Changing the air filter on a 1990 Audi 80 Quattro?

Old January 9th 08, 01:03 AM posted to alt.autos.audi

Default Changing the air filter on a 1990 Audi 80 Quattro?

Ok, I checked the bentley manual, And it states to take the car to
the dealer to change the air filter. WTF the reason for the manual was
to learn how to do it yourself. Any help would be great thanks.
Old January 9th 08, 02:11 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
dave AKA vwdoc1

It could be worse and the instructions might simply read.......
removal steps
1. "Take out old filter"

2. "Reverse removal steps to install"

some repair manuals are just useless on certain repairs, but helpful on others! ;-)
--
later,
dave
Old January 9th 08, 02:06 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Dano58

On Jan 8, 9:11 pm, "dave AKA vwdoc1" > wrote:
> It could be worse and the instructions might simply read.......
> removal steps
> 1. "Take out old filter"
>
> 2. "Reverse removal steps to install"
>
> some repair manuals are just useless on certain repairs, but helpful on others! ;-)

I suspect the OP is having trouble finding where the filter is....!
I'm not familiar with the 80 but there should be a large square or
round black plastic box that contains the filter. There are probably
some clips that hold the top on or hold the 2 halves together. It's
and easy job.

Dan D
'04 A4 1.8Tq MT-6
Central NJ USA

Old January 9th 08, 10:22 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
dave AKA vwdoc1

Well on some of the Audi with the 5 cylinders it might be a little harder than others with 4 cylinders. ;-)
It "SHOULD" be easy but I have not seen an Audi 80 Quattro, so I don't know. I would ASSuME that the air filter is on the right side of the engine compartment and can be found by following the large intake boot from the intake manifold.

If this is a turbo engine then all bets are off! lol
--
later,
dave

Old January 10th 08, 11:26 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Ed Pirrero

On Jan 8, 5:03*pm, wrote:
> Ok, I checked the bentley manual, And *it states to take the car to
> the dealer to change the air filter. WTF the reason for the manual was
> to learn how to do it yourself. Any help would be great thanks.

It's a monster PITA to get to. It's on the left front. And the fuel
distributor is part of the top of the airbox. You have to about half-
disassemble the intake tract to get to it.

It may be worth your while to take it to an independent, if only to
save yourself the hassle.

I'm not kidding about the PITA part - you'll see.

BTW, on my turbo Audi, it's VERY easy to get to.

E.P.
Old January 11th 08, 01:40 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
dave AKA vwdoc1

Wow I would like to see a picture of this air filter box.
I have not seen an Audi 80 with the air filter box on the Left side, but I have not seen the 80 Quattros.
I would think it should look like my '83 Audi 4000S and be on the Right side under the fuel distributor.
On the '83 I have to pop off the 4 clips, and one is a PITA usually, and then carefully take the top part of the air filter box and lift it up. The top part also houses the fuel distributor.
I usually find it easier to take off the large intake boot. ;-)

Old January 11th 08, 05:45 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Ed Pirrero

On Jan 10, 5:40 pm, "dave AKA vwdoc1" > wrote:
> Wow I would like to see a picture of this air filter box.
> I have not seen an Audi 80 with the air filter box on the Left side, but I have not seen the 80 Quattros.
> I would think it should look like my '83 Audi 4000S and be on the Right side under the fuel distributor.
> On the '83 I have to pop off the 4 clips, and one is a PITA usually, and then carefully take the top part of the air filter box and lift it up. The top part also houses the fuel distributor.
> I usually find it easier to take off the large intake boot. ;-)

Sorry, Dave, you are correct. It is on *the right side of the car*.
Your left as the hood is open.

And yeah, the boot, the clips...

Even after that, you have to horse the new filter around quite a bit
to get it under there.

E.P.

Old January 12th 08, 05:46 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
SpoolinS6

when u open the hood of the car look at the left side lower corner
theyre u will find the air box
in between the air box and fender u will find some clips
un-do those and the clips beside the engine
pull up the upper cover and vuala u have your old filter take out the
old one and reverse what u just did

--
SpoolinS6
SpoolinS6's Profile: http://www.audiforum.ca/member.php?userid=1016

Old January 23rd 08, 03:04 AM posted to alt.autos.audi

It was simple once I cut out a piece of the fender. This has to be one
of the dumbest locations for an air box. The car is being prepped for
the 24 hrs of LeMons, so I don't care if some of the inside fender is
cut off. Here is a link for a picture.
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/j...l/P1210106.jpg

At the bottom middle you should see a hole. Normally I bolt goes there
but I cut the bottom to have space to remove the air filter.
Now I have any question. What is the vacumm servo. If you look at the
picture in front of the battery. Ok I lied I have another question.
What is the carbon canister? Is it part of the emmisions control? If I
remove it, what would happen. Thanks for the help.

1990 audi V8 Quattro problem Wild Bill Audi 14 January 18th 07 01:24 AM
Oil filter changing irritation and fuel filter question. Some Dude Ford Explorer 4 August 19th 06 01:04 AM
1990 Audi Coupe Quattro 20V Kent VW water cooled 2 June 5th 05 07:05 AM
1990 Audi V8 Quattro help John Audi 1 May 29th 05 01:59 AM
Audi Quattro at Deutschland Rally and Audi in LMES photos maggy p Audi 0 August 24th 04 03:27 PM