if this concerns the car as originally built or if it is a
warranty on exhaust system work performed at a VW dealer. My warranty book
says nothing about this. Reason I ask is my 94 Jetta original exhaust is in
need of replacement, virtually from the cat back. All I want is OEM type
exhaust and am looking at about $400 for the job at Meinke (sp?), who I'm not
too certain about to begin with.
Related question. What is the purpose of that mid-section muffler on a 2.0.
The big flat one. Is it a resonator or such, intended to keep noise out of
the passenger compartment? What would the car sound like with it replaced by a
simple pipe section? I'd leave the tailpipe muffler in place. I believe the
flat muffler is the pricey one.

TIA.
Old February 3rd 05, 12:56 PM
Papa

My 1988 VW Cabriolet Convertible only has the rearmost muffler. The exhaust
system is definitely louder configured that way, but not too bad - but then
I have a hearing problem anyway. You may not like it.

I doubt if the warranty for your car's exhaust system is covered for that
length of time - especially if you are not the original owner. However, the
VW dealership should be able to answer that question.

Old February 3rd 05, 01:22 PM

Sometimes parts have a lifetime waranty. I think that some
manufacturers offer a lifetime warranty on replacement exhaust
systems. Call the dealer to see. Their exhaust may be cheaper but at
least better made than a Meineke (sp?) exhaust system. Every thing in
the exhaust that is not a pipe is there to knock down noise. That
thing you are looking at is sometimes referred to as a resonator. If
you like quiet go with an exhaust that has both the resonator and the
muffler. It will sound louder without it.

(DriveSpy) wrote:

>Someone in another thread was saying VW's have lifetime exhaust system
>warranty, and I believe they were talking about an older car. 92 perhaps. Now
>I'm not sure if this concerns the car as originally built or if it is a
>warranty on exhaust system work performed at a VW dealer. My warranty book
>says nothing about this. Reason I ask is my 94 Jetta original exhaust is in
>need of replacement, virtually from the cat back. All I want is OEM type
>exhaust and am looking at about $400 for the job at Meinke (sp?), who I'm not
>too certain about to begin with.
> Related question. What is the purpose of that mid-section muffler on a 2.0.
> The big flat one. Is it a resonator or such, intended to keep noise out of
>the passenger compartment? What would the car sound like with it replaced by a
>simple pipe section? I'd leave the tailpipe muffler in place. I believe the
>flat muffler is the pricey one.
>
>TIA.

Jim B.
Old February 3rd 05, 02:49 PM
Chicago Paddling-Fishing

Papa > wrote:
: My 1988 VW Cabriolet Convertible only has the rearmost muffler. The exhaust
: system is definitely louder configured that way, but not too bad - but then
: I have a hearing problem anyway. You may not like it.

Cost me about $120 for a single muffler system for my 86 GTI... then, after
driving it for a few weeks I thought it was too loud so I took it back, had
them cut the pipe and weld in a straight flowthru resonator... another $70
but it sounds much better and not too loud...

--
John Nelson
Chicago Area Paddling/Fishing Page
Old February 3rd 05, 03:34 PM
Archangel

All I can attest to is what happens with my car. I have the 92 Jetta. I
bought the car in April of 95 with 62,000 miles on it. In August of same
year I had to replace the exhaust system. Fortunately for me I had a friend
who was a mechanic at the dealer so he replaced the exhaust for the dealers
cost and charge no labor. I paid about $250 for the whole thing from
converter back. Maybe the dealers have different parts they use that don't
have a lifetime warranty,maybe you have to ask for it or maybe they've
changed things all together?(Their customer service has gone down in the
past few years. This also varies from dealer to dealer as one dealer in my
area refuses to work on older VW's pre 97) Mine is covered for life when I
need a new exhaust all I have to do is show the paper work to the dealer and
they put a new one on for me. I just pay for labor. The last time Oct 2004
it was $93. Considering I've owned the car for ten years and have put on
100,000 miles myself I think it was well worth the investment.

Old February 3rd 05, 04:15 PM
Papa

"Chicago Paddling-Fishing" > wrote in message
> Papa > wrote:
> : My 1988 VW Cabriolet Convertible only has the rearmost muffler. The
> exhaust
> : system is definitely louder configured that way, but not too bad - but
> then
> : I have a hearing problem anyway. You may not like it.
>
> Cost me about $120 for a single muffler system for my 86 GTI... then,
> after
> driving it for a few weeks I thought it was too loud so I took it back,
> had
> them cut the pipe and weld in a straight flowthru resonator... another $70
> but it sounds much better and not too loud...

The prices you mentioned sound very reasonable. Who did the work?

Old February 3rd 05, 10:07 PM
Woodchuck

Call your dealer! Unless changed only replacement exhaust mufflers carry the
lifetime thing. Not the OEM from when the car was made.

Old February 4th 05, 12:00 AM
Rob Guenther

Found that out today (original equipment not covered)

My Catalytic converter WILL be covered by an emissions warranty ($1159
part!!!) but the mid-pipe is not covered... not too sure about the labour,
service desk guy didn't mention it.

Seems like the catalytic converter rusted right where the tapered section is
and took the mid pipe with it, funny I didn't hear or feel anything fall off
the car.... The exhaust just got louder all of a sudden.
"Woodchuck" > wrote in message
> Call your dealer! Unless changed only replacement exhaust mufflers carry
> the lifetime thing. Not the OEM from when the car was made.
>
> "DriveSpy" > wrote in message
>> Someone in another thread was saying VW's have lifetime exhaust system
>> warranty, and I believe they were talking about an older car. 92
>> perhaps. Now
>> I'm not sure if this concerns the car as originally built or if it is a
>> warranty on exhaust system work performed at a VW dealer. My warranty
>> book
>> says nothing about this. Reason I ask is my 94 Jetta original exhaust is
>> in
>> need of replacement, virtually from the cat back. All I want is OEM type
>> exhaust and am looking at about $400 for the job at Meinke (sp?), who I'm
>> not
>> too certain about to begin with.
>> Related question. What is the purpose of that mid-section muffler on a
>> 2.0.
>> The big flat one. Is it a resonator or such, intended to keep noise out
>> of
>> the passenger compartment? What would the car sound like with it
>> replaced by a
>> simple pipe section? I'd leave the tailpipe muffler in place. I believe
>> the
>> flat muffler is the pricey one.
>>
>> TIA.

98 Jetta water pump...cpo warranty Woodchuck VW water cooled 3 January 7th 05 01:33 AM
C5 problems (98 in particular) radar Corvette 12 January 3rd 05 10:04 PM
93 SW2 Exhaust, how many pieces Zaf Saturn 0 June 1st 04 07:38 PM
Honoring lifetime warranty? DS General 4 April 19th 04 05:29 PM
2001 Subaru Outback: exhaust smell out of vent system halvey General 1 January 30th 04 12:12 AM