99 Jetta Idling Crappy

Old January 12th 08, 10:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
thump3r

Default 99 Jetta Idling Crappy

I've got an intermittent issue with my 99 Jetta. It drives fine, but
idling, it pulses from ~800RPM to ~500RPM (and sometime stalls). It
doesn't happen all the time, but seems to happen more often when the
engine is cold or there's an electrical load (headlights, loud stereo,
power windows, etc). I've done a tune-up (oil w/ filter, top off
fluids, spark plugs, wires, and distributer cap). I went to AutoZoo
and PepNuts, and they suggested a bad ground or alternator/battery
fault. I had them run a free check on the battery/alternator which
turned up fine, but I replaced the alternator and drive belts anyway
because I'm stubborn. Needless to say, it's still idling like poo and
I don't know what to try next. Any ideas? -Dan
Old January 13th 08, 06:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
dave AKA vwdoc1

BTW you did not mention which engine you have in this Jetta!
I will assume you have a 2.0l but I don't know.

what brand and type of spark plugs are you using?
Engine check light on or can you scan the ECM for codes?
MIght be the ign coil getting weaker.
Or a dirty throttle body that needs cleaning and an adaptation done.

Old January 13th 08, 12:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 14:16:23 -0800 (PST), thump3r > wrote:

>I've got an intermittent issue with my 99 Jetta. It drives fine, but
>idling, it pulses from ~800RPM to ~500RPM (and sometime stalls). It
>doesn't happen all the time, but seems to happen more often when the
>engine is cold or there's an electrical load (headlights, loud stereo,
>power windows, etc). I've done a tune-up (oil w/ filter, top off
>fluids, spark plugs, wires, and distributer cap). I went to AutoZoo
>and PepNuts, and they suggested a bad ground or alternator/battery
>fault. I had them run a free check on the battery/alternator which
>turned up fine, but I replaced the alternator and drive belts anyway
>because I'm stubborn. Needless to say, it's still idling like poo and
>I don't know what to try next. Any ideas? -Dan

I'd also check all vacuum lines and connectors for cracks and leaks.
Old January 13th 08, 04:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
thump3r

It's a 2.0L GL and I've got Bosch 4+ plugs. I had the ECM scanned a
while ago because of an intermittent check engine light and I think it
gave a few errors about misfiring on multiple cylinders, which is why
I replaced the plugs wires and cap. I'll check on the ignition coil
and throttle body and get back to ya. Thanks!

Old January 13th 08, 04:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
thump3r

Ok cool. Thanks for the tip!

Old January 13th 08, 05:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Peter Parker

In article >,
thump3r > wrote:
>It's a 2.0L GL and I've got Bosch 4+ plugs. I had the ECM scanned a
>while ago because of an intermittent check engine light and I think it
>gave a few errors about misfiring on multiple cylinders, which is why
>I replaced the plugs wires and cap. I'll check on the ignition coil
>and throttle body and get back to ya. Thanks!

When you check the throttle body, check the hose that goes from the TB
to the MAF. If there is a crack in that hose, it will let in extra air
and this will result in a crappy idle or no idle if you come to a stop
after driving. IOW, the engine will die. This happened to me and was
just a TB hose replacement.

--
Jeeps and dubs and everything's nice...
Old January 13th 08, 05:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
dave AKA vwdoc1

Default 99 Jetta 2.0l Idling Crappy

I vote you take those spark plugs out and install the dealer ones. Sorry but I have seen a few engine running problems due to just the spark plugs.
If your engine has a distributor then your sparks plugs should be something like F8RS or FR8S. What plugs did you pull out?

Old January 15th 08, 03:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Matt B.

"dave AKA vwdoc1" > wrote in message
. net...
>I vote you take those spark plugs out and install the dealer ones. Sorry
>but I have seen a few engine running problems due to just the spark plugs.

If your engine has a distributor then your sparks plugs should be something
like F8RS or FR8S. What plugs did you pull out?

Agreed. The Bosch 4-prong plugs I've heard no good about. Don't have to go
dealer exactly but at least get the dealer-equivalent at your local FLAPS.

Old January 15th 08, 08:47 PM posted to news.admin.net-abuse.usenet, rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
thump3r

wtf?

Old January 15th 08, 10:09 PM posted to news.admin.net-abuse.usenet, rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Whiskers

["Followup-To:" header set to news.admin.net-abuse.usenet.]
On 2008-01-15, thump3r > wrote:
> On Jan 14, 9:06 pm, thump3r > wrote:

[...]

> wtf?

See my reply (Message-ID:
>) to Duwaynea
Anderson in the thread "Anything the prophet might do, to deprive himself
of your sustaining vote?"

--
-- Whiskers

96 Jetta Idling Problems Peter Parker VW water cooled 1 June 20th 05 09:14 PM
Crappy D35 out Ben Jeep 1 March 28th 05 01:55 AM
IN-CRE-DI-BLE (crappy) luck Jan Andersson VW air cooled 9 November 8th 04 05:17 AM
1994 Jetta GLS is idling high scullyis VW water cooled 0 October 22nd 04 10:39 PM